Notices

A/C sound?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Toyota newbie...
cornwall325 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jonathan
cornwall325's Tacoma Gallery
A/C sound?

I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who's noticed what seems like to me a funny sound when you turn the a/c on after initial startup? I started my truck today after work and probably a few seconds later turned the a/c on and I heard some type of sound from under the hood when the a/c came on. Am I dreaming or are there some of you who have noticed the same thing? Any input on this would be much appreciated. I feel like it's something normal but just wanted to post and see what you all had to say about it and explain it to me.

thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I get a grind like sound,sorta sounds like a big animal coughing. From what i hear its the clutch engaging. It makes less noise if you wait about 3 minutes before you turn it on.

It's annoys me from day 1
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
our trucks have kinda loud compressors anyways. that might be what your hearing
Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
My noise is similar to clearing your throat,in a metal truck way, lasts 2/3s of a second perhaps when i turn a/c on.I wait until the idle goes down and I'm at the next stop/redlight and go into A/C, sucks on a hot day lol.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
A/C Noise

I hear the exact same noise, it sounds like a grinding noise as if there is two metal surfaces rubbing against each other. I took it in for them to take a look at it, they didn't find anything wrong with the A/C.
Try waiting for the car to warm up and wait to turn it on at a higher speed, I usually turn it on when I get on the highway. This sometimes helps not to make that noise.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
mine sounds like crickets chirping