LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Storage Locks

Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Lifeoffroad03 is on a distinguished road

Lifeoffroad03's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Storage Locks

Alright so this isn't much of a mod but so far i haven't seen it and it was cheap so I thought I would post. Keep in mind that I wouldn't trust valuables in here but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that my tie downs and bungees are safe.

I'll post better pictures soon. This was my cheap ass cell phone. All they are are 5 dollar file cabinet locks from home depot. Took about 10 minutes to get it all together.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed Storage Locks-img00014.jpg   Bed Storage Locks-img00015.jpg  
Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
If you like this mod, you do not need to drill a new hole for a lock. There are locks that will fit the holes of the "thumb locks" from the factory. Just take one out and go to home depot or lowes and find one that will fit.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
If you like this mod, you do not need to drill a new hole for a lock. There are locks that will fit the holes of the "thumb locks" from the factory. Just take one out and go to home depot or lowes and find one that will fit.
Hmm . i kind of like this idea.. Rather than modify the thumb locks, like the other way its done. just drill a hole..
Old 09-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
Hmm . i kind of like this idea.. Rather than modify the thumb locks, like the other way its done. just drill a hole..
There is no modification to the thumb locks- you just unscrew it, then screw in a new lock. More of a factory look to me, but if you want to drill a hole in your cover go ahead.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
There is no modification to the thumb locks- you just unscrew it, then screw in a new lock. More of a factory look to me, but if you want to drill a hole in your cover go ahead.
You can do this but then you would need one in each hole. I tried it and if you only put one lock in you can still bend the plastic open. I didn't want 2 locks on each.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I like this method.

rep! sent

Quote:
if I remember correctly this method required trimming in order for the locks to work.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
I like this method.

rep! sent

if I remember correctly this method required trimming in order for the locks to work.
You would have to drill the holes out a tad. There is only one size diameter lock at Home Depot and it wouldnt quite fit the existing holes. I'll post more pics when it is on the truck and to be honest it looks pretty clean. looks factory.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Prerunners Work

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeoffroad03 View Post
You can do this but then you would need one in each hole. I tried it and if you only put one lock in you can still bend the plastic open. I didn't want 2 locks on each.
I have thought about this mod, and figured it would take two locks to work. Even then they could still pry it pretty easy... and they might just because its locked...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
I have thought about this mod, and figured it would take two locks to work. Even then they could still pry it pretty easy... and they might just because its locked...
Yeah but it keeps the honest people honest and at least im not giving my stuff away. Like i said i wouldn't keep my life savings in it but its nice to know the average person walking by cant take my tie downs. Also, it was such an easy and cheap mod why not..
Old 09-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Or, you can consider a serious lockable storage option...

Check the link below...

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/bd/p-23...y-lockbox.aspx
I love the extra space that provides. Im just gonna wait until i can afford the tri fold bed cover. I need it for my 4x4 stroller
Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
sdel82 is on a distinguished road
sdel82's Tacoma Gallery
The stroller has to go in the back!!! But if an item can fit in the little compartment, why not put it in the cab somewhere??????? A little more secure DUH!!!! A serious lockable storage option? LOL
Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter82 View Post
The stroller has to go in the back!!! But if it can fit in the little compartment, why not put it in the cab somewhere??????? A little more secure DUH!!!! A serious lockable storage option? LOL
uuuummm I don't get it. Am i missing something......
Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
sdel82 is on a distinguished road
sdel82's Tacoma Gallery
Yea...................................
Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Yea...................................
great. Thanks for the constructive input.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #16
Prerunners Work

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The stroller has to go in the back!!! But if an item can fit in the little compartment, why not put it in the cab somewhere??????? A little more secure DUH!!!! A serious lockable storage option? LOL
It would seem harder for the thief to steal anything out of that security box vs breaking into the cab of the truck to steal something.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #17
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
How bout we just take it as it is...an easy budget mod to keep people from walking away with some of your shit with no effort. Yeah, 2 locks more secure, 185.00 even more space & more secure. Past that, some damn fool will try to get into anything locked no matter how good it's locked or just steal the whole damn truck. There's always some shinier better more expensive options. This is another option, it's all about options. Thanks for posting the mod.