Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Preferred Method Of Repairing Paint Chips?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Preferred Method Of Repairing Paint Chips?

Not even 1500mi on my Tacoma and already found a pencil tip sized zinger on the hood. Do most of you just get the touch up paint from the dealership or is there a better option? Many thanks for any insight!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Ugly hood protector thing not as ugly as freckle faced hood...........
Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
On the same subject, my truck has quite a few chips on the front. The paint seems pretty cheap on the bumper.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I have to respectfully disagree.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Soon as I get her ready for wheelin, the mudflaps are coming off...and I have a plan to deal with rock chips. But I can't share it yet, because it's top secret.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just don't want anyone copying/trying it before I have a chance to
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Just cut 3" off my flaps today. Seem to handle the bumps a bit better without hitting so often
Old 09-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
Gotcha,... you will share if you succeed??

Oh yes....very much so...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not even 1500mi on my Tacoma and already found a pencil tip sized zinger on the hood. Do most of you just get the touch up paint from the dealership or is there a better option? Many thanks for any insight!
If you want the damaged area to look like nothing ever happened it can be a time consuming process but well worth it if you want your ride to stay pristine. Google the interweb for the best way. I haven't done it yet but the key is prep and letting the paint harden for a few days before smoothing it out. Also you can't be afraid to do some light wet sanding and buffing. Also when you apply the touch up paint use a toothpick and lightly fill the void. Once the paint comes off of the tip of the toothpick it will spread and fill in nicely.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #12

Wanted to bump this up since we got a bit off track. Still lookin for a simple solution.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
berdinkerdickle is on a distinguished road
berdinkerdickle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
This is what I use...with factory touchup pen/paint.

http://www.langka.com/
Boy-O'-Boy, does that look like a solution.

http://www.langka.com/faq.php

I'm going to Google them and see what kinda postive comments others have made about them.
If it works, I'd say we have a winner.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Correct, as long as it Is not the ugly OEM device which also causes damage to said hood.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPilot View Post
Wanted to bump this up since we got a bit off track. Still lookin for a simple solution.
There is no 'solution' unless you have use of Mr. Peabodys wayback machine.

The key is to avoid them in the 1st place, as noted in the above posts. They will never look the same using touch up paint only.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Add scratches. Makes it look like it went and conquered offroad. That's how I roll.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Soon as I get her ready for wheelin, the mudflaps are coming off...and I have a plan to deal with rock chips. But I can't share it yet, because it's top secret.
Bedlining the rock panel's been done before