Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

rust on the bumper

Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
michigantacoowner is on a distinguished road
michigantacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
rust on the bumper

My 07 DC is now sporting rust spots in two different places on the rear (chrome) bumper. The dealer is telling me this is not a covered item. Anyone else having this problem and what are you doing to fix it?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I scrapped it for a custom tube bumper.

Yeah, I know. I'm no help.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
did he explain how thats not covered in the warranty? that sounds like BS to me
Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
did he explain how thats not covered in the warranty? that sounds like BS to me
No, I'm quite certain that a tube bumper wouldn't be covered under warranty.

I'm feeling way too snarky to be useful today. I'll stop posting for awhile.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
i'm with ndcouch on this one.

if its original equipment how is it not covered? don't tacomas come with a rust through warranty ???
Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
If the rust is on the base metal, and the plating is damaged, I would think warranty would/should handle it, but if it is rail dust adhering to the metal and rusting, it is not covered. Any vehicle shipped rail should be checked, and have the situation taken care of during PDI. Check the entire truck over in proper lighting and see if there is any other damage if what is on the bumper turns out to be rail dust. There was a TSB years ago where affected vehicles were given a mild acid wash to dissolve the dust, followed by a re-wax. It may be hard to get the selling dealer/current dealer (if different) to handle after delivery, due to the fact anything can happen after you take delivery that the dealer has no control over.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Papaken is on a distinguished road

Papaken's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,

I just noticed some rust spots on my '08 rear bumper. 2k mi!
Not a happy camper. I will post what dealer says when I bring it up.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
m_taker1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
m_taker1's Tacoma Gallery
i washed my 07 the other day and noticed some rust dots on the chrome bumper also. haven't had a chance to do anything about it. i have had mine for a year
Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
It happens to a lot of the 05+ Tacos. I have heard of a few owners that had their bumpers replaced. When I brought my truck to the dealer (6 months old) and showed the service manager, he said there was nothing he could do. I will take the truck back right before my warranty is up and hopefully there will be a TSB by then; if not, I will insist on a fix. I figure the more people that bring this to Toyota's attention, the better chance I will have of getting replaced.

As for the member with the tube bumper...pics?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
That's total BS it should be handled by the bumper to bumper--henceforth the word BUMPER !
Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #12

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
As for the member with the tube bumper...pics?

I'm still no help.