LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

transmission "slips" on steep uphill starts?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
franzofthevalley is on a distinguished road
franzofthevalley's Tacoma Gallery
transmission "slips" on steep uphill starts?

Hi -
I have a new Tacoma 4x4 SR5 v6 a/t. 8000 miles on it now. I have a job site where I enter thru a gate onto a steep uphill. I have to stop and get out to shut the gate. I put the truck in park, set the e-brake, shut the gate, put the shifter in D position, release the e-brake and try to start up the hill. I hear sort of a chattering sound, and the truck won't move forward. Anyone come accross this? Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing uphill starts in a different shifter position?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

Your fluid could be more tward the rear of the tranny, or draining out of the converter when on the grade. Try this. After you put it in Drive, give it a second before taking off....See if that does anything. Then, you may have to have the dealer look at it.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Could be one of the traction/brake systems doing something for you. Maybe you are breaking a tire free and the TRAC system is activating (reducing engine power and applying the brake to the spinning tire). Maybe your truck has hill start assist (or is that only in manual trans. trucks?).