LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission cooler install

Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
cousin_jim is on a distinguished road
cousin_jim's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Transmission cooler install

I am going to add an aftermarket transmission cooler to my 2009 doublecab prerunner. How much transmission fluid should be added, if any, when doing this?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I would add about 1/2 a quart or whatever you think would fill the cooler, start up truck, let it circulate for a bit then check stick for fluid at cold full mark & add a bit to get it there if not on cold full mark then go drive it to get it warm then come back and check stick for fluid at hot mark & add if necessary.

BTW, welcome aboard.............
Old 09-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
The 2009 doublecab prerunner doesn't have a transmission dipstick. Couldn't find it and called the service department. They said it doesn't have one and the transmission is maintenance free for 100,000 miles. So there will be no way to check the level. I thought about filling the cooler up with transmission fluid when installing. What do you think?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its gonna take WS fluid. Find out what the cooler holds, then add that much in. Take it to the dealer to have them check and adjust after the install.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
SYC TACO
VixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Victor
VixTacom's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to VixTacom
i would leave good alone when it comes to transmission stuff
Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
I am upgrading towards the towing package that I should have gotten. Want to pull a camper.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Tebow Apologist
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Since you are doing an install, i was wondering if you would tell me what oil cooler you used. Brand and part number would be great!

Here is someones info I found regarding your fill level question.

6) I just followed the refill and level check instructions found in the mechanic's manual. Was a pain in the butt, but got it done. Here is a link to the PDF. http://www.mediafire.com/?09pcelpmccj
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Derale Series 8000 from etrailer.com Part #D13502 is rated for about 17,500 lbs GVW which you don't find out until you get the box. I saw where someone said you should 3X your GVW so I don't know if it is big enough.

The link you posted for level check doesn't work.

Jim
Old 09-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Tebow Apologist
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin_jim View Post
Derale Series 8000 from etrailer.com Part #D13502 is rated for about 17,500 lbs GVW which you don't find out until you get the box. I saw where someone said you should 3X your GVW so I don't know if it is big enough.

The link you posted for level check doesn't work.

Jim
Ok I didn't check the link, but I did do a google search and saw a few writeups on other tacoma forums. You may want to try that. Good luck!