Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

my lift is creaking and squeaking

Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Tio Pepe has a spectacular aura aboutTio Pepe has a spectacular aura about
Tio Pepe's Tacoma Gallery
my lift is creaking and squeaking

I had my local shop put an OME lift kit with AAL and UCAs a month or so ago. When I got my truck back it looked sweet and the ride was excellent. It was tight and smooth and I got it up to 90mph and no vibes. I took it out to the country and eased it through some bumps and it was very solid. I was very pleased. Then it started making squeaking noises. The noise is mostly up front and seems to be driver side. It squeaks and creaks at low speeds both on and off pavement. It even creaks and squeaks when I get in and out of the truck (I do weigh about 220lbs). I took it back to my guy and they checked it out. He said everything was good and tight and they greased it up or something. He didnt charge me anything and when it left the shop all was quiet. That was two weeks ago and now the noises are back. Anyone have any insight/suggestions?

**Disclaimer - I cant spell "Do it Yourself"
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Light racing UCAs I believe. would that be dirt and dust on parts after install or before? I wasnt doing any serious offroading like wheeling, I just was easing through the woods checking a fence line. But the noises did start after I first got back from driving through woods with new lift. What can be done here?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Rollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the rough
Rollinn's Tacoma Gallery
lube all your a arm points and anything that moves w/ some lithium grease everytime you wash it or when you want the noise to go away.. Just dirt and such is all.. Do NOT use wd40 as it dries out bushings
Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Thats not going to happen. I have no idea what lithium grease is, so the odds that I will use it when I wash my truck is slim to none. Even if I did have lithium grease, why should I have to grease a part every 3-4 weeks to keep it from chirpping? Are these really UCAs that sensitive? All I did was do some very light off roading. If I would have known that they are that high maintainence I would have never got them. All the experts on here highly recommneded UCAs with a lift, but not once did I read, "oh by the way you have to grease them up with lithium every month." I am sure what you suggest would work, but I just catn imagine thats my only option, especially since its never going to happen for me.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Dude you just changed all of your suspension components, you need to grease it. Otherwise live with the squeaking. Its really not that hard to grease these areas
Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
Dude you just changed all of your suspension components, you need to grease it. Otherwise live with the squeaking. Its really not that hard to grease these areas
agreed. if you dont want to maintain your brand new truck,stop asking about the sqeaking.lol. when ever you modify your truck(raise it or lower it) its never the same wether its sqeaks,shudder,some kind of rubbing,or pogo stick ride. did i leave anything out?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
It was just greased two weeks ago, and two weeks before that. Is that how often it needs it, every two weeks? Am I the only one who thinks that's absurd? I know that its not hard to grease parts, I just dont have the time or the tools to do it myself. The local shop here does thousands of these lifts, so they know how to grease it, and have done so twice already. I just thought that maybe someone on here might have some different perspective to offer before I carry it back to my guy and tell him to do the obvious and re-grease it.

So does everyone that has a suspension lift have it start making noises as soon as it gets dirt in it, or is it luck of the draw? And do all of you have grease guns and grease your suspension every two weeks? I have a hard time believing that.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Pepe View Post
It was just greased two weeks ago, and two weeks before that. Is that how often it needs it, every two weeks? Am I the only one who thinks that's absurd? I know that its not hard to grease parts, I just dont have the time or the tools to do it myself. The local shop here does thousands of these lifts, so they know how to grease it, and have done so twice already. I just thought that maybe someone on here might have some different perspective to offer before I carry it back to my guy and tell him to do the obvious and re-grease it.

So does everyone that has a suspension lift have it start making noises as soon as it gets dirt in it, or is it luck of the draw? And do all of you have grease guns and grease your suspension every two weeks? I have a hard time believing that.
no doubt its absurd. try to go to another shop and see if they find anyting wrong with it.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
i agree with him. If the lift is that crappy then it may not be worth it. You'd think they could make a lower maintenance type lift.

We all care about that to a certain degree as we bought Toyota's which are known for the reliability and build quality.

I'm going to have to think about the toytec more now....thx for the heads up.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
New poly bushings should be greased when they are installed and the bolts tightened with the full weight of the truck on them.

I don't think you should have to grease them every couple of weeks though.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
I installed Icons and Tc ucas a week or so ago and the uca's squeaked really bad. I then took the tc ucas out, cleaned and regreased the whole thing. I re-installed everything and I was happy - squeak free!! Now, a few days later, my squeaking is back!!! Fck!!! Very annoying. Everytime I hit a bump or something I hear this annoying noise. I thought I fixed the squeaking but its back now. And, I put so much damn grease on the bushings, you couldn't get more grease on those bastards.
I'm not so sure I could live with this squeaking now...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianboy View Post
I installed Icons and Tc ucas a week or so ago and the uca's squeaked really bad. I then took the tc ucas out, cleaned and regreased the whole thing. I re-installed everything and I was happy - squeak free!! Now, a few days later, my squeaking is back!!! Fck!!! Very annoying. Everytime I hit a bump or something I hear this annoying noise. I thought I fixed the squeaking but its back now. And, I put so much damn grease on the bushings, you couldn't get more grease on those bastards.
I'm not so sure I could live with this squeaking now...
That seems strange. Have someone push down on your fender and duplicat the squeak, get close to the UCA and see if you can identify its location.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #14
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
You should get your ball-joints checked
Old 09-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #15
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Its common for even the most expensive set ups to squeak, and lubing regularly seems to be the cure for those who do not like the squeaks.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Its common for even the most expensive set ups to squeak, and lubing regularly seems to be the cure for those who do not like the squeaks.
TC's are quiet.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
my camburg uniball UCAs have been squeekin like a bitch since i got them on but i have waited to grease them because i knew i needed a special grease... i plan on taking care of it today but i still need some clarification on which grease to use... does anyone know that actual product name or a link to the product so there is no confusion?

i've heard about lithium, dry, spray... etc. and not sure what it is i need

any help?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
my camburg uniball UCAs have been squeekin like a bitch since i got them on but i have waited to grease them because i knew i needed a special grease... i plan on taking care of it today but i still need some clarification on which grease to use... does anyone know that actual product name or a link to the product so there is no confusion?

i've heard about lithium, dry, spray... etc. and not sure what it is i need

any help?
You need a dry teflon lube for the Uniballs.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You need a dry teflon lube for the Uniballs.

thanks... and what about the bushings... does it matter?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
thanks... and what about the bushings... does it matter?
I dont think it matters. I use Mobil 1 grease on them.