1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my lift is creaking and squeaking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tio Pepe, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Sep 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    Tio Pepe

Tio Pepe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4-Dbl Cab, Long Bed, SR5, SUPERCHARGED
    TRD installed Supercharger, Air Intake, & Exhaust. 3" lift with OME 885's & OME AAL. JBA shorty headers
    I had my local shop put an OME lift kit with AAL and UCAs a month or so ago. When I got my truck back it looked sweet and the ride was excellent. It was tight and smooth and I got it up to 90mph and no vibes. I took it out to the country and eased it through some bumps and it was very solid. I was very pleased. Then it started making squeaking noises. The noise is mostly up front and seems to be driver side. It squeaks and creaks at low speeds both on and off pavement. It even creaks and squeaks when I get in and out of the truck (I do weigh about 220lbs). I took it back to my guy and they checked it out. He said everything was good and tight and they greased it up or something. He didnt charge me anything and when it left the shop all was quiet. That was two weeks ago and now the noises are back. Anyone have any insight/suggestions?

**Disclaimer - I cant spell "Do it Yourself"

2. Sep 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Sounds like dust and dirt in all the parts. What UCAs did you use??

3. Sep 18, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    Tio Pepe

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    TRD installed Supercharger, Air Intake, & Exhaust. 3" lift with OME 885's & OME AAL. JBA shorty headers
    Light racing UCAs I believe. would that be dirt and dust on parts after install or before? I wasnt doing any serious offroading like wheeling, I just was easing through the woods checking a fence line. But the noises did start after I first got back from driving through woods with new lift. What can be done here?

4. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    Rollinn

Rollinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner sport
    Icon 2.5 c/o,TC uca, bhlm mod, nav, etc etc
    lube all your a arm points and anything that moves w/ some lithium grease everytime you wash it or when you want the noise to go away.. Just dirt and such is all.. Do NOT use wd40 as it dries out bushings

5. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    Tio Pepe

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    Thats not going to happen. I have no idea what lithium grease is, so the odds that I will use it when I wash my truck is slim to none. Even if I did have lithium grease, why should I have to grease a part every 3-4 weeks to keep it from chirpping? Are these really UCAs that sensitive? All I did was do some very light off roading. If I would have known that they are that high maintainence I would have never got them. All the experts on here highly recommneded UCAs with a lift, but not once did I read, "oh by the way you have to grease them up with lithium every month." I am sure what you suggest would work, but I just catn imagine thats my only option, especially since its never going to happen for me.

6. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Dude you just changed all of your suspension components, you need to grease it. Otherwise live with the squeaking. Its really not that hard to grease these areas

Firebird likes this.
  7. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    agreed. if you dont want to maintain your brand new truck,stop asking about the sqeaking.lol. when ever you modify your truck(raise it or lower it) its never the same wether its sqeaks,shudder,some kind of rubbing,or pogo stick ride. did i leave anything out?

8. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    Tio Pepe

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    It was just greased two weeks ago, and two weeks before that. Is that how often it needs it, every two weeks? Am I the only one who thinks that's absurd? I know that its not hard to grease parts, I just dont have the time or the tools to do it myself. The local shop here does thousands of these lifts, so they know how to grease it, and have done so twice already. I just thought that maybe someone on here might have some different perspective to offer before I carry it back to my guy and tell him to do the obvious and re-grease it.

So does everyone that has a suspension lift have it start making noises as soon as it gets dirt in it, or is it luck of the draw? And do all of you have grease guns and grease your suspension every two weeks? I have a hard time believing that.

9. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    no doubt its absurd. try to go to another shop and see if they find anyting wrong with it.

10. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i agree with him. If the lift is that crappy then it may not be worth it. You'd think they could make a lower maintenance type lift.

We all care about that to a certain degree as we bought Toyota's which are known for the reliability and build quality.

I'm going to have to think about the toytec more now....thx for the heads up.

11. Sep 18, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    New poly bushings should be greased when they are installed and the bolts tightened with the full weight of the truck on them.

I don't think you should have to grease them every couple of weeks though.

12. Sep 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    I installed Icons and Tc ucas a week or so ago and the uca's squeaked really bad. I then took the tc ucas out, cleaned and regreased the whole thing. I re-installed everything and I was happy - squeak free!! Now, a few days later, my squeaking is back!!! Fck!!! Very annoying. Everytime I hit a bump or something I hear this annoying noise. I thought I fixed the squeaking but its back now. And, I put so much damn grease on the bushings, you couldn't get more grease on those bastards.
    I'm not so sure I could live with this squeaking now...

13. Sep 18, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    That seems strange. Have someone push down on your fender and duplicat the squeak, get close to the UCA and see if you can identify its location.

14. Sep 19, 2009 at 2:00 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    You should get your ball-joints checked

15. Sep 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Its common for even the most expensive set ups to squeak, and lubing regularly seems to be the cure for those who do not like the squeaks. :cool:

16. Sep 19, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    TC's are quiet.

17. Sep 21, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    my camburg uniball UCAs have been squeekin like a bitch since i got them on but i have waited to grease them because i knew i needed a special grease... i plan on taking care of it today but i still need some clarification on which grease to use... does anyone know that actual product name or a link to the product so there is no confusion?

i've heard about lithium, dry, spray... etc. and not sure what it is i need

any help?

18. Sep 21, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    You need a dry teflon lube for the Uniballs.

19. Sep 21, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!

thanks... and what about the bushings... does it matter?

20. Sep 21, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I dont think it matters. I use Mobil 1 grease on them.

Products Discussed in

To Top