1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Lug Nuts & Lug Wrenches That Don't Fit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by scaramouche, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    scaramouche

scaramouche [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yesterday me and my twelve year old got a flat 4.7 mles out in the desert, about 5 miles west as the crow flys from Indian Springs NV. We were travelling gravel "forest roads".
    I have a 2007 Tacoma 6 cyl, stick, two wheel drive ext cab.
    Got the spare down, jacked her up a little and found to my dismay the lug wrench did not fit the lugs!

It was an even 100 degrees out, we had about a quart and a half of water and one hat. Two hours later we walked into Indian Springs and I got my boy into a motel room to cool down & I ended up spendng $110.00 for a tow sevice to go back up into the boonies to change the freaking tire.

We usually go further out in the sticks and I can't help thinking someone could really get hurt relying on that oem lug wrench to find you can't change out your tires. I will be talking to my Toyota representative tomorrow.

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Mine fits. Sorry you had the trouble.

3. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Wowzers that's bad! The good thing is you and the boy are OK. I bought a tire iron back when I had my Jeep, and have only used it a handful of times. I prefer it over the lug wrench that comes with any vehicle. That detracts from the point of your post though... it's a good thing you were not as far as you normally go. I'd like to hear how your talk with the Toyota rep goes.

4. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Yeah, grab one of those 4 arm tire irons. They're good to have even just to help out other folks with different size lugs. Plus, they work well as a boomerang when you need it.

5. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system

Exactly what I have... never tried it as a boomerang though.

DIYGUY321 likes this.
  6. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    I had to throw it at someone once. It's what happens when I catch you breaking into my vehicle.

7. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    scaramouche

Member:
    Yeah, on that stroll out of there it occured to me that I sure would like a four way lug wrench and an ice cold glass of water.
    I'll let you guys know what Toyota says/does about this.

Appreciate your comments.

I married my tacoma likes this.
  8. Sep 20, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Man I need to check.
    Usually I swap out for a 1/2 drive ratchet and the needed socket and extensions it requires and I have not done that on this one yet.

Glad you were able to get to help without any big problems. 1 1/2 quarts of water is not much in the heat as we know out in the DEZ.
    Thanks for the post it reminded me to do something i had forgot about.

9. Sep 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I don't understand. The wrench that came with my truck fits both the lugs for the steel wheels (11/32) and the lug nuts for the aluminum wheels (21 mm).

Was your wrench too small? Is it the original Toyota wrench?

10. Sep 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I just went out to test mine. It "fits" but it's looser than I'd like. It'd work but I'm pretty sure it'd round the edges up a bit... I normally have my fold up + jack with me but I took it out to use on my stealth and never put it back... smooth. Got it at walmart for like $15 and takes up a lot less space than the normal cross... worth it imo.

11. Sep 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Wow I am sorry that happened but glad you and your son are ok.
    I use a gorilla wrench that comes several different sized sockets (mm & sae). It extends so I can get some leverage seeing how I'm wimpy :)

Doesn't excuse toyota one bit. Did you buy the truck new? If not, maybe the owner before you swapped out your kit ??

Again, glad you & your son are not a heat casualty. :(

12. Sep 21, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I'm thinking user error?? Or someone swapped out the wrong one.. 2posts and this is it?

13. Sep 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    Sorry to hear about the problem, BUT one should ALWAYS test all tools and emergency items BEFORE you leave your driveway. Be Prepared!
    Know how to use them and make sure they do what you want them to do.
    Also carry more water and supplies than you'll ever need.

Yuma Taco,

PS :my lug wrench works...

14. Sep 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    NuovoTech

NuovoTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    I have a 5-lug base 4x2 Tacoma with 21mm nutz. Upon looking at the OEM(does fit) wrench with the 45 degree handle angle, I decided it might be problematic if nutz are on too tight. So I carry a 1/2 breaker bar with a 6-point 13/16" socket, works just fine... :cool:

15. Sep 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge

And he's gone now? Or came back as another member after telling this horror story.

16. Sep 23, 2009 at 4:00 AM
    scaramouche

Member:
    On Sunday I emailed the service manager at my dealer. On Monday he emailed me with the Toyota Customer Satifaction number in California. Also on Monday I got an email from my service rep at the dealer to come down and get the right lug wrench.
    Yesterday I called Customer Satisfaction and talked to Tina. She was great, took all the particulars down and will be calling me back today after 9 a.m. While she couldn't promise me anything she did say there was a good chance that Toyota would compensate me for the "road side service" and motel.
    In the afternoon (yesterday) I went to the dealer. They took my lug wrench and immediately applied it to the lugs, no, it didn't fit.
    The service rep goes away and comes back a half hour later...he says you got the right lug wrench and the wrong lug nuts and they would be ordering me all new lugs for all the wheels(?). Stunning.

I'm looking forward to sharing this reverse engineering concept with Toyota Customer Satisfaction when she calls me back this morning.

As an aside I'm the Manager of Transportation for the 11 western states for TJ Maxx and Marshall stores. I have some experience with things mechanical. When I purchase a $26,000 vehicle my expectation it comes with the proper functioning equipment.
    As far as outdoor experience; in 1965 I attended a month long Ranger course in the Army and was a instructor in mountain craft at the Plas y Brenin Natl Mtneering Centre in Northern Wales from 1971 to 1974. I didn't didn't get a real job until my early thirties as I wasted my youth climbing in the Alps and the western Canadian Rockies. I even spent two years cowboying in Colorado's North Park country.

17. Sep 23, 2009 at 4:15 AM
    is it windy yet?

is it windy yet? Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston On
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Speedway blue
    extang trifecta tonneau, tinted windows, side step bars, sill plates, bug deflector, TRD exhaust, K&N filter, carbon fiber CD surround, tow kit, it's a Canadian truck so the TSB 4 leaf springs and bilstiens were done at the factory, vent visors, ipod adapter, and weather tech mats.
    As a footnote to this. I went to my local tire shop, which is a good one, to get my flat repaired, he looked at the full size spare, and said those lug nuts are not for use on steel wheels, they are for alloys only. He said you need washer-less acorns, which he gave me 6 of so I'll have them next time I need to use the spare. He said Toyota knows better, and should be including these with the jack kit.

18. Sep 29, 2009 at 1:34 AM
    scaramouche

Member:
    Yesterday my dealer, Centennial Toyota in the northwest section of Las Vegas changed out all the lug nuts on my 2007 Tacoma at no charge. They also cut a check to cover the "road side service" and motel cost I incurred. Quite separately I visited the Parts Dept and asked to buy 6 acorn lug nuts for use with the steel spare wheel and they gave me them at no charge.

19. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    This just made me think...I have aftermarket alloy wheels and a steel spare, so I guess my lugnuts wouldn't work on my spare :confused:...and I just bought a thin walled socket set and lug wrench for my alloy wheels...going to have to check into this now.

Glad the dealer took care of you ;).

Products Discussed in

To Top