Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Receiver hitch for '10 Tacoma reg cab?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
10taco is on a distinguished road
Army: C Co 1/75 Ranger '87-'89
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Question Receiver hitch for '10 Tacoma reg cab?

I want to install a 2" receiver hitch on '10 Tacoma 4CYL reg cab 4WD. I will be pulling a 1500 lb (loaded weight) snowmobile trailer occasionally. I am considering Curt, Hidden, OEM, and Draw-Tite; class III or class IV. I will be installing this hitch myself (second time installing one for me) so I want to get a kit, not go to U-Haul. At this point the Curt #13323 looks pretty good. My last hitch was a Hidden Hitch; it rusted pretty quickly so I may pass on them this time. I would like to hear from other Tacoma owners on their experiences on installation and usage. All replies encouraged and welcome!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
EricS76 is on a distinguished road
EricS76's Tacoma Gallery
I've installed 2, both made by Ridgid Hitch Co. I haven't noticed a problem with either. One has been on for 2 years and the other 11 months. Installation is simple. Remove the bumper and bumper brackets, install the hitch b/t the brackets and frame, install bumper to brackets with supplied spacers b/t bumper and bracket.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Installation of my Valley hitch was a breeze, and I like the design. Hasn't been on long enough to judge corrosion resistance though.

Installation of my Hoppy (Hopkins) trailer adapter was mostly a breeze.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
06dak will become famous soon enough06dak will become famous soon enough
06dak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Installation of my Valley hitch was a breeze, and I like the design. Hasn't been on long enough to judge corrosion resistance though.

Installation of my Hoppy (Hopkins) trailer adapter was mostly a breeze.
I got my valley hitch from Uhaul, it was the cheapest around and had free shipping to my door (plus lifetime warranty). Very happy with it, and it's the only one that installs like the OEM one (does not require removing the bumper, but does require bolting to the bumper). It looks like it will rust eventually, but I haven't seen one not rust anywhere there's salt! Another good site to try is etrailer.com, has instructions for all the major brands.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
jpg366 will become famous soon enough
jpg366's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered a hitch from U-Haul. A couple of days and $120 later, I had a Class-IV Valley drop-shipment, and it fit perfectly. They did not list one for my '09 so I just used the part number for an '08. Very satisfied. Got the wiring kit from Toyota (wanted the relays, not just the jumpers from a tail light). You'll need to measure 150 ft-lbs torque for a couple of the bolts.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Picture request: Curt Receiver Hitch

I am hoping that one of the Tacomaworld users can provide a picture of an installed Curt Trailer Hitch on their Tacoma. I would like to install one on my '10 Tacoma but would like to see how it looks on the truck first. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
Raven65 has a spectacular aura aboutRaven65 has a spectacular aura about

Raven65's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Curt hitch (and a T-One plug & play wiring harness) from eTrailer.com for my '09 reg. cab 2WD and my brother & I installed it. I don't think I'd want to do the install alone. That hitch is heavy - and you have to hold it up against the frame just right on both sides (at the same time) for the bolt holes to align so you can get the bolts started. I can't imagine doing that by yourself - but I guess you could do it with a floor jack or something. Much easier with a helper though. Anyway... I'll try to get a pic for you. The Curt has a MUCH thicker, more durable finish on it than the HiddenHitch I put on my last vehicle. I'm very pleased with it... would definitely buy it again.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
kagrimm is on a distinguished road
kagrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a Curt that I bought at Camping World on the way home from the dealer for my 09 when new. All the holes matched up with the frame and stock bumper without any issues. Probably easier to install with 2 people but definitely doable by yourself with some metric tools. You just remove 6 (or was it 8) bolts that hold the bumper on and slip the hitch between the frame and the bumper mounting brackets. Tighten and/or tourque the bolts and it is good to go.

I couldn't find a T-connector for the wiring in stock anywhere in town so I just bought the generic four point plug at the local Checker (for less than $10) and installed it myself by splicing into the rear tailight wiring. Tailights are simple to remove (I remember 2 bolts and 3 plastic tabs) to get to the wiring. Would buy a Curt again.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Got a Curt hitch and it looks good...

Also got the Curt T-connector for the lights, and a mounting plate for my 4-lead light connector (dealer told me I have to drill into the receiver to mount it). This Curt receiver has a THICK powdercoat finish that looks bulletproof! Haven't removed the wrapping so I will wait on the install comments but JEEZ this thing looks heavy duty! Hope it fits nice & tight up and out of the way cuz I don't want any extra STUFF hanging down in the way!!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

Raven65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10taco View Post
Also got the Curt T-connector for the lights, and a mounting plate for my 4-lead light connector (dealer told me I have to drill into the receiver to mount it).
I just loosely zip-tied my connector to the top of the receiver. Pulls out easy when I need to use it - and just rides on top of the receiver when I don't.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10taco View Post
I am hoping that one of the Tacomaworld users can provide a picture of an installed Curt Trailer Hitch on their Tacoma. I would like to install one on my '10 Tacoma but would like to see how it looks on the truck first. Thanks in advance!
if you give me a few min I can get pics of mine. I think it is a Curt. It is on a 08 reg cab pre runner
Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pics of mine I just took. It was dark out side so some of the pics are only so so.
My bumper did have to come off for this to be put on. Hope this helps with your decision.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Thanks Tex!

Great pics, thanks a bunch. Actually bought a Curt hitch yesterday from a local dealer, as well as a Curt T-Connector wiring setup (4-pole). The finish on these hitches are amazing. Will hopefully get this thing mounted in a week or so.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Curt hitch is on (WHEW!)

And it took A LOT more work than I thought. First, I removed the bumper and I'm glad I did, made the installation much easier. I bolted the hitch to the frame and went to re-install the bumper...BUT THE HITCH HOLES DID NOT LINE UP WITH THE BUMPER BRACKETS!! So, off came the hitch and out came the grinder. Had to remove approx 1/8" from the two holes where the bolts go vertically up into the frame; this allowed the hitch to slide rearward enough for the bumper brackets to line up. Now that it fit it was just a matter of tightening up all the fasteners and lining up the bumper to get it to look right. After installing the T-connector for trailer wiring (easy!) I located and attached the L-shaped 4-pole connector bracket to the frame. The Curt hitch fits up high and out of the way; really don't like the safety chain attachment loops but the finish on this hitch looks very nice and will (hopefully) stand up to more than a few New England winters.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #15

Raven65's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm... the holes in my Curt lined up just fine. It's a TIGHT fit... at first I was afraid they WERE off, but after shifting it around some (with the help of my brother) we got it to line up perfectly. We left the bumper on too... if I remember correctly, you remove all but one of the bolts from the bumper bracket and the hitch just slides in between the frame and the bumper brackets. It would have been significantly more difficult to do alone.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
Ezriderga will become famous soon enough

Navy: USS JONAS INGRAM DD938
Ezriderga's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pics as they were helpful. Installed mine yesterday and took a few pics today. Curt hitch is very well built and easy to put on. Highly recommend. Thanks again for your pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Receiver hitch for '10 Tacoma reg cab?-misc-049.jpg   Receiver hitch for '10 Tacoma reg cab?-misc-048.jpg   Receiver hitch for '10 Tacoma reg cab?-misc-047.jpg   Receiver hitch for '10 Tacoma reg cab?-misc-046.jpg   Receiver hitch for '10 Tacoma reg cab?-misc-043.jpg