1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 tires not 5, temporary spare, PO'ed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mcgiiver, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Dec 17, 2010 at 5:03 AM
    Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Piqua, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRDsport 4x4 DC
    sadly, I've only put Husky Liners in it thus far - tend to blow all my cash on my bikes and guitars.
    I'd buy an extra wheel to match the other 4 and have the spare tire remounted on it so you can rotate 5 ways - problem solved........but I gotta say, the worst thing Toyota EVER gave us with our trucks are the junk ass jacks they expect us to use with a crap lug wrench -- throw that shit out and replace with a good hydraulic and 4-way lug wrench........easier to use on and off road, swap out a flat in half the time!

2. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    Maybe it's just me but wouldn't you run into differential problems by rotating in the spare because your always going to have one tire in the rotation that will have a different tread depth then the rest. Idk but I thought I heard somewhere that having different size tread depths is bad on a 4X4 unless you have a matching tread depth on the opposite side of the truck.

3. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    X1

I never rotate the spare, my 05 Camry has factory alloys including the spare and it has never been part of the rotation.

4. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    x ynot

x ynot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    lucedale, ms
    Vehicle:
    06 xrunner and 99 prerunner
    step side k&n air filter tool box and running boards
    im lost is he trying to use a spair as a tire

5. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    You can say that again.

It's a good story, but I'm not buying it. My factory steelies used an acorn cone nut. If you pull one of the factory alloy nuts - I bet you find the same.

6. Dec 18, 2010 at 2:07 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    The tread depth wouldn't be significant enough to cause a problem, the concern is having a different sized spare since most people change the stock tires with a different size and don't change out the spare.
    My tires are 265/70/17 and my spare is 245/75/16.

7. Dec 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Really- You gotta be kidding me. Its the same size tire who gives a F*ck abourt what wheel they use. The spare is not supposed to be thrown into the rotation of tires anyway. Bottom Line-you're mental

Products Discussed in

To Top