Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Differential Lock? Electric Differential Lock?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
tcboss is on a distinguished road

tcboss's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Differential Lock? Electric Differential Lock?

i dont know exactly how the rear differential works? this is comes standard on a TRD right?
i have been off roading with tacomas that have them and it seems to work really well?
i am just curious to if anyone can explain exactly how they work?
and if you can purchase them aftermarket wise and how much?
i think i read earlier in talk about toyota selling an ELD for (425.00 $) not sure if the are the same thing?
thanks for any help
Old 01-22-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I'll give this a go... On the TRD off road your rear diff is an open diff until you "lock" it in, meaning that both wheels turn at the same time at the same torque, the ultimate in traction. LSD or Limited Slip Differential (TRD Sport Package) engages the other wheel when it determines that there is too much wheel slipage from the primary wheel, it however does not have the same torque. For everyday use LSD works pretty good, but when it gets nasty the locking diff is the one you need.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 AM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Pre-Runner, TRD with locker. But, I didn't know that it was an open differential otherwise.

This is the worst of the worst isn't it? Because unless the locker is engaged, it's the differential that spins the wheel WITHOUT traction, when it's in the rough, otherwise, right?

Well, I guess it's OK for the street so far.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I got the Pre-Runner, TRD with locker. But, I didn't know that it was an open differential otherwise.

This is the worst of the worst isn't it? Because unless the locker is engaged, it's the differential that spins the wheel WITHOUT traction, when it's in the rough, otherwise, right?

Well, I guess it's OK for the street so far.
Open diffs are generally safer, but will have less traction. They will spin the one wheel with less traction taking off on snow or gravel. Thats where an LSD shines, and why I have it. No button to push, but it as concrete jedi exaplained its not a full locker and has limited ability to split the torque. Off road and one wheel in the air, LSD will be stuck, locker won't. Also, at speed in snowy/loose gravel conditions the back end can come around quicker and requires more finese and driver attention (Similar to why your locker has a '5mph speed limit").

Of course you got a locker when your off-roading or need to bust up a snowy driveway (but dont use on roads), so you have a good combo.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I did a writeup in another thread awhile back:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...html#post43794

Basically, get a limited slip if you're into street racing and a true locker for offroad. Limited slip differentials don't do much more than an open differential when you're stuck.

Whether you opt for a selectable locker or an automatic one is a matter of preference. Personally, I'm a fan of the selectable one for its predictability.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
kymoonrunner1 is on a distinguished road
kymoonrunner1's Tacoma Gallery
I have a TRD with diff. lock, never need 4wd.When the chevys and fords are stuck they call me.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Write up

[QUOTE=mjp2;51092]I did a writeup in another thread awhile back:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...html#post43794

QUOTE]

Nice write up MJP2. I think I'll go with the limited slip which should work fine for wet roads and boat ramps, as opposed to an open differential, and provide "some" additional traction for light off roading as long as both wheels maintain contact with the ground. Am I thinking right? I was going to get a Detroit Locker, but from what I've read, you'll get a "lash back" when de-celerating and I also hear they are very noisy. The Detroit true trak lsd supposedly is quiet and goes virtually unoticed when engaging and disengaging, and again, just for "more" traction than an open differential for situations desribed above.

Please correct me if I'm incorrect in my assumption.....
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormhole7 View Post
Nice write up MJP2. I think I'll go with the limited slip which should work fine for wet roads and boat ramps, as opposed to an open differential, and provide "some" additional traction for light off roading as long as both wheels maintain contact with the ground. Am I thinking right? I was going to get a Detroit Locker, but from what I've read, you'll get a "lash back" when de-celerating and I also hear they are very noisy. The Detroit true trak lsd supposedly is quiet and goes virtually unoticed when engaging and disengaging, and again, just for "more" traction than an open differential for situations desribed above.

Please correct me if I'm incorrect in my assumption.....
Sounds like you're on track. The biggest thing is knowing your intended use. The most capable trail rigs on the planet are the last ones you want to cruise the highway in. I think you'll be thrilled with the improved performance with the LSD.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcboss View Post
i dont know exactly how the rear differential works? this is comes standard on a TRD right?
i have been off roading with tacomas that have them and it seems to work really well?
i am just curious to if anyone can explain exactly how they work?
and if you can purchase them aftermarket wise and how much?
i think i read earlier in talk about toyota selling an ELD for (425.00 $) not sure if the are the same thing?
thanks for any help

The toyota locker uses an electric actuator rather than an air powered one like some after market ones like ARB. The ARB one requires a compressor, tank, air lines, etc. The toyota one is a box with wires and a switch that controls it. You can manually engage it with a screwdriver supposedly although I've never tried it. I found a write up on it a while back, but haven't seen it in a while. With an ARB, if you blow an air line, crack the tank, or the compressor dies you can't use the locker.

Other mechanic lockers can use a ratcheting system to let the wheel rotate different speeds if needed (like cornering), but lock them together during normal operations.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
tcboss is on a distinguished road

tcboss's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like i would want a rear differiential lock or a true locker since i would want this for offroading....
does anyone know how much these are running for? does toyota sell the rear differential lock seperate? i am deffintily liking the fact that it has a button to push.
how much are the aftermarket lockers?
thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #12
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcboss View Post
sounds like i would want a rear differiential lock or a true locker since i would want this for offroading....
does anyone know how much these are running for? does toyota sell the rear differential lock seperate? i am deffintily liking the fact that it has a button to push.
how much are the aftermarket lockers?
thanks
Here is a link to an ARB
http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-CBFJ-JDJ.aspx
Old 01-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
You probably should have bought it from the beginning, with the cost and assache, you already behind the 8 ball.