Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Por-15

Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Por-15

Ok well im going to use Por-15 on my back half of the frame soon (taking off the bed) and then the front half of the frame later on. So i dont have to worry about future rust. But i have a few questions first. What kind of prep is needed (if there is no rust on the frame or if its at its minimal)? Sanding,Cleaning or anything? And if anyone has a writeup on this can you give me the link? And im not 100% sure on how to remove the bed (i think its just those six bolts in the bed) so if you know please tell me? Oh, and what should i buy the super starter kit plus a extra quart,or just the quart? Cause i dont think if you buy just the quart that you get the Metal Ready and the Marine Clean? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
According to this, all of the paint must be removed before applying the POR.

http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/n...directions.pdf

Check out #7.
"IF a bead of sweat falls into the can, it is ruined"

That's some pretty sensitive stuff.

After it is applied and dried, it must be top coated as the stuff is UV sensitive.

I would suggest reading all the info HERE.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...t-weekend.html

http://www.eastwood.com/catalog/prod...r/category/26/

Both of these products seem to be less involved and less toxic.

The Eastwood comes in an aersol also.

Just throwing some other options out there for you.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
thank god for california weather...
never had to worry about coating the frame on any of my old vehicles. interested in pics of the process though
sub'd
GL man
Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
I've used POR-15 quite a bit for motorcycle re-builds and it is not as sensitive as they lead you to believe. I think they are just covering their ass. I have applied to directly over slightly roughed paint and it holds up to a wrench dropped on it with no problem. You do have to cover it with a top-coat if it will get sunlight but it's not necessary if it's covered (like your frame). the stuff is great at self-leveling and really looks nice. You will need to clean the surface VERY well, rough it up a bit, then wipe down with denatured alchohol or acetone just to be safe.

Do pay attention to what they say about clean-up. They are not kidding when they say only time will take it off. Wear gloves, crap clothes, and a respirator.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I used POR15 on our Axles for the jeep.

It's much better on rusted areas and/or cast metal. It's not so great on smooth metal or other areas. If you don't prep it right....it'll peel off.
Granted - the axles we had were years & years of grease/grime on them and we power washed 'em, used degreaser, used their marine clean, & the metal ready before we applied it. It still peeled off the smooth metal surfaces.
It stayed pretty good on the badly rusted (not surface rust) and the cast areas (like diffs & such).

For the amount it costs....I think you're better off using something else.