1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6sp Manual, Engine Lugging?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lute, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Sep 25, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    Lute

Lute [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lute
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 V6 TRD DBL Silver 6SP
    Hello All,

I just bought a 2005 V6 DBL 4x4 TRD w/ 6sp Manual. Love the truck! I've read lots of threads on this site about the quirky nature of the 6sp Trans. Frankly, I like it just fine, but yeah, 1st gear takes some getting used to. So, sometimes I can't decide if I'd rather be in 1st or 2nd. Now, this engine is known for its torque and horsepower, so I thought it should be able to motivate the vehicle basically from idle to cruising speed. However, if I try to accelerate, even gently, below 1200 rpms, the engine chatters, presumably because it is lugging. Now, this doesn't strike me as necessarily unusual or problematic, but I was wondering if everyone out there gets the same symptom?. Any takers?

BTW, I just exited a long-term relationship with a 1978 Bronco. I loved (and still have strong feelings for) the truck, but it was just so damn old! It's a crazy feeling having a modern truck with all the creature comforts. I took the Toy wheelin' in the mountains last weekend, was VERY impressed with how well it handled off-road. I was a bit concerned about how 4-Low would be with a stick, but it was a breeze. Thanks for any feedback, this is a cool site!

2. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Welcome. If your around 1200-1300 and need to accelerate, shift up, otherwise thats about the rpm you may hear the clunk. I cruise down around 1500 on gentle downhill grades (following river for example) for best mpg on my commute and dont have a problem. Otherwise keep it between 1500-2000 to get around 20 mpg.

1st vs 2nd. From stop, 1st, rolling 2nd.

4lo and short gears of the 6spd are a good combo. Shift, clutch out, no gas needed.

3. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    i shift all my gears at 2K...no problems here...i get about 21+ mpg...i got the TRD CAI, DTLH, and APR x-1...6speed manual trd off-road...

congrats bro...

usually with chatter your not giving enough gas...maybe ride the clutch more (but that also burns you clutch out quicker)...find the sweet spot in the clutch...you won't have that problem ever again...

4. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I get the clatter to and have the same problem of not being able to decide if I want first or second gear. I just throw it in second and ride the clutch a little more... I really dont like hearing that clatter it makes me think I am destroying my tranny

5. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

I shift into 2nd around 2500 or 3000....seems to work a lot better.

I think what is happeng to you is this:

You shift around 2000 and by the time you get into 2nd gear you're back down at 1000 or less rpm.

I let the rpms ride up to 2500 or 3000 and when I get into second, im down around 2 k...the perfect spot!

I've had mine since may this year and still getting use to it. It seems like it's loosening up too. I have 5500 miles. I've read they really get nice around 25-30K

6. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    Lute

Lute [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lute
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 V6 TRD DBL Silver 6SP
    Not a clunk I'm thinking of. 4x's in general are very clunky in the drivetrain. Talking about a chatter, or rattle, that comes from the engine when rpm's are under about 1200. Kind of like pinging, but not. Again, I assume it is just the engine lugging, wants to be operated above 1200 rpm's, but am looking for corroboration. I kinda thought it would be happy off-idle on up.

7. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I dont really like to shift at 3000 into second cause its just too high for how much gas im giving it. If I step on it then I shift higher. When I say I dont know if I should be using second or first I mean when I come around a turn that I have to slow down for or say I am stuck moving slow in traffic. I dont like to be coasting in neutral and throw it into first and have it rev up to 2500-3000 rpm I would rather drop it in second and ride it a bit. just my opinion.

8. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I know the exact noise your talking about, it sounds like a metal tinging

9. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    kagrimm

kagrimm Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4.0-V6 6sp MT
    I had the same troubled feeling when trying to decide between 1st and 2nd. The accidental solution was to swap the 245s for 265/75/16 tires. The larger tires make the shift points feel much more natural since they require some more torque to get them moving. I wonder if the gear selection wasn't engineered for a different tire than what comes on them from the dealer. Anyone else have this impression...

10. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    not sure I have 265/70/16's

11. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I have the same problem. I feel like I'm killing the engine when I give it gas and let the clutch out. But what I have been doing is just giving it a little gas and letting the clutch out, seems that my truck doesn't require that much gas to get through 1st. Oh and the manual says to shift from 1st to 2nd at 15mph, I'm not sure what that RMP is (4th day driving my 05) but that is what I have been doing and its working so far...

Products Discussed in

To Top