Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Back up fog lights or brighter bulb replacement

Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Fore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura about
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
Question Back up fog lights or brighter bulb replacement

Would like to install cheap but decent small back up clear lights similar to fog lights, has anyone done this before and can it be done with just tapping into the existing reverse lights or 4 prong trailer hook up wire? Would like to do this with no relay or switch to deal with and not having to wire it directly up to the battery? Or are there replacement bulbs brighter that won't melt the plastic lens cover that will work just as good? Please post your pic's if you have them.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
I like 2 do something 2, don't C much with OEM back up lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
Would like to install cheap but decent small back up clear lights similar to fog lights, has anyone done this before and can it be done with just tapping into the existing reverse lights or 4 prong trailer hook up wire? Would like to do this with no relay or switch to deal with and not having to wire it directly up to the battery? Or are there replacement bulbs brighter that won't melt the plastic lens cover that will work just as good? Please post your pic's if you have them.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of people have light mounted back there but to use for normal reverse like in parking lots I would think they would be too bright and against the law? Using them offroad or maybe doing some work at night would be OK and all you need is another switch, real easy set up.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
These may help:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...se-lights.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ts-toggle.html
Old 09-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i had them on my 02. they were tapped into the reverse lights wire. i think i had a toggle switch too.i cant recall right now
Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Pep Boys use to sell a 50W replacement back up bulb, and I never saw them anywhere else. I wonder if they still sell them...
Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Fore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura about
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the Info!

[quote=Reznor88;969035]These may help:

Thanks for your reply I really like this setup. Wonder where I could find these and do they hold up very well over time? Can anyone answer the question whether or not you can just hot wire them to the existing reverse lights without having to use any relay or switch?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=Fore;970820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor88 View Post
These may help:

Thanks for your reply I really like this setup. Wonder where I could find these and do they hold up very well over time? Can anyone answer the question whether or not you can just hot wire them to the existing reverse lights without having to use any relay or switch?
Just like wiring up fog lights on the front, I'd prefer to use a relay because of the amount of power going to the lights. You could then tap power off the reverse light to trigger the relay, & fused power coming from the battery for the lights.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
^ That's probably the cleanest look out there. It's also protected by the hitch vs. placing them under the bumper as a bolt on. That looks out of place. I like the above.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Bully Hitch Light

At least here in the Springs, Pep Boys carries them in stock. It's 70 watts of light. You can wire directly to reverse lights or put it on a switch (included?).