Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.0 DUAL VVT-i ??

Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 DUAL VVT-i ??

So the 2010 Tacoma is a carry over model with engines that now seem like they have primitive technology compared to the rest of Toyota's fleet.

For example pretty much every engine now in Toyota's car & truck engines, with the exception of the Yaris (which still has a 1.5 L with Single VVT-i), has Dual VVT-i and a few other goodies to make them more efficient, powerful, durable (in theory anyways), etc.

For 2010 the new redesigned 4runner, and a few years old FJ cruiser got an upgraded 4.0 with Dual VVT-i that pushes HP to give it about 268 HP and 273 foot pounds of torque. I even saw some inklings of a seperate engine power/tq ratings with supreme gas.

So I'm curious - will the Tacoma at some point get this revised engine and perhaps some of this technology in the 4 cylinder as well? Or is the TAcoma stuck with what is old technology until it gets a redesign somewhere in the next few years possibly?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
The existing 4.0 is competitive in its class. The V6 Dakota, Frontier, Colorado, etc. are not leaping ahead of Tacoma just yet. I think it is premature to call it 'primitive' technology.

I do find it odd that Toyota would produce two separate 4.0 L truck engines. I have to assume maybe they are not produced on the same line? Just from a manufacturing streamlining point of view, I would think it would not be cost-effective to produce both.

Perhaps they think loyal Tacoma owners prefer to have trusted, if older, technology? Perhaps the additional sales they might expect wouldn't outweigh the testing and emissions regulation hoops they'd have to jump through?

Realistically, the Tacoma is "stuck" with great engines that are very competitive (and sometimes superior) among mid-sized truck competitors.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BeachBoy's Tacoma Gallery
the tacoma sells very well, they can still use the older engine and it will sell. I wouldn't be surprised to see the engine updates next year though, after they used he remainder of the parts
Old 09-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
While I'm always for more power... have to admit it's kinda nice the 4runners are getting the test run for issues first
Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
x3
Old 09-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
No V8 option for the 4Runner either, so I doubt anything like that will be put in the Tacoma when it is redesigned. Still, the increased output does bring it on par with Nissan's current Frontier. Even though I just got my truck I might consider a next gen Tacoma since Toyotas hold their resale value better than others...as long as it still comes with a 6-spd.

If I had the time I would photochop the front end of the new 4Runner onto a Tacoma chassis and see what it looked like!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
Uh, the 2010 FJ cruiser and 4Runner specs are for premium fuel...they both call for it.

Dual VVT-i is more about emissions and economy than performance. The current tacoma has more torque than that FJ cruiser with premium gas specs.

Besides, its the same engine with dual vvt-i, and dual vvt-i isn't anything new or special, it's been around since the 90s.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
This is true. I doubt they will make any major changes to the motor and will probably upgrade and make it more versatile over time like Nissan's VQ series engines. I'm still wondering why direct injection hasn't become more common yet.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
Uh, the 2010 FJ cruiser and 4Runner specs are for premium fuel...they both call for it.

Dual VVT-i is more about emissions and economy than performance. The current tacoma has more torque than that FJ cruiser with premium gas specs.

Besides, its the same engine with dual vvt-i, and dual vvt-i isn't anything new or special, it's been around since the 90s.
Actually, The 1GR-FE on 91 octain fuel has 12 lb-ft more torque. The Dual VVT-i engine in the FJ does have more torque than the "regular" 1GR-FE in the tacoma.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the Tacoma is currently competitive in it's class with it's current engine, but what about Toyota striving to make things better? Why offer 2 engines as someone pointed out? Why not offer your customers more efficiency due to the Dual VVT-i combined with more power?

I believe the ratings I pointed out with the new 4.0 Dual VVT-i are with regular gas, but seperate ratings were published with more HP/TQ due to supreme gas. The numbers exactly escape me but that is what I recall. It would be cool if Toyota published 2 ratings - one for regular gas, one for supreme. It would be interesting too, if they published 2 sets of MPG ratings. Perhaps people then could calculate if the supreme gas is worth it.

The technology in the new 4.0 Dual VVT-i is found in the 4.6 & 5.7 liter V8's. In fact if I'm not mistaken, the 4.0 is pretty much a 5.7 with just 2 less cylinders from what I've heard. Same Bore, same stroke if I'm not mistaken. The current 1GR-FE was started in 2003 in the 4th gen 4runner. It's pretty much the oldest design in the Toyota fleet next to the 1.5 in the Yaris.

If they gave Dual VVT-i to the 2.7 in the Tacoma (and now found in the 5th gen 4runner) it also might actually be a little more realistic of an engine choice for more people and this engine gets incredible gas mileage for what it is lugging around.

The new 4.0 Dual VVT-i would pretty much give you much more capable towing power up to the rated 6500 pounds that the Tacoma is rated to handle. The new 4runner is only rated to tow 5000 pounds though, unfortunately. But I'm sure this new engine will allow it to capably tow up to its rated capacity without issue.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
. In fact if I'm not mistaken, the 4.0 is pretty much a 5.7 with just 2 less cylinders from what I've heard. Same Bore, same stroke if I'm not mistaken.
The 5.7 has a bore of 94mm and a stroke of 102mm, while the 4.0 has a bore of 94mm and a stroke of 95mm.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post

is found in the 4.6 liter V8's.
It's 4.7L.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
It's 4.7L.
The new Dual VVT-i engine is 4.6.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The new Dual VVT-i engine is 4.6.
Dual VVT-i? What is going on in these days?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Dual VVT-i? What is going on in these days?
Yepo. Both intake and exhaust variable valve timing.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #17

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yepo. Both intake and exhaust variable valve timing.
310 hp out of the 4.6l. That's insane.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #18

Quote:
310 hp out of the 4.6l. That's insane.
Yep. Whats next? Eliminate the Throttle body all together?? HA!!!

Wait.... Nissan is already working on this, too!!!

Crazy kids!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #19

Marines:
Sonsabitches!!!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Sonsabitches!!!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!!