Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cb radio install

Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Cb radio install

Here's the new radio:

The Cobra 29 WX NW BT radio

The mount I made is a stolen idea from evilmonkey. Its a little more refined. I used 16ga steel I had lying around the shop. Cut a few shapes, threw a few bends on it, welded a couple spots, and painted it up.

Here's the radio mounted in the cab. I looked everywhere for a spot to mount this, but this radio is huge. Anywhere else would have been banging me or the wife in the knees. So this is where it ended up. It will really only be used when driving cross country (every few months) so the position works just fine. A quick glance and you can see all the controls.

I ran the power along the drivers side directly to the battery.

There is already a spot under the drivers seat, near the rear air, that the carpet is sliced. I ran the power cables and coax through here. The coax was run under the truck, and through a a grommet in the floor pan along with a large cluster of wires. Its almost directly below the drivers seat.

Pulled the two power lines through this grommet in the firewall on the drivers side. Connected them to power and ground on the battery.

A few pics of the truck with the antenna. About half the antenna is above the roof, so the reception is pretty good.

Once everything is installed, I used an SWR meter to fine tune everything. This Firestik antenna has a quick tune feature on it which was really handy. After one adjustment I was getting readings of 1.5 across all channels. Reception is good for about 2 -3 miles with this setup.

Thats about it. A few hours total (not counting watching the paint dry on the mount). If you want to mount a CB in the front of the cab I would go with the Cobra 18. Its more compact. This radio has everything. Weather, backlight, Bluetooth. I love it. Not one to shamelessy promote a company, but http://www.rightchannelradios.com/ has everything you need and the customer service is incredible. I highly recommend them for an experienced CB'r or a first timer. They were great. Please check them out.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
looks good, nice and clean install
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
fghtngsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fghtngsquirrel
Looks great!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
No better friend,No worse enemy...
InfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant futureInfidelTaco has a brilliant future
Marines: iKill
Name: G
InfidelTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Very clean. Good job Devil Dog.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man. that is a great radio, it will last you many years to come
Old 09-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
That's the best idea ive seen to mount the antenna.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nice install.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco08 View Post
i love that antenna mount. any problems when closin the tailgate like havin to be extra careful? or was it already pre-existin screws? loving that cb too.

No, no problems. I just used some #8 tek screws. There is plenty of room. The tailgate actually has a little recessed area there. I originally wanted to run the coax through the tailgate area, but there wasn't enough room. Just slam the gate without ever worrying about it.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Man that is an awesome idea for peeps with a cover. I just may have to steal your idea.. or maybe get you to make me a bracket for some $$$ :P
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #12

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Man that is an awesome idea for peeps with a cover. I just may have to steal your idea.. or maybe get you to make me a bracket for some $$$ :P
Its a pretty easy bracket to make. If you dont have the resources to do it yourself, any shop would probably throw one together for you pretty cheep. You can buy a small piece of steel anywhere. Just lay it out and tell them what you need, should be good to go. Let me know if you need help with the layout.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good radio. (and expensive)

I used an older Cobra 29 in my install.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...r-console.html
Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #14

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
That's a good radio. (and expensive)

I used an older Cobra 29 in my install.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...r-console.html
I remember your install while I was doing all my research. I think yours is really clean. I didnt have the balls to cut up my new radio. I think you did an excellent job. The truth is, I just remove mine most of the time, I only use it for cross country trips. If i was running it all the time, your install would be the way to go. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #15
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I love the mounting for the radio and antenna. Looks great man!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #16

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
I love the mounting for the radio and antenna. Looks great man!

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
nice work on the radio and antenna mount, I mounted my cb just llike you did, I still haven't got a firestick or quick disconnect yet, that cb is awesome, that will be my next upgrade from the pawn shop special I have now, i like the weather channels
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #20
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I like your mount. Mine is a little flimsy when on the trail. I may redo it. I'd pay for yours as well.