Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Magnetic Gray/Silver Streak - Scratches/Rock Chips?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
ToyKnife is on a distinguished road
ToyKnife's Tacoma Gallery
Question Magnetic Gray/Silver Streak - Scratches/Rock Chips?

Maybe a crazy inquiry but how do the two colors handle scratches and rock chips? What color shows after a rock chip? Is the primer light or dark in color?

I had a 2003 Silver and used to wash and wax regularly, once every one to two weeks. The paint had rock chips but they would blend into the Silver and they weren’t an eye sore. Is it the same with the new 2005+ Silvers and Gray?

I plan on adding a clear bra over the entire front, lights and rocker panels. Does anyone have experienced problems with doing this? Water trapped under the film and rust occurring? Having the Silver/Gray oxidize/fade and not match up with the paint protected by the film? Etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
The ability to hide scratches was the deciding factor between the two colors for me. SSM does well, while the darkness of Mag Grey shows them.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
ToyKnife is on a distinguished road
ToyKnife's Tacoma Gallery
Bump, Not the most interesting topic but I still need a little insight.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
mag grey, like most any dark color, shows everything!
but it looks so damn good!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
t-com09 is on a distinguished road

t-com09's Tacoma Gallery
i was between the magnetic grey and silver streak myself when purchasing my 2010. and the paint showing scratches and chips was the determining factor as well. i chose the silver streak and love it
Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Certified Smartass
FuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to allFuzzyTaco is a name known to all

Name: `
FuzzyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Silver is awesome. There's a couple rock chips in my hood, but you don't notice them unless you look hard. Along with dirt, dust, etc. The only downside is the 7 other silver tacomas that park in the employee parking lot at work.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
spark4 is on a distinguished road
spark4's Tacoma Gallery
I have the trd sport magnetic grey and i got a little chip off my bumper and the color underneath is a light primer color, so you will notice if you get chips. I know I have crazy chips on the very bottom where the cab and bed meet. I ran my hand under there one time and it felt very rough.. I never did look to see though and that area is not protected by the clear sheet that they put elsewhere. I figured the mud flaps would protect from rock chips but apparently not. I wouldn't let the primer color be the deciding factor though. I orginally wanted either silver or black and they didnt' have either so I settled for the mag. grey and am so happy that it worked out that way, looks clean for a long time!