Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Factory Trailer Hitch & Plug

Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Tacoma TSS
dalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
dalesrn's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Trailer Hitch & Plug

Has anyone had this problem?

I have a utility trailer with newly wired trailer lights. When I plug it into my factory 4 prong plug, only the passenger side works. I tried the same trailer on my neighbors GMC Envoy, and it works just fine. I brought my Tacoma to the dealer to have them check it out. I know the parts manager there, and trust him. He said that the mechanics checked it out and said that everything works fine. He said that Toyotas are wired differently and require a "Negative Ground." What does this mean? Any suggestions?

Also, I have a tailgate light bar that plugs into the 4 prong plug and it works fine.

Dale
Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
I think your dealer is full of shit. They should work the same. Clean all the connections really well and make sure they are plugging in properly. It should work as is if you already verified they work independently. A test lamp will help to identify where the problem may be.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
put some contact grease on the plug to make sure you and making contact
i didnt know tacomas had a factory 4 prong kit mine came with the 7 prong
Old 09-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALESRN View Post
My friend, who is the parts manager, said that he saw for himself that the plug is working.
Which plug? It could be your trailer plug is not making the connection to the truck's plug for whatever reason, most likely dirty. ??? Again, a cheap test lamp should tell you where the problem is.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
Tacoma TSS
dalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
dalesrn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the suggestions. The trailer plug is brand new and the connections are clean. I have checked with a test light, and the hitch plug is getting power. I am at a loss.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
O.F.

bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALESRN View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The trailer plug is brand new and the connections are clean. I have checked with a test light, and the hitch plug is getting power. I am at a loss.
Still working off the Envoy? There isn't a whole lot that can go wrong. It's either a bad ground, pinched wire, blown bulb. ??? Just chase it back with the test lamp until you find the break. Stab the wiring along the way too.

Here's one for you....way back in the day, I jump started another car with my old Camaro. It was late and I had my head lights on. Right after jumping the car, both head lights went out. I spent two days pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was. Turned out that both bulb connections were dirty. Go figure...