1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Trailer Hitch & Plug

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dalesrn, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sep 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    dalesrn

dalesrn [OP] Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    Has anyone had this problem?

I have a utility trailer with newly wired trailer lights. When I plug it into my factory 4 prong plug, only the passenger side works. I tried the same trailer on my neighbors GMC Envoy, and it works just fine. I brought my Tacoma to the dealer to have them check it out. I know the parts manager there, and trust him. He said that the mechanics checked it out and said that everything works fine. He said that Toyotas are wired differently and require a "Negative Ground." What does this mean? Any suggestions?

Also, I have a tailgate light bar that plugs into the 4 prong plug and it works fine.

Dale

2. Sep 30, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I think your dealer is full of shit. They should work the same. Clean all the connections really well and make sure they are plugging in properly. It should work as is if you already verified they work independently. A test lamp will help to identify where the problem may be.

3. Sep 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    dalesrn

dalesrn [OP] Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    My friend, who is the parts manager, said that he saw for himself that the plug is working.

4. Sep 30, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    put some contact grease on the plug to make sure you and making contact
    i didnt know tacomas had a factory 4 prong kit mine came with the 7 prong

5. Sep 30, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Which plug? It could be your trailer plug is not making the connection to the truck's plug for whatever reason, most likely dirty. ??? Again, a cheap test lamp should tell you where the problem is.

6. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    dalesrn

dalesrn [OP] Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the suggestions. The trailer plug is brand new and the connections are clean. I have checked with a test light, and the hitch plug is getting power. I am at a loss.

7. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Still working off the Envoy? There isn't a whole lot that can go wrong. It's either a bad ground, pinched wire, blown bulb. ??? Just chase it back with the test lamp until you find the break. Stab the wiring along the way too.

Here's one for you....way back in the day, I jump started another car with my old Camaro. It was late and I had my head lights on. Right after jumping the car, both head lights went out. I spent two days pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was. Turned out that both bulb connections were dirty. :confused: Go figure...

Products Discussed in

To Top