1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Key

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tenntacoma, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    The chipped key has to be ridiculously close to the ignition tumbler for a non chipped key to start the truck (basically touching the non chipped key). Simply having the chipped key hidden in the interior of the truck will not allow a non chipped key to start it. The chipped key has to be pretty much in physical contact with the ignition tumbler - at least in my '05.

2. Sep 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    Trever

Trever New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Guy
    Nothing too special
    ** Here is how to program your own key for a 2010 Toyota Tacoma (v6) transponder key **(2nd Generation Tacoma)...Programing the fob (remote) is all over the internet and You tube...and easy to find so I'll just cover the key programming. I put this up because the post from someone else really helped me...so having used the wrong instructions initially I eventually got it right.

Provided originally by Seric007...thanks dude.

I did this to my own vehicle and confirm that it works.

You'll need 2 thing to make your own replacement key...three if you want to create another remote as well. The remote you can program by itself.

For the key you will need two things...

a replacement blank key for your Tacoma which you can find on Ebay. Make sure you buy the key with the "Dot" on it...or dot equivalent.
    2nd you will need to buy the Smart key programmer which you can find on Amazon.com or Ca

New Toyota Lexus OBD Smart Key key programmer

upload_2015-9-7_10-26-19.jpg

The programmer is plugged into the OBD of your Tacoma while you complete the series of key turns to program your key.

Step 1: Acquire Key Blank

3_58dc300d16cb2d1023baca62e9ce8df4a35f1f25.jpg

visit amazon or ebay and pick up youself a key blank with a transponder. Amazon has them for 12.50$ shipped to your door. These blanks are not programmable, but rather programmed already and you must program you ECU to accept the new transponder key.

Step 2: Acquire Programmer

1_ef13a2a9306e2a73bdb8e5a5ae27fe0285a18101.jpg

your going to need something program that key into your taco, right? We need to pick up a programmer that can add the new transponder key into the ECU. This will work with the Taco and many other Toyota models.

Visit ebay and search "toyota smart keymaker". you want to purchase "Toyota & LExus OBD2 Smart Key Maker Programmer" I purchased mine from edward-hz2001 and was able to submit an offer to bring the price down to 17.50! It took 10 business days to be delivered to my front door.

Step 3: Cut that key

images_9a5d14567f743f16edb0784f8f92031b4ff02e7e.jpg

The Key should arrive within the week, so get it cut before you get the programmer.

I did find this to be a rather tricky part. if you bring in a key most places they look at you like you are insane. [​IMG] Why on earth would you want them to cut a key blank you provided, after all. :rolleyes:
    After visiting Several Wal-Marts for key-cutting services I gave up on that idea and I ended up at Lowes.

Now, here's the trick....
    You might get lucky and the guy might be nice and cut it, problem is they have no way to charge you for just cutting the key. They charge for the keys themselves. So i find its nice to work in a way to "pay" for the service. Ask them to make you a copy that can just open doors. this cost me 1.98 and while they are at it they probably wont mind cutting the key you bring in :D

do ensure the key will turn ignition before proceeding to next steps.....

Step 4: Programming

:pccoffee:

Programming Step 1: Close all doors except drivers door. Leave open during programming Programming Step 2: Insert Original Key (the one your currently using to get around) and turn to the on position

7_465c504db0ba5e63a2b530c141f4a16dc2e2c25a.jpg Programming Step 3: Insert SmarKeymaker into OBD Port

4_b125b805a628b662ea42bdf533ace0e93167f253.jpg Programming Step 4: wait for first beep. (1-15 seconds) Programming Step 5: Wait for second beep, this will be 3 quick beeps identifying (3rd generation) (1-30 seconds after first beep) Programming Step 6: wait for final long beep. this can take a little bit, so be patient. (30seconds to 1 minute) once we hear the long beep, we can proceed to the programming Programming Step 7: Remove original key and reinsert, DO NOT TURN, wait 5 seconds and remove.
    5_d4a5985740314d0d6464b616b55db082665e823a.jpg

THEN insert the new key, DO NOT TURN, wait 5 seconds and remove.

6_ad555ea2f63b4f447dd17e68b73e948c8a1d9f7a.jpg Programming Step 8: Insert original key and turn to ignition ON Position and Lock position 5 times quickly. Remove Key. Programming Step 9: Close Door (you left it open,right?) then open door. Programming Step 10: Remove SmartKeymaker Programming Step Step 11: Test out and enjoy new key! :woot:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    steelhd likes this.
  3. Sep 12, 2015 at 1:05 PM
    03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy First Gen 4Runner Driver

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Stock Taco

Products Discussed in

To Top