1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ram Air CAI For hood Scoop Hoods?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hippiemike44, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    hippiemike44

hippiemike44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab PreRunner SR5 Sport
    3" Revtek Lift, Fosgate Subs, Amps, & 3Sixty
    So I have a 06 Pre-runner sport and was thinking of making one for mine. If there was a large group of you that was interested, I will make more. As I do the fab and install, I'll take pics. Just wondered if there was any other 2nd gen hood scoop taco owners interested in something like this?

2. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    I dont' think there are many people looking to do this man. But I could be wrong. But more power to you. Hope you do it awesomely and it all works out nice. :D

:thumbsup:

3. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    No sir

4. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

You realize the hood scoop on the TRD sport resides in a low pressure area of the hood, right? If it was made to connect to the air intake, you would loose hp, as it would take more work for the engine to pull air thru, and against a low pressure spot. In stock form, the air is pulled from a high pressure area in the passenger side fender. Away from engine heat.

5. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Rollinn

Rollinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner sport
    Icon 2.5 c/o,TC uca, bhlm mod, nav, etc etc
    dude I have been thinking of why toyota didnt actually cut the hole and make a functional one to begin with.. Hell yes I'm interested..
    Please post pics etc.:popcorn:

6. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    They didnt cut it out as it wouldnt be "Functional". Its too small, low, and in a low pressure area of the hood.

7. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:21 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    I've heard Chris drop this line so many times. Basically, you can't get this idea to work. And if you could, then you might at well divide by 0.

8. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    hippiemike44

hippiemike44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab PreRunner SR5 Sport
    3" Revtek Lift, Fosgate Subs, Amps, & 3Sixty
    Not sure why you think this would be a low pressure point. Truck moving forward with a large hole cut in the hood, versus in front of the right front tire. Hold an empty cup out your window bottom side first, then flip it 180 and see what happens. Guess I'll test wind resistance at the hood scoop, then in front of the tire, before I go farther with this.

9. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    What Chris is trying to tell you is that the way air works and is designed in late model vehicles is to hit the front and jump up almost to the top of the roof line to improve gas mileage and drag. On the other hand when wind hits a wall (front of the truck) it will wrap around and under in a swirling motion, thus forcing air in around the wheel wells and grille.

10. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I'd go with one of these:
    [​IMG]

or one of these:
    ShakerInset_bd6887c9f9e2ce92e5643914a0357fe824b173b0.jpg

I just love seeing those babies displaying all their torque like that!!! :D

11. Sep 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Nobody is trying to step on your toes. There is another thread here where Chris explains why it is a low pressure point. Something with the aerodynamics of the truck, the air flows over the hood scoop and hits some where around the middle of the windshield if I remember correctly. Chris can explain it better though.

If it was more of a high pressure point and could be made into an awesome ram air intake, I'd love to do it. Sounds like a cool idea.

12. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:36 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    I'd like to see a Sport hood mod that utilized the scoop as part of a heat extractor system. I use an extractor hood on my Z06 that decreases lift, and reduces engine bay temps. I absolutely love it and would like to see something along these lines.....There is a vent over the accessory area of the engine bay that allows air coming under the car, hitting the face of the engine (and otherwise causing lift against the underside of the hood) to vent out. This also supposedly increases airflow under the hood and allows for more efficient venting of heated underhood air.

Here's a pic:

Kakaako_Front_07_2_28cc52eb6fe5f5eccd381359b2a5adb08d8e5950.jpg

13. Oct 1, 2009 at 12:56 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    That car is absolutely beautiful!

14. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:14 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    You would need a hood scoop like on suburus to have any shot at making it work

15. Oct 1, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Sticking a cup out a window is your testing method ? Somewhwere on here I have pics, and other info that would help. FWIW, the passenger side fender is made a high pressure area, due to a "Grill", if you will, in front of the tire. As the tire spins, air is assisted into the fender.
    I'll try to find the pics showing high and low presure areas of the truck...

Bingo!

16. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Here is some pics that might help:

[​IMG]

This is a car, but the point conveys. A Trucks aerodynamics are, as we all know, much worse. The reatachment point is near the edge of the windshield.

More info:
    Vents and ducts serve many purposes on cars. They are used to direct air for cooling and ventilation. However, they can also be used to reduce lift and create downforce by relieving unwanted pressure differentials. Pressure differentials can occur anywhere that a fluid flow is allowed to enter an area that is difficult to exit. If this pressure differential contributes to lift, or reduces downforce, it is obviously unwanted.
    One area where a large pressure differential can develop is the engine bay. The pressure differential is created in two ways. Firstly, as the air flows into the engine bay it strikes the engine, accessories, and firewall, stagnating and raising the pressure in the engine bay. The air flowing over the hood is moving quickly and is at a lower pressure, creating a pressure differential. Because the pressure below the hood is higher than above it, lift is created.
    The effect is amplified by the fact that the air entering the engine bay is heated by the radiator and the engine itself. Buoyant forces (the same forces that cause a hot air baloon to rise) are created because the hot air has a lower density than the cool air above the hood. This effectively turns the hood into a hot air baloon, compounding the problem. The problem is again made worse because the engine bay is sealed on the sides and top. This allows the air only one escape path - down. The air is forced to flow down and beneath the car, increasing drag and reducing downforce. Obviously these conditions are detrimental to a car's performance.
    However, simply placing a vent in the hood can help reduce the pressure differential in the engine bay, reducing the effect of these phenomena. This solution can be seen on many race cars including JGTC and DTM cars and also on very high performance road cars like the Ferrari F50, Jaguar XJ220, and Lotus Elise.
    It is important to note that if the vent is placed too far back on the hood, then it may cross into the stagnation zone at the base of the windshield. If the vent is open to this high pressure area, it may actually force air into the engine bay, compounding the problem that it was installed to relieve.
    However, placing the duct in this high pressure area can be used as an advantage. On older muscle cars, "induction cowls" were used to tap into this high pressure area and provide more air to the engine, making more power. For this to be most effective, the cowl should be sealed so that the air is forced into the engine and none is allowed to collect under the hood.

17. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Another pic for ya....

Red is HIGH pressure, and blue is LOW pressure
    [​IMG]

18. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Even on race cars:

[​IMG]

19. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    So....Unless the scoop is made taller, wider, and moved about 1 foot more forward, it wont be "Functional" to be used ass a method of producing more power by bringing more air into the engine. The "Cup-out-of-the-window" Testing simply doesnt work.

20. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Chris the funny thing, we just learned about this (very basically) in intro to thermal fluids on tuesday

Products Discussed in

To Top