1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cracked Windshield.. any advice?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spencer_hong, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Oct 3, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Makes good business sense to pay for a repair rather than total replacement.

I can vouch for SC covering all glass as I had a previous vehicle broken into through the drivers window that was replaced free (they paid me, lol) and I've also had the windshield replaced in a different vehicle.

NJ on the other hand does not have no deductible glass coverage.

2. Oct 19, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    swartzautoman

swartzautoman Built not bought - All D.I.Y.

Member:
    Central MO
    Vehicle:
    07 X-runner
    my local dealer offerers a windshield protection that covers the window for 5 years free replacement if it ever cracks.
    i had it on my Fj.
    for the FJ the plan was like $400 and i replaced the window in less then a year.
    came to $750. so that was a no brainer.
    my question is should i get it on my taco too?
    my ins doesn't cover the windshields and ive got a $500 deductable.
    ill find out how much the plan is.

3. Oct 26, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    swartzautoman

Member:
    Central MO
    Vehicle:
    07 X-runner
    ok so here is the deal

$399 for the window protection (5 years free repair or replacement)
    the windshield is coated with something like rain-X that helps with rain, ice, and makes it stronger

$500 for wheel and tire protection (5 years free repair or replacement)
    covers any set of wheels and tires on the truck (within reason), not just the stock ones.
    also covers curbing

$450 for paint protection (5 years free repair)
    only covers stuff like acid rain, tree sap, clear coat fade or pealing
    they also do something to the paint to protect it and makes it shinier

package deal is $890
    so im going to get it done

i had all this stuff on my FJ and it was more than worth it

i had 1 windshield replaced $750
    2 flat repairs $40 ($20 each)
    1 new tire $180 (was not repairable)

and that was all in just the 1 year i had the truck

4. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Kind of sounds like a scam to me...A windshield should be covered under you insurance with full coverage. Road hazard should cover you tires, factory glass doesn't cost $750 and paint protection can be done with wax/clay bar twice a year so there sounds like some shenanigans going on with the deal...:notsure:

5. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    swartzautoman

Member:
    Central MO
    Vehicle:
    07 X-runner
    i do have full coverage with a $500 deductible, but it doesn't cover my windshield, ive checked.

how would it be a scam if i paid less for the coverage that it was for the repairs.
    the windshield in the FJ was $750 its true, look it up if you don't belive me.
    this list:
    i had 1 windshield replaced $750
    2 flat repairs $40 ($20 each)
    1 new tire $180 (was not repairable)
    was with my FJ. i only paid the same $890 for the same stuff and with in a year it covered $970 worth of repairs

road hazard isn't free, when you go to buy a new set of tires you will pay extra for the protection.

6. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Adjust your coverage on your insurance it will be cheaper or find a new company, and road hazard is like $10-$15 per tire. If you are good at haggling you can get them to throw it in with the tires usually. On the windshield, if you are saying that the FJ cost $750 from a dealer than yes. Never buy it from them go to a glass shop, the most it would have been is $400 and let them get it from Toyota. They get a better discount than you can ever get.

Clay bare and wax only cost about $40 and it will protect your paint better than any spray they can put on.

Like I said, sounds like some shenanigans from the dealer, or "finance manager" AKA another sales guy, to extort some more money out of your pocket. But to each their own man, if it makes you happy than go for it.;)

That's just my .02

7. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    seareef

seareef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Vehicle:
    Bitch Magnet
    X2

8. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    swartzautoman

Member:
    Central MO
    Vehicle:
    07 X-runner
    thanks for you 2 cents, your not wrong in the fact the the dealership is good at wiggling $ out of your pocket, and i understand your reluctant thoughts .

i had all this on my FJ and it more than paid for its self in the "first" year, thats the only reason i was sold on it, that and i passed on all of it when i got my xB because i was thinking just like you, but i was soon wishing i had got the package.

the FJ windshield did come threw a glass shop not the stealership.

im tellin you, the FJ windshield it stupid $ to replace.

my ins. is a great compainy, i only pay $300 every 6 months for full coverage including roadside assistance. ive tried to get it down to a 0 deductible but they will not do it.

im not tring to sell you a package, im only saying what is best for my over all situation

Products Discussed in

To Top