Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Creaking and Squeeking...

Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Creaking and Squeeking...

My Taco just turned over 50K the other day. While backing outta my parking spot at school yesterday (stereo off windows down) I noticed it was creaking and squeezing a lot... But it would only do this in reverse. This morning it did the same thing but it was worse... And it only happens when in reverse and moving. I know its not mud or sand or anything because the truck hasn't been offroad in 10K miles and was recently cleaned (sprayed the leafs with the hose to get any dirt out). Whats up?

My 5 year old Taco kinda sounds like a 15 year old Chevy
Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe after spraying the leafs the water created a little surface rust. I would try lubing the springs with some spray grease or something and see if that takes care of the problem.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Have you changed your trans and differential fluid since you owned it? Is it making the sounds when you turn the wheel in reverse
Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
It makes it regardless of when I turn the wheel, as long as its moving and in reverse. However it does seem more prevalent when the suspension is cycling (curbs, ect.).
Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
collinkp will become famous soon enoughcollinkp will become famous soon enough
collinkp's Tacoma Gallery
Noise

I had a similiar problem. Mine only made the sound in reverse and if going up or down an incline. It turned out that the bed bolts simply needed to be tightened.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
bruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of light
bruce1271's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 05 Prerunner w 90k miles and mine just started queeking the last few days in reverse only. I dont think it is anything loose at all, it sounds like it is coming from the gearbox. I hear it when slowly backing out of the garage or going fast down the road in reverse. I sure hope its not the transmission going out as this would be my first and last toyota if that is the case. Sounds like a common issue online, but no solutions found yet.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
bruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of lightbruce1271 is a glorious beacon of light
Do we have Zerk fittings on the U joints? Someone on another google post said it was his U joints going bad and reverse caused the squeek.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Bump for more ideas.
It doesnt sound like all the dirt is out of the springs. Take it to a car wash, and use a pressure washer, and blast the shit out of them.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
Thanks for the reply. I live in Dallas and havent been off-road in quite a while. The underside is pretty clean. If I pull forward, no squeak, back up..squeak. The faster I go in reverse, the faster the squeak sound as if it matches with the roation of either my drive shaft or wheels. I will get a buddy to listen to exactly where the noise is coming from this weekend.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1271 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I live in Dallas and havent been off-road in quite a while. The underside is pretty clean. If I pull forward, no squeak, back up..squeak. The faster I go in reverse, the faster the squeak sound as if it matches with the roation of either my drive shaft or wheels. I will get a buddy to listen to exactly where the noise is coming from this weekend.
In your case, check for a heat shield or somthing rubbing the drive shaft.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
Jesse05Taco is on a distinguished road
Jesse05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The squeak is coming from wear shims on the leaf packs. They break down pretty fast. I know for sure it is common on the 05 tacos the dealer confirmed this for me. I got new ones and replaced them and it went away for about a year and its back again. Ive decided to live with it, its not worth the time it takes to do the work.