Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CRAP! My new rims will not fit CENTER BORE TOO SMALL!!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Leer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura about
Name: Lee
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
CRAP! My new rims will not fit CENTER BORE TOO SMALL!!

Alright I'm sooo po'd right now. I had no idea the the hub was so fricken huge on out Tacoma's.

So I bought some aftermarket rims that I REALLY like, I go to slap them on and the fricken thing won't fit!! The bore of the rim is WAAY smaller than the bore of the hub.

Please tell me my options as i cannot return these rims.

Can I bore them out myself? If so, and I make the rim bore larger than the hub bore, will it be safe with the studs taking the full brunt from the rims?

If I can't bore them, can I get some wheel adapters?

Please let me know if any of you have come across this situation and have any advice for me! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Why can't you return them ? did you buy them retail or from a private owner ? By chance were they Centerline ? I would just sell them on E-bay or outright.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Leer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura about
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
I bought them brand new from a friend. They are American Racing. I'd MUCH rather get these to fit than selling them!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Because the engineering, and the amount of material needed between lugs, hub, and the amount of torque subjected to the rims, I don't think you can bore them to fit. I would find peace of mind knowing that you sold them to someone who could use them without damage or danger, take the money and purchase a new set that fits.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Because the engineering, and the amount of material needed between lugs, hub, and the amount of torque subjected to the rims, I don't think you can bore them to fit. I would find peace of mind knowing that you sold them to someone who could use them without damage or danger, take the money and purchase a new set that fits.

i agree 100% on this. its too risky trying to bore the rim to fit, as this will weaken the entire center of the wheel. trying to sell them and getting another set seems more logical at this point, not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just looking at the safety factor overall.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the comments and concerns guys! Well maybe buying wheel adapters might be an option then?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i agree 100% on this. its too risky trying to bore the rim to fit, as this will weaken the entire center of the wheel. trying to sell them and getting another set seems more logical at this point, not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just looking at the safety factor overall.
Listen to these two....take the loss and sell them on ebay and get some rims that will fit....Who knows, you might get more for them on ebay than you paid for them..Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
if you bought them from a "friend" shouldn't you be able to give them back? seeing how they don't fit an all.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
I've bored like 4 sets out 0 failures even with very heavy abuse... moto metal makes their hub centers small to the place chevy 4x4 hubs wont fit through.... the lug nuts take the full force anyhow other than newer fords that are hub-centric design the rest use the lugs to center the wheel anyhow...most aftermarket wheels are bigger than the stock centers so they fit more veh's..... I would not suggest doing it yourself just cause of looks and its a time consuming process...take your two front wheels (un-mount the tires) to a machine shop and have the centers enlarged to 3.80" i believe it is and you'll be fine...other way to go is buy 4 chrome center caps like american racing rims take...take them in and have all the wheels enlarged to where the off-the-shelf caps fit front or rear
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #10
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
Thank guys for your opinions and comments. Theres alot of metal there near the center bore. If I take a half in deep bore out to 106 mm, it deosn't look like it will affect the integrity of the rim at all. But I do appreciate the concern!

I can't return the rims because I bought them used from a friend who was selling it for another. The rims were brand new still sealed in the box and I got a great deal. The brand new rims and brand new tires mounted and balanced only came out to $1100 out the door.

So Even if I sell them for around $1500, I'll make some money, but I won't be able to buy replacement rims that I really like. Well I think I'm going to try to bore them out myself. I will keep you guys poseted as to how it turns out!

Again, thank you very much for all fo your help and opinions!!!
Attached Thumbnails
CRAP!  My new rims will not fit CENTER BORE TOO SMALL!!-copy-2-imgp1044.jpg  
Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
5 lug is on a distinguished road
5 lug's Tacoma Gallery
Question Surprized

You'd be surprised how many people I've talked to from Craigslist that are reselling rims because they do not fit because of center bore varying from year to year.

I just carried my 4 ton jack and 4 jack stands when I went looking 4 rims. It saved me a lot of grief in the long run and got a good education.

Aloha, 5 lug
Old 02-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old(ish) thread here. For those seeing this for the first time, Leer came up with a sweet solution and posted his results in another thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...oby-keith.html
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
snektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
snektaco's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Center Bore Too Small...Busted Out The Router!

OK - so bought some different wheels for my '07 taco from a guy with a
chevy 6 lug truck and learned all about the 4 inch hub on the tacomas the
hard way. Went to put them on back at home, had a nice 'OH SH$T' moment, but then found this thread and the redirect to Leer's article about machining the bore out with a router and rabbiting bit. Googling
came back with a ton of other references and videos on doing this too.

Last Friday afternoon I busted my 'big bertha' router and a fresh bit along
with a can of WD-40 (makes a huge difference) and proceeded to make lots of alloy shavings in the hope of ending up with wheels that fit my truck. The short of it was that I took my time and ended up with 4 wheels
with perfect 4 1/8" wide by 1/2" deep bores that fit perfectly and am now sporting a nice set of very polished American Racing 16x8 simulated beadlocks with radiant red beadlock rings that match my 07 taco dbl cab. Looks sweet and very happy with the result. I even had a machinist neighbor stop when he saw me routing a wheel to see what the hell I was doing. After looking at them - he said routing was pretty ballsy...but was
amazed with how well it worked and said there was plenty of meat left on the wheel to handle the load. I am betting he will pass on buying another CNC in favor of buying a nice new Cable Porter router next time!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leer View Post
I bought them brand new from a friend. They are American Racing. I'd MUCH rather get these to fit than selling them!
If he's a friend and a stand up guy (he should fill both catagories) this shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard417 View Post
if you bought them from a "friend" shouldn't you be able to give them back? seeing how they don't fit an all.
You beat me to the punch ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leer View Post
I can't return the rims because I bought them used from a friend who was selling it for another.
Ta - Da ...

By the way ... did they look like these? I love my American Racing old school look.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
trailinTaco is on a distinguished road

trailinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You would be surprised how many people think that chevy and tacoma wheels fit. sure they lug pattern is good but the hub size is different. Theres a lot of wheels on craigslist that say they fit toyota and chevy.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
snektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnektaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
snektaco's Tacoma Gallery
Fun with Routers...Chevy 3" bore increased to 4" Taco bore size

Taking the rims back seems the obvious choice when struck with the 'oh crap...lug pattern is same as Chevy - but not bore' delema. Wasn't really an option for me + plus what I spent buying these from the guy who had them laying around pretty much boiled down to a great deal on my Grabber AT2's with the AR ATX Sim Beadlocks thrown in for free. A little routing, a little rattle can action, and some Mothers wheel polish and SHAZAM...my truck has a whole new look and new (and quieter) tires.
Attached Thumbnails
CRAP!  My new rims will not fit CENTER BORE TOO SMALL!!-0218120958.jpg  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
NECRO THREAD!!!!