Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pre Warrantee run-out inspections?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Pre Warrantee run-out inspections?

I have an 07 and my warrantee is gonna run out in March. Although, at the current time, I've decided not to get an extended warrantee.

So -I'm prepared to dive myself underneath the truck and do some inspecting of certain things before the warrantee is out. OR - I'll even pay the dealer to do some inspections also....I've quickly gone through the 18+ pages of *Defects thread* http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ts-issues.html and jotted down whatever seemed appropriate.

This is where you guys come in...

I'm mainly concerned with things I can check mechanically.

Here's some things I've already jotted down to inspect with possible items to inspect:

Composite bed noises - Inspect mounting hardware
Engine Oil leak @ timing cover - Inspect engine for signs of leaks
Power steering rack leak - Inspect rack for signs of leaks
CV boots leaking - Inspect signs of leaks
LSD failures - do some 8's and inspect LSD functionality
Transmission Mount failures - check tranny mounts (TSB)
Water leaks @ windshield - inspect windshield molding or hole in welding
Motor mount & frame failure - check motor mounts/frame
Inspect belts & pulleys
Driveshaft recall? - check my VIN for it
Inspect sliding glass window molding
Inspect radiator for rust (at bottom paticularly)

There are tons of other complaints of noises, vibrations, rattles, clunks, paint, etc that I'm not worried about or don't have the symptoms oe.

If there's anything that you've experienced (mechanically - so to speak) that you think I should check....or pay the dealer to check prior to my warrantee running out....let me know!!

Any thoughts are helpful!
My truck has been worry free...my radiator cap was replaced due to leaking fluid. I had my transmission fluid checked about 3 weeks ago.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
reg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shedreg boulette is one of the sharper tools in the shed
reg boulette's Tacoma Gallery
In Canada, the CAA has service centers which will do a comprehensive check of your vehicle specifically for end of warranty check or for checking out a used vehicle prior to purchase. Maybe the AAA has similar in your area?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome idea to start this thread Janster, it will be very helpful. I'm nowhere near warranty expiration yet, but it will be helpful as a checklist for when the time comes.

And the idea about the CAA is great too... an independent set of eyes is always nice.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
mike s is on a distinguished road
Navy: subs
Name: Mike
mike s's Tacoma Gallery
I would also check:

1. does engine start ok when hot/cold
2. any abnormal noise from engine
3. Rack and Pinion/Steering Linkage (Condition/Leaks/Boots)
4. Power Steering Pump and Hoses (Leaks/Noise/Operation)
5. Suspension System/Control Arms/Ball Joints/Bushings (Condition)
6. Tie Rods and Idler Arm
7. Sway Bars/Links/Bushings
8. Struts/Shocks (Leakage/Bounce Test)
9. Brake System Lines/Hydraulics/Hoses/Fittings (Condition/Wear/Leaks)
10. Parking Brake (Operation/Adjustment/Condition)
11. Master Cylinder and Booster (Operational/Leaks)
12. Hoses for wear/cracking
13. Wiring for chafing/heat damage
14. Exhaust system for rust/mount failure
15. drive shaft/u-joints
16. Wheel bearings
17. engine/transmission mounts
18. Fuel lines
19. Transmission shifting ok
20. 4WD engages/disengages ok

etc.....
Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
So far under warranty I have have the following done;

-New blower motor. The original always squeeked, sounded like a cricket in the dash
-New CV boots. The clamps let go on the originals and I had grease leaks. They changed the boots rather than just re-clamping?