1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Covers

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by hawaiiantaco, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Jan 6, 2007 at 1:12 PM
    hawaiiantaco

hawaiiantaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Question, has anyone installed a roll up tonneau cover? If so, are the tie downs still usable with those rails installed? If your cover still allows the stock tie downs to work please let me know what brand and style you have purchased?

Big Mahalo (thanks you)

2. Jan 6, 2007 at 1:21 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    i bought the extang rt. by any chance you purchase it?

3. Jan 7, 2007 at 8:38 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I like Access tonneaus. The Access LE will let you use the side rails and tie downs. The Access Lorado will only work with the OEM mini tie-downs.

4. Jan 12, 2007 at 5:53 PM
    PackPike

PackPike Member

Member:
    anyone have links or additional information on these covers?

mahalo to hawaiiantaco for starting this thread. I've wondered the same thing...i also can't wait to get back to the Big Island although it will be w/o my taco...any island of Hawaii is truly paradise!

5. Jan 12, 2007 at 9:14 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
  6. Jan 13, 2007 at 5:25 AM
    PackPike

PackPike Member

Member:
    thanks pb2themax

7. Jan 14, 2007 at 9:06 PM
    Bulldogger

Bulldogger Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Access Loredo cover sits about 1 inch above the factory bed rails. With this roll up cover you can use the factory OEM tie downs. It states it uses four clamps per side vs 3 on the standard access cover. Actually with the new design composite truck beds, the Loredo uses spacers and longer screws to move the factory tie down rails inward no more clamps. The factory tie downs can be used and the tonneau cover sits on black anodized rails. It is a nice set up and costs 398.00 shipped. Other covers that sit lower require mini tie downs. I wanted a cover but also needed the strength of the factory tie downs for cargo, if this is also the case for you, the extang and several other tonneaus won't work.

8. Jan 15, 2007 at 6:37 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Does anyone here have a hard top tonneau cover that folds in sections? My father-in-law has had 3 different tonneau covers on 4 different trucks, and he was the most happy with that style. I have to admit - I really like the idea of a hard shell, easy-to-use, lockable tonneau cover...

Any ideas on where I can find one that is well built, not expensive (>$400), and does not require drilling?

9. Jan 15, 2007 at 4:25 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    If you read that link I posted, you'll see where you can get the Lorado for $325 shipped.

The Lorado requires mini-tie downs. I know because I had a Lorado. But the Access LE can be used with the full size tie downs. The Access LE is just as nice as the Lorado, but it sits a little bit higher. Check that link I posted. There are pictures of both tonneaus side by side.

The Access covers don't require any drilling. All you need is a torx bit to remove the stock bolts, and an Allen bit to install the new longer bolts.

10. Jan 21, 2007 at 3:43 PM
    65Tuxedo

65Tuxedo Member

Member:
    I just installed an Access Literider on my 07 longbed. The tiedowns are not affected. It is easy to roll out or back. I have had one before and liked it. It does not install in :30 mins though. It is almost a two person job, but worth it.

11. Jan 21, 2007 at 5:13 PM
    Axman

Axman Member

Member:
    I just ordered the BAK BakFlip from the Auto Anything website. I had a hardtop fiberglass shell on my Dakota and to be honest - it was a pain in the ass to install or remove (took 2 people - very heavy) and ended up just leaving it in my garage most of the time. This unit from BAK sounds to me like it was well thought out and I was sold with the testimonials. Here is the website if you are interested: http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A2808A0A0.aspx

12. Jan 22, 2007 at 3:25 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for...

Although, I don't think I can come up with $600 anytime soon. I will try to save up and get one after things quiet down at my office.

Thanks again!:)

13. Jan 22, 2007 at 10:09 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Dang it - that is a deal! I wish that was what I was looking for.:rolleyes:

14. Jan 22, 2007 at 10:26 AM
    ImInLoveWithMyTruck

ImInLoveWithMyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am currently waiting for my Access LE to arrive! Anyone order this cover before? Pros and Cons?

15. Jan 22, 2007 at 6:09 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I owned an Access Lorado, and I've installed an Access LE on a buddys truck. It's a real nice tonneau. The nicest I have ever seen in person. The only advice I can give is to take your time installing the new longer bolts that go in the side rails. Maybe put some grease or wax on the bolts to help them thread in properly.

16. Mar 13, 2007 at 11:10 AM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I noticed in your cardomain site that you have a shell on your truck in some of the pictures, I believe I read it was a snugtop. How do you like it?

I was going to get tonneau cover, but now we are looking at getting grey hounds and they won't fit in the cab of the truck nor under a tonneau cover, so we're thinking of getting a shell.
    My wife has never been fond of shells, but we realize that a shell would fit our needs better then a tonneau cover. She likes the way the ARE Z series looks in pictures. We were quoted $1595 from one local shop...

Anybody have any suggestions about shells? i.e. prefered brands or styles and why...

Thanks for the info!

17. Mar 13, 2007 at 2:08 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    My brother had a snugtop and never really had any problems with it (someone broke into it once though :( ). Snugtop and Leer are the top two shell brands, from what I know.

18. Mar 13, 2007 at 3:10 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    Again, a matter of preference here. I have owned several caps or shells as you refer to them as. Glasstite, Leer, and A.R.E. were the companies i dealt with. Leer gave me problems and didnt stand behind their warranty, so i stay away from them now. Glasstite and A.R.E. stood behind their products 100% Snugtop doesnt have any dealers on the east to the best of my knowledge but from what i have read, they make a very good shell.

19. Mar 13, 2007 at 3:23 PM
    confuzzed2

confuzzed2 Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Anyone have any dealings with the Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover?

20. Mar 13, 2007 at 8:51 PM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My wife and I were looking at it... If we don't go with a cap/shell the trifecta is our next one I would research.

Products Discussed in

To Top