Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005-2010 Toyota recall

Old 10-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
2005-2010 Toyota recall

There was an article in the San Jose Mercury News yesterday that highlighted a recall of Toyotas with floor mats that cause the skinny(accelerator) pedal to get stuck in the open position. Here is the link to an online article for everyone to read. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33077383/
This is in lieu of an accident when a 2007 camary driven by a 70yo man got stuck accelerating at over 100mph and crashed into two other cars.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Several threads already about this.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
It seems like the incidents that incited the recall were related to the Camry/ES350. I can tell you my mats are clear of the accelerator pedal.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
TacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoBelle's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have the details on this accident...but my question is this...if that was to happen to me wouldn't I have been able to avoid the accident by shutting off the ignition? How about shifting to Neutral?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
TreyMR2 has a spectacular aura aboutTreyMR2 has a spectacular aura about
TreyMR2's Tacoma Gallery
Its not offically a recall yet, yet that is. I was at one of my tech training classes in houston last week and the instructor informed us all of everything to do with this. Idk what kinda imformation is on here but this is what they told us. It was a lexus loaner car that a guy and his family where driving while there lexus was being worked on. The accelerator pedal got stuck and they called 911 and eventually ended up hitting another car then going on to going over 100mph, going off the road, flipping, and busrting into flames killing everyone inside. Since the car was destroyed there was no way to tell exactly what caused it. But as of right now they gave us a presedure for if any customers come in about this what to do. Right now they're telling us to remove any all weather mats from the drivers side. They poke 2 small holes in the driver floor mat and zip tie it to the seat frame.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyMR2 View Post
They poke 2 small holes in the driver floor mat and zip tie it to the seat frame.
That is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post

Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
sorry for beating the dead horse, i guess thats what i get for not searching, but i could say that about all the (which exaust is better threads) huh
Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I went to the dealership on Saturday and they gave me two free floor mat hooks because I lost my old ones
Old 10-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
TreyMR2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol I 110% agree with you and STRONGLY suggest not doing it cause I think it looks horrible. I mean if your worried about your clips not holding just take the sec out of your day to check where your damn floor mats are before you drive. I'm completely shocked this is even being made out to be a problem from the vehicle and not the users. But I did 4 floor mats like that today at the dealership I work at and the customers requested to do it. So I assume some people don't think its that stupid. I can try and get a pic of it done if I do any more tomorrow which I'm sure I will seeing how many people wanted it done today.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously, I thought they only did that kind of thing here in SC, fix everything with zip ties, duct tape, and super glue.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
TreyMR2's Tacoma Gallery
Lol this is the first fix from toyota that I've heard of using them but yes I'm dead serious. They handed us a 5 page write up about the issue and the how to handle customers asking about it. Thats option is called "semi permanently securing the floor mats". Thats word for word outta the packet we got. And whats even weirder is they olny allow techs to perform it. Lol so I gotta stop whatever I'm doing to go zip tie some guys floor mats to the seat.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I guess it's hard to say how you or other people will react in this situation, but as mentioned, shut off the ignition or shift into neutral. I guess maybe you don't think straight in a panic situation, but still, this obviously didn't JUST happen in a split second if they had enough time to call 911.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #18
Banned
dan.usa is on a distinguished road
Army: Para Ranger
dan.usa's Tacoma Gallery
this is a trememdous problem
i almost killed myself in transit to my regiment reunion
Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
TreyMR2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
I guess it's hard to say how you or other people will react in this situation, but as mentioned, shut off the ignition or shift into neutral. I guess maybe you don't think straight in a panic situation, but still, this obviously didn't JUST happen in a split second if they had enough time to call 911.
Thats exactly what I thought. I mean I could see if it happened they wrecked like seconds later but with enough time to call 911 you'd think someone would've at least looked at the floor mat or done the putting it in neutral and kill it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.usa View Post
See yours might have been a real case of that but the one that got all this started just seems strange to me.

Quote:
That's it, I'm never going to a dealership again.
They tell you what the presedure is before they do it. So the people getting that done know 100% what we're going to be doing. Its not a permanent fix either they're just trying to come up with something while they make a real fix.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.usa View Post
bullshits.