1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB Leaf Spring Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kidthatsirish, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jan 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    kidthatsirish

kidthatsirish [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab base 2.7L 4x4 5speed manual
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.
    Ok, so this is my first post on the boards as I am new. I searched around a bit and couldnt find an answer to my question so here goes.

I just bought a used 06 Tacoma (2.7L, 4x4, acess cab). I know about the TSB for the 07 tacomas with the leaft spring/suspension issue.

My 06 has an extremley squeaky affect from the rear end whenever driving over bumps or anything at all (even with the bed empty).

1)Does this sound like a leaf spring problem?

2)Does the TSB cover the 06 models?

The truck has less than 40,000 miles on it.

2. Jan 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Not sure about the squeak but you should be covered (05-07 Access & Double Cab 4x4 and Prerunners). TcBob posted a link to the bulletin in this thread. The TSB is for the truck bottoming out. If yours is a non-TRD truck, they're going to replace the shocks and add a leaf to the rear. Tell your dealer it's bottoming out under load (300-400 lbs). Count the leafs. If you have 4 on each side in the rear, it's already been done.

Edit: the TSB is limited to 36,000 miles or less.

3. Jan 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    The TSB is not to fix squeaks. The TSB is due to the rear end bottoming out when loaded. The TSB does cover 05-08 tacomas. It adds another leaf and upgrades the shocks.

4. Jan 29, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    The TSB is not to fix squeaks, but it probably would fix them if you are lucky. Although you are 4000 miles over, you should try and talk them into fixing it. Complain that if you load it up with 800 pounds the truck rides on the stops and maybe they'll replace your springs and shocks.

5. Jan 29, 2008 at 3:24 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i think there was another tsb out there to grease the springs a certain way to get rid of the squeak. and if u have the extended warranty, u should be covered to 100k miles i think

6. Jan 29, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    kidthatsirish

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.
    Hmm, thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the help. I do have a warrenty on the vehicle that is good till 75000 on the odo. Ill probably have to argue and hassle my way to getting the dealer to do it...I counted the leafs and there are only 3 so It hasnt had the work done to it before.

7. Mar 27, 2017 at 10:32 PM
    kidthatsirish

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So.....nearly a decade latter, and Toyota upgraded me to the 4 leaf design free of charge. Persistence...paid off.

8. Mar 28, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Yes your truck is covered if you have a 3 leaf pack,I have the same truck as you except for the engine and Toyota wanted too do new 4 leaf packs,the only reason I said no is because I already in stalled OME 5 leaf packs.

Products Discussed in

To Top