1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Halo Projector Headlights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Major91, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Oct 7, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    Major91

Major91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    Now i have seen alot of these packages on EBAY and online in general but i want to see/hear from the the late model Taco owners that have installed and have used them for some time to give the general pro's and con's of these units. I have read about fogging issues or some that are not as bright as the OEM stock lights. If anyone can comment i would surely be happy to read as i am looking to upgrade mine on my 09 Offroad but i don't want to install junk and pay $200 plus just to install and the take out just to go back to stock. Really like the look of the Halo's though.

:D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I'm sure some will disagree, but IMO all those ebay projectors are junk. I've seen them for plenty of other cars where the light output really sucks, the halo's go out all the time, etc. Even if they weren't junk I wouldn't buy them myself, just not a fan of halo's in general. Doing the BHLM looks alot better to me. Good luck if you decide to get them.

3. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    Major91

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    The BLHM look good also IMO........Not to thrilled about taking my stock lights out and modifiy'in.

I'll have to search some more on the "how to's " BLHM..........this a hard procedure? Wiring and all? :confused:

4. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    could always do the Black HL mod and then add 'real' halo projectors out of a bimmer. I have seen some memebrs here that did very nice retrofits.

5. Oct 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DON'T DO IT! I have em and the suck ass! The 3 LED lights just push into the housing so when your off roading or muddin they fall out and mud gets into the headlight itself! Worst 200 bucks I've ever spent! Plus there a bitch to install!!!! Just do the BHLM or buy some OME headights that are black on the inside already :cool:

6. Oct 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    i have the same headlights as you and im very happy, i tapped the led's to the housing so they dont fall out, swapped out the 55w drives for 85w drives. Super awsome, plus its a real as gangstas call it "bitch getter"

i got mine for like 140 off ebay. but to each his own, jsut make sure the sellers got good feedback on product.

l_9faa5a3d4d914366b27b71878825994d.jpg

7. Oct 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    No wiring for the BHLM you're just taking them apart and painting and then sealing the lenses back on. I haven't done myself. The smoked headlights that came on my sport are good enough for me. They do have aftermarket headlights on ebay that aren't projector ones that are just regular halogen reflector lights just already painted black. Only way I'd ever have projectors in a vehicle that didn't come with them would be to do an actual complete retrofit with HID projectors. That's a lot of work so I'll never be doing that myself. I'm happy with my lights as is.

8. Oct 7, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I love mine. I a little fogging in humid weather but I'm gonna seal that up with some silicon.

Sorry I didn't get both sides.

DSC_0004-7_f55238bca4cda9efca44f18e8e14a89a1e0d97bf.jpg

9. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    flyingface

flyingface Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Soon....
    Two VERY different opinions. This should be interesting.
    :popcorn:

10. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Jomama

Jomama Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dbl Cab/LB 4x4 SR5
    I had the John Deer HIR bulbs in my Land Cruiser and wanted a similar upgrade for the Taco. At the suggestion of a guy on mud who's done most the lighting FAQ's I went with these..

I got the 80/85's

Picture doesn't do it justice, but the difference in light output should be evident.. Really nice bright, uniform light pattern with a noticable cutoff line across the top. Pic of new bulb on left, oem bulb on right... I noticed the OEM bulbs where Osram too...

IMGP0905.jpg

11. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    85w bulbs on stock wiring harness? haha. Not anything I'd ever try. Then again I've also seen plenty of people get the strange idea it's okay to run HID's without a relay harness.

12. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    Major91

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    So these units that are bought on EBAY or where ever there not just plug and play after if you need to upgrade the bulb?

I would be concerned since i'm in Mass about moisture/fogging issue i think. I do like the look of them though!! :popcorn:

13. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I think I just got a set of a bad bunch. Other people have gotten them and had no problems with fogging. You can reseal the headlight with a little silicon which should solve the fogging issue. My lights are completely plug and play. Pictured above.

14. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Take a look at the brand spyder they a little more expensive but seem to be a good set of lights. I have a set of halos on my truck mainly got them for the projectors. Mine are sonars which are the same design as the spyders but are a lot cheaper and have had no problem with them. For the sonars I would chaec out carparts4u.com they have very good deals on them. Hope this helps you out any.:)

15. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    Major91

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Nice looking Taco's for sure!!! How difficult is it in swapping out the headlights? The more and more i see these i want them!!!

16. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Dont know about the 2nd gen but on my 2000 prerunner it took about Id say about an hour but that is for the first time. once I got familiar with it took about 20-30 min. I had to take off the grill, that took the most time just because i was terrified at first I would brake every clip. Only broke one though because it was cracked allready. But just take your time be carefull and it should be no problem.:)

17. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    eddieEndo

eddieEndo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    Scion FRS

AGREEED, i've gone thruough 3 of them now due to fogging, or burnt bulbs, or just crappy craftsmanship, they may look cool but dont give in to them!!!! if you check on x-runnerunderground there is actually a group buy going on for projector retrofits, i strongly endorse projector retrofits and believe it is the best way to go, he is sellign the full projector units +ballasts and everything for around 3xx$ i believe im signed up for the group buy go do it!

18. Oct 8, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    Jomama

Jomama Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dbl Cab/LB 4x4 SR5

I had a aftermarket harness on my Cruiser for the HIR bulbs, and I may still add one to the Taco, but personally I trust the recommendation I got that the oem harness is sufficient. I've also ran the lights and checked the wires and they are not hot nor is there any indication there is too much load.

19. Oct 8, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    I just think it's cheap insurance to use a harness anytime you're increasing the wattage. One person could have no problems where the next person could. I could never recommend to someone to do that myself on something that which could be hit or miss. Only time you can really expect the harness to be sufficient for increased wattage is on cars that for example have HID's optional. For example a WRX and WRX STI. STI comes standard with HID's while the WRX does not however they all get the same upgraded harness so you could add HID's to the WRX and not need a relay harness. But, not my truck so I'm not worried about it.:p

20. Oct 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    Jomama

Jomama Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dbl Cab/LB 4x4 SR5
    Agreed, they are cheap insurance. Are there quality ones available that are just plug'n'go? Slee offroad put the one together I had for the Cruiser but he only deals in 80/100 series cruisers

Products Discussed in

To Top