Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Halo Projector Headlights

Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Major91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Major91's Tacoma Gallery
Halo Projector Headlights

Now i have seen alot of these packages on EBAY and online in general but i want to see/hear from the the late model Taco owners that have installed and have used them for some time to give the general pro's and con's of these units. I have read about fogging issues or some that are not as bright as the OEM stock lights. If anyone can comment i would surely be happy to read as i am looking to upgrade mine on my 09 Offroad but i don't want to install junk and pay $200 plus just to install and the take out just to go back to stock. Really like the look of the Halo's though.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure some will disagree, but IMO all those ebay projectors are junk. I've seen them for plenty of other cars where the light output really sucks, the halo's go out all the time, etc. Even if they weren't junk I wouldn't buy them myself, just not a fan of halo's in general. Doing the BHLM looks alot better to me. Good luck if you decide to get them.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Major91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Major91's Tacoma Gallery
The BLHM look good also IMO........Not to thrilled about taking my stock lights out and modifiy'in.

I'll have to search some more on the "how to's " BLHM..........this a hard procedure? Wiring and all?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
could always do the Black HL mod and then add 'real' halo projectors out of a bimmer. I have seen some memebrs here that did very nice retrofits.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major91 View Post
Now i have seen alot of these packages on EBAY and online in general but i want to see/hear from the the late model Taco owners that have installed and have used them for some time to give the general pro's and con's of these units. I have read about fogging issues or some that are not as bright as the OEM stock lights. If anyone can comment i would surely be happy to read as i am looking to upgrade mine on my 09 Offroad but i don't want to install junk and pay $200 plus just to install and the take out just to go back to stock. Really like the look of the Halo's though.

DON'T DO IT! I have em and the suck ass! The 3 LED lights just push into the housing so when your off roading or muddin they fall out and mud gets into the headlight itself! Worst 200 bucks I've ever spent! Plus there a bitch to install!!!! Just do the BHLM or buy some OME headights that are black on the inside already
Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
DON'T DO IT! I have em and the suck ass! The 3 LED lights just push into the housing so when your off roading or muddin they fall out and mud gets into the headlight itself! Worst 200 bucks I've ever spent! Plus there a bitch to install!!!! Just do the BHLM or buy some OME headights that are black on the inside already
i have the same headlights as you and im very happy, i tapped the led's to the housing so they dont fall out, swapped out the 55w drives for 85w drives. Super awsome, plus its a real as gangstas call it "bitch getter"

i got mine for like 140 off ebay. but to each his own, jsut make sure the sellers got good feedback on product.
Attached Thumbnails
Halo Projector Headlights-l_9faa5a3d4d914366b27b71878825994d.jpg  
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major91 View Post
The BLHM look good also IMO........Not to thrilled about taking my stock lights out and modifiy'in.

I'll have to search some more on the "how to's " BLHM..........this a hard procedure? Wiring and all?
No wiring for the BHLM you're just taking them apart and painting and then sealing the lenses back on. I haven't done myself. The smoked headlights that came on my sport are good enough for me. They do have aftermarket headlights on ebay that aren't projector ones that are just regular halogen reflector lights just already painted black. Only way I'd ever have projectors in a vehicle that didn't come with them would be to do an actual complete retrofit with HID projectors. That's a lot of work so I'll never be doing that myself. I'm happy with my lights as is.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine. I a little fogging in humid weather but I'm gonna seal that up with some silicon.

Sorry I didn't get both sides.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
flyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to all

Name: Zach
flyingface's Tacoma Gallery
Two VERY different opinions. This should be interesting.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Jomama is on a distinguished road
Jomama's Tacoma Gallery
I had the John Deer HIR bulbs in my Land Cruiser and wanted a similar upgrade for the Taco. At the suggestion of a guy on mud who's done most the lighting FAQ's I went with these..

Quote:
Osram Hyper bulbs in 65/70w or 80/85w, both should work fine with your wiring system and the 80/85w will basically double your stock bulb output.
http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=246
I got the 80/85's

Picture doesn't do it justice, but the difference in light output should be evident.. Really nice bright, uniform light pattern with a noticable cutoff line across the top. Pic of new bulb on left, oem bulb on right... I noticed the OEM bulbs where Osram too...
Attached Thumbnails
Halo Projector Headlights-imgp0905.jpg  
Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers

85w bulbs on stock wiring harness? haha. Not anything I'd ever try. Then again I've also seen plenty of people get the strange idea it's okay to run HID's without a relay harness.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #12

Major91's Tacoma Gallery
So these units that are bought on EBAY or where ever there not just plug and play after if you need to upgrade the bulb?

I would be concerned since i'm in Mass about moisture/fogging issue i think. I do like the look of them though!!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #13
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I think I just got a set of a bad bunch. Other people have gotten them and had no problems with fogging. You can reseal the headlight with a little silicon which should solve the fogging issue. My lights are completely plug and play. Pictured above.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at the brand spyder they a little more expensive but seem to be a good set of lights. I have a set of halos on my truck mainly got them for the projectors. Mine are sonars which are the same design as the spyders but are a lot cheaper and have had no problem with them. For the sonars I would chaec out carparts4u.com they have very good deals on them. Hope this helps you out any.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #15

Major91's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking Taco's for sure!!! How difficult is it in swapping out the headlights? The more and more i see these i want them!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Dont know about the 2nd gen but on my 2000 prerunner it took about Id say about an hour but that is for the first time. once I got familiar with it took about 20-30 min. I had to take off the grill, that took the most time just because i was terrified at first I would brake every clip. Only broke one though because it was cracked allready. But just take your time be carefull and it should be no problem.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
eddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant future
Name: Eddie
eddieEndo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eddieEndo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
I'm sure some will disagree, but IMO all those ebay projectors are junk. I've seen them for plenty of other cars where the light output really sucks, the halo's go out all the time, etc. Even if they weren't junk I wouldn't buy them myself, just not a fan of halo's in general. Doing the BHLM looks alot better to me. Good luck if you decide to get them.

AGREEED, i've gone thruough 3 of them now due to fogging, or burnt bulbs, or just crappy craftsmanship, they may look cool but dont give in to them!!!! if you check on x-runnerunderground there is actually a group buy going on for projector retrofits, i strongly endorse projector retrofits and believe it is the best way to go, he is sellign the full projector units +ballasts and everything for around 3xx$ i believe im signed up for the group buy go do it!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #18
Jomama's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
85w bulbs on stock wiring harness? haha. Not anything I'd ever try. Then again I've also seen plenty of people get the strange idea it's okay to run HID's without a relay harness.

I had a aftermarket harness on my Cruiser for the HIR bulbs, and I may still add one to the Taco, but personally I trust the recommendation I got that the oem harness is sufficient. I've also ran the lights and checked the wires and they are not hot nor is there any indication there is too much load.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #19
Kenny Fuckin Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
I had a aftermarket harness on my Cruiser for the HIR bulbs, and I may still add one to the Taco, but personally I trust the recommendation I got that the oem harness is sufficient. I've also ran the lights and checked the wires and they are not hot nor is there any indication there is too much load.
I just think it's cheap insurance to use a harness anytime you're increasing the wattage. One person could have no problems where the next person could. I could never recommend to someone to do that myself on something that which could be hit or miss. Only time you can really expect the harness to be sufficient for increased wattage is on cars that for example have HID's optional. For example a WRX and WRX STI. STI comes standard with HID's while the WRX does not however they all get the same upgraded harness so you could add HID's to the WRX and not need a relay harness. But, not my truck so I'm not worried about it.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
Jomama's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just think it's cheap insurance to use a harness anytime you're increasing the wattage. One person could have no problems where the next person could. I could never recommend to someone to do that myself on something that which could be hit or miss. Only time you can really expect the harness to be sufficient for increased wattage is on cars that for example have HID's optional. For example a WRX and WRX STI. STI comes standard with HID's while the WRX does not however they all get the same upgraded harness so you could add HID's to the WRX and not need a relay harness. But, not my truck so I'm not worried about it.
Agreed, they are cheap insurance. Are there quality ones available that are just plug'n'go? Slee offroad put the one together I had for the Cruiser but he only deals in 80/100 series cruisers