Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Suspension TSB.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Suspension TSB.

Ok I bought my truck new in November of 06. A couple of weeks after I bought it i noticed the rear suspension bottom out on a bump in the road. Didnt think really anything of it. Then i put my trailer with my quad on it and the truck was sitting on the frame. This was the same trailer and set up that i pulled with my 4Runner and it didn't squat at all. I just recently found all the post about the dealer replacing the rear 3 leaf with a 4 leaf set up at no cost. My truck has 57k and is outside of the 36k warranty. I called the dealer today and have an appointment for monday. Has anyone on here had there rear suspension replaced with over 36k? What are the side effects of having the rear suspension replaced? Rough ride? I really like the ride but between towing the quads and the boat with the suspension sitting on the frame I was thinking about air bags so what does everyone who has had it done think?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
bryce75 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryce
bryce75's Tacoma Gallery
I had my rear replaced around 25,000. They also added better shocks at no cost. It could feel a differents. The ride is just a little rough but on the highway or with a boat in tow. It works great.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
decrowe is on a distinguished road
Name: dcinwyo
decrowe's Tacoma Gallery
i had the same issue, i added air bags. allows you to add if you are towing or hauling heavy loads. i never bottom out now.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
Ok I bought my truck new in November of 06. A couple of weeks after I bought it i noticed the rear suspension bottom out on a bump in the road. Didnt think really anything of it. Then i put my trailer with my quad on it and the truck was sitting on the frame. This was the same trailer and set up that i pulled with my 4Runner and it didn't squat at all. I just recently found all the post about the dealer replacing the rear 3 leaf with a 4 leaf set up at no cost. My truck has 57k and is outside of the 36k warranty. I called the dealer today and have an appointment for monday. Has anyone on here had there rear suspension replaced with over 36k? What are the side effects of having the rear suspension replaced? Rough ride? I really like the ride but between towing the quads and the boat with the suspension sitting on the frame I was thinking about air bags so what does everyone who has had it done think?

They will do this TSB after 3 years or 36,000 miles ??? Did you get your info. on the record before 36,000 miles ??

IMO ... you are very lucky and I would jump on this ASAP.

I had this TSB done last week and I love it.

SOS

Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

They will do this TSB after 3 years or 36,000 miles ??? Did you get your info. on the record before 36,000 miles ??

IMO ... you are very lucky and I would jump on this ASAP.

I had this TSB done last week and I love it.

SOS

No i just thought that the suspension was weak in the back so I have been living with it untill I saw the threads about it on here... Hopefully they will fix it for free.. My appointment is on Monday...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by decrowe View Post
i had the same issue, i added air bags. allows you to add if you are towing or hauling heavy loads. i never bottom out now.
What brand of Air Bags did you get? Were they expensive?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
decrowe's Tacoma Gallery
they are firestone air bags, I think they run about $250, they have a 5000 lb weight limit, more than the truck is rated for. i have been happy with them. I put the air valves in the cubby holes.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
What brand of Air Bags did you get? Were they expensive?

Before you get airbags check out this link : http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=258979
Old 10-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #9

Well I just took my truck to the dealership and basically they told me it was going to cost about 2k to fix bc it wasn't unter warranty. The manager will contact Toyota and see what they will do. I called the 1800 # and they issued me a case number and will look into it and call me within 3 day... I am not holding my breath... I doubt they will do it..
Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
decrowe's Tacoma Gallery
that aint good! You can do the timbrens or airbags. It's too bad toyota did not do it right the first time.....sorry weak ass suspension! before the airbags, i had mine bottom out with nothing in bed. the airbags will give you more flexibilty, but they probable cost more than the timbrens.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #11

I love my truck but I really hate Toyota's service right now. They will not honor the rear TSB on my truck because from what they say its not a recall or warranty problem. I guess I will just have to get a lift!!!!