1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running Boards BackOrdered - Need New direction - Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rmd0311, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Well., I ordered the OEM running boards because they look nice and its exactly what I wanted. I called my local dealer and had them order me a pair price matching trdparts4u.com. 10 days later still no running boards and they won't be able to get them until the end of the month. So what to do....

They are offering me the stainless steel tube steps for the same price but I don't want stainless steel. I bought the Sport partly for the no chrome aspect. So here are the options I have, please do chime in.

You got the Westin Sure Grip but in black:
    [​IMG]

The E-Series Nerf Bar in black as well...
    [​IMG]

I will take suggestions as well... Except the NFab and Predator I don't like either.

2. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:31 AM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    wait for factory steps. i think they look better. i want to buy a pair also

3. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    rmd0311

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Another option:
    [​IMG]

4. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    64Wildcat

64Wildcat Black Jeep of the family

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    I've got Railway running boards I ordered from Runningboardwarehouse and i love them they are like a tube step and a running board.
    Do a search for "tubes steps toyota or after market" and there are some pictures on page 4 of them on my truck.
    I'd add the link but I'm not sure how.

Denis

5. Oct 8, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Just wait.

Keep yourself busy, it is a short month. (October)

6. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    rmd0311

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Waiting is something I do not know how to do... I have been going nuts these 10 days.

How does this look? Those are the ones the dealer wants to give me for the same price. They said stainless, but that is not stainless.

[​IMG]

7. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    Ebay usually has the OEM Toyota black running boards for double cabs but today I can only find one's for access cabs.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I have the OEM running boards on my '09 Access Cab and don't like them. I'm in Centreville, VA. I'm not sure of the shipping logistics but I'm sure we could work something out. I would definitely be interested in trading for OEM tube steps. My running boards are pretty much new. I've got 1500mi on the truck now.

9. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    smallcandle

smallcandle The clown has no penis...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Deck plate mod, Maglite console mount, Husky Liners front and back, Black powder coated OEM rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's 265/75/16, Grillcraft MX black insert, Hella 500FF mounted behind grill
    If you really like the running boards then you need to wait. You'll regret not getting exactly what you want if you settle for something else now. Patience is a virtue and will reward you.

10. Oct 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Did you try calling another dealer - just for shits & giggles?

Don't tell them anything - just ask them

"Do you have any OEM running boards in stock?"
    and/or
    "How long will it take to get them?"

See what they say. Either they'll give you the same answer - "We can't get them till....bla bla bla" OR you'll be pleasantly surprised and hear..."Yeah, we've got them in stock"

Then - call your other dealer back and question WHY they can't get them and the other dealer can. Gotta be pushy and sometimes the consumer has gotta do their own investigating.

Good LUck!

11. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    rmd0311

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    First thing I did was that Janster... Unfortunately they are both saying they are scarce nationwide.

smallcandle - the only reason I was going running boards was because they were OEM and cheaper. They are giving me the silvers for the same price. I'm looking through pics to be sure I like them. The westin's I had on my last truck rusted in the first year... Just sh1t I tell u... So OEM is preferable. This is mainly so my kids and wife can get in the truck with more ease.

12. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I have these same ones but chrome that I am wanting to sell. I'm trying to get enough money from them to buy a decent pair of sliders...PM if interested. Oh and they are on an 05 double cab...

13. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char

I have these on my 09 MGM. They are decent. I think the aftermarket ones look aftermarket.

Honestly, i put mine on for chip and door ding protection. Those things drove me nuts on my past trucks. Hated that sandblasted look and the door dings in the past...

14. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    hillbillynwv

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    How come you don't like them? I've been wanting these just for the purpose of not getting door dinged by assholes. I like how these hug the cab and don't hang down like aftermarket running boards.

15. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    smallcandle

smallcandle The clown has no penis...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Deck plate mod, Maglite console mount, Husky Liners front and back, Black powder coated OEM rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's 265/75/16, Grillcraft MX black insert, Hella 500FF mounted behind grill
    True, they'll help stop door dings from cars but trucks will still reach your doors if the occupant isn't paying attention.

16. Oct 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    IMO, the running boards make it look like an old man's truck. I always see the older F150 flaresides running around with the gaudy running boards and it reminds me of them so I prefer the tube steps or slider look.

I'm curious - how would the running boards prevent door dings? Unless your truck is lifted wouldn't they sit too low to stop a door?

17. Oct 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    hillbillynwv

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    The running boards stick out further than the cab, therefore something coming up against your truck would hit the running boards before the cab.
    I prefer the slider look also but people want a arm and a leg for them.

18. Oct 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    True...they are expensive but there's a thread in the group buy forums for them. $285 for bare bones sliders. I think it was a tad under $400 to have them be bolt-on instead of weld-on and powdercoated.

Now you've got me thinking. If I can sell the running boards I might jump on the GB. It would be sweet if he could fab them so they are a little wider to protect the door like you mentioned.

19. Oct 8, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    rmd0311

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    I just called the dealer and took the OEM Silver ones for the same price... $289. can't be beat. Since most dealers want like $420 for them... The one closest to me does, at least... So 289 is a bargain. Done/Done and Done.

20. Oct 8, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....

I wonder why they're scarce? You'd think - if they're popular, they'd have plenty on-hand. Oh well....

Sounds like you got a good deal - just not what you really wanted.

Products Discussed in

To Top