1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limited Slip Rear

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 007Tacoma, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jan 8, 2007 at 4:18 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma [OP] I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    The only thing that I wanted on my truck that I was not able to get was a limited slip rear-end. I looked at all of the dealerships in the Houston area, but none of them had an 07 with a limited slip rear-end. I was told that it was something that was going to be available later in the year. Supposedly, Toyota wants to change the way the Electronic Stability Control works on the Tacomas. The ESC and Limited Slip are "usually" bundled together in this area.
    :(
    Okay - End Rant. Question:

Is it possible to put a Limited Slip Rear on my 07 2.7L 5spd PreRunnner?

2. Jan 9, 2007 at 7:31 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    BUMP - I am trying to keep this one at the top of the lists. I really want a limited slip rear end. I don't want to get a full-locker because I like my MPG to be high and my tires to last...

3. Jan 9, 2007 at 9:24 AM
    marathon

marathon Member

Member:
    Ok i've only had my tacoma for a few weeks but I also have an outfitted jeep wrangler but this may not be universal. There are several aftermarket suppliers that make spools, lockers, and limited slips. You simply have to find one that fits your rear axle setup. If you don't like the road manors of a full spool or locker (like a detroit) then you might really enjoy the selectible type. Some good brands are OX and ARB. I don't know what the rear end on a tacoma is and if they make a unit that fits it though.

I also don't understand why you couldn't get it with your tacoma. My TRD sport came with one.

4. Jan 9, 2007 at 9:34 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well, I am really trying to put in the "Toyota Stock" Limited Slip differential. I don't really need it, but I like the extra security of not getting stuck in the mud on the side of the road. Anyone that has driven an old RWD through Mississippi dirt roads knows exactly what I am talking about.

If I cannot find a good way to do the "stock" rear then I am going with ARB. I had an ARB selectable on my old 84' Suburban 4x4. It worked like none other.

The one that enjoyed the most, though, was my 74' International Scout II. It had a limited slip rear that came stock on it's Dana rearend. I think I actually had to use 4wd only twice in a long winter in Nederland, Colorado. That's pretty impressive if you ask me.

That is why I am trying to get a limited slip rear for my Tacoma. I am not going to pay for the MPG of a 4wd or a solid lock rear if I don't need it (I am in TX now, not CO).

Thanks for the advice though. I agree with you. A selectable rear would be a great alternative.

5. Jan 9, 2007 at 9:36 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    There were just none to be had in the entire Houston area. Keep in mind, I wanted a specific truck: PreRunner AccessCab 2.7L w/ 5spd MT and the SR5 package. The LSRD was going to be a plus.

6. Jan 9, 2007 at 1:01 PM
    Chili G

Chili G New Member

Member:
    I have an 07 Tacoma 4.0 V6 what should i expect for gas mileage? Does anyone have any feed back or info. on this?

7. Jan 9, 2007 at 1:10 PM
    marathon

marathon Member

Member:
    Ah gotcha. When I got my truck I really wanted the limited slip too so I know exactly what you mean. I actually had them find a truck they told me had the SR5 with a towing package and limited slip. However when it arived there was no limited slip. Thats when I decided on the TRD Sport. Before I had turning down the first truck though I asked if they could just outfit it with a factory limited slip and they told me no. That didn't make a whole lot of sense to me but thats what they said. I believe there may be other factors besides mechanical but they acted like the way toyota made the rear end didn't allow it for easy swap (thats without replacing too many parts maybe?). Anyways I wouldn't take this as a dead no. Hope that helps.

8. Jan 9, 2007 at 2:12 PM
    Charro

Charro Member

Member:
    When I found my used 05 Tacoma 2wd Prerunner, it came without LS. I told the delaer that LS was one option I wanted. He told me if I found an aftermarket LS he would pay for it.

Found that Eaton/Detroit makes a version called a Truetac. Is a heavy duty worrm gear LS, no clutches to burn or wearout, Part #91A451. Had local 4x4 install it last week , works great , good road manners, no noise, and just about as strong as a locker when you need it.

And the most amazing thing is that I picked up a check from the dealer last friday.

Andy

9. Jan 9, 2007 at 3:50 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    What kind of mileage difference are you having?

10. Jan 9, 2007 at 7:08 PM
    Charro

Charro Member

Member:
    Same mileage as stock, so far.

11. Jan 9, 2007 at 7:45 PM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    the detroit trutrac is by far one of the best lsd's made for tacomas. its even better than the trd clutch pack style lsd.

12. Jan 9, 2007 at 8:10 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    :)

A few more recommendations like that, and I will definitely be putting one of these on my truck.

I am going to take a wild guess and suppose that you have one. Did you install this yourself? How hard is this to do? How much am I looking at spending parts (and labor if I paid some one else to do it :cool:)? How much would this improve my traction?

:D

Is this a pretty typical case of MPG with these LSDs? I would love to see no change in my fuel economy.

13. Jan 10, 2007 at 12:18 AM
    Charro

Charro Member

Member:
    Mark, its labor intesive. You will need to pull the rear axles, drive shaft, open the pumkin, remove carrier, install Truetrac, and reset back lash. Not for faint of heart or rookie wrench.

I had a local 4x4 shop install mine, or any shop the works on differantials can do it. Expect labor to be between $250-$350. Well worth it.

You will love this system. Do a web search on Detriot Lockers/Truetac for mor info.

Andy

14. Jan 10, 2007 at 5:11 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Thanks much!

While I don't have that kind of money right now, I will try to get that before next winter comes! I plan on making a number of trips to see my family in North Carolina. I will need the LSD then (and a good set of snow tires).

Thanks for all the help. It looks like the Truetrac is going to be the way to go.
    :D

15. Jan 10, 2007 at 7:40 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Charro,

Do you guys have the monsoon floods like the four corners area? I used to live in Farmington, NM. One of the reasons I am looking at an LSD rear is because of those mud slicks caused when the wash overflows onto the road. My wife's family still live there and we are back and forth all the time. Her Rav4 Sport 4wd handles them with no problem, but we may be using my truck to go out during the monsoon season this year.

Just curious.

Cheers!

16. Jan 10, 2007 at 9:08 AM
    Charro

Charro Member

Member:
    I live about 20 north of El Paso TX line. Last summer we had record monsoon season. Some areas has 12in of rain in 1 hour. Major flooding mud, over flowwing arroyos. Your truck with Truetrac will handle it fine.

Forgot to mention mt total price was $451+$271 labor. About what the factory option would have been. But with Truetrac you ge a much stronger unit.

17. Jan 10, 2007 at 9:54 AM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been getting 18.5 MPG. (Doublecab Long bed)

18. Jan 15, 2007 at 6:09 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Nice truck :cool:

18.5MPG on a V6 Double Cab Long Bed Automatic is really good. It seems that this won't effect my mileage too much. I am going to look into some local shops and see who gets recommended.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!:D

Thanks for all the great information so far!

19. Sep 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    DylansBase

DylansBase Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Murfreesboro TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB Taco TRD Off-road
    Bilstein 5100 w/OME 886 All pro expo leafs w/icon 2.0 Relentless Fab plate bumper BFG KO2
    I have a LSD on my 05 DCSB PreRunner. I've been looking for a thread on the subject. I would like to know the actual pros and cons of it as well as it's overall function. Not the most intelligent guy when it comes to that stuff.

20. Nov 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    07terry

07terry Active Member

Member:
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 trd
    can you straight wire a diff lock i need to see if will work had it out and i hear a click in the dash but cno movement in the actuator when its apart i cant turn the worm gear any reason it wont turn except real strong magnets

Products Discussed in

To Top