Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

extang trifecta review and pictures please!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
skichiiwa is on a distinguished road
skichiiwa's Tacoma Gallery
extang trifecta review and pictures please!!!

Ive searched for more info on this tonneau cover but have not found alot. i was hoping trifecta owners could give me a hand and give a review good and bad.

some things to focus on:

waterproofness
price; what you paid or where to buy
pictures
installation ease
pros and cons
lockability( with or without pop and lock) is it posssible?
why you chose this tonneau over others when the price is so hard to beat?
what other folding tonneaus are out there?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
JTDTacoma is on a distinguished road
JTDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine. I can post pics later. Very waterproof, never a drop inside. Not very good for security. I can put my hand/arm inside when latched. That's the only con I can think of. Got mine from truckaddons. They were cheapest at the time. I like the higher profile of the trifecta- makes the truck look Like it sits higher. Simple installation, brackets attach to the rail system.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
you can put your arm inside from where the sides and the back? can you lock it with pop and lock?

is there a wind / noise issue when at high speeds?

thakns again
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Just the back. It looks secure and fits tight but I can lift it enough to sneak a hand in. The latches are spring loaded which keeps it snug. If someone wants in bad enough I'd say any soft tonneau isn't secure (knife, etc..). Pop-n-lock wouldn't help. No wind noise.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine. I love the look. Very easy install. Very easy to take off when needed. No wind noise. Waterproof, Works great with my pop & lock. I paid $497 CDN total at Action Truck accessories and would not want another cover. Quite pleased with it

Old 10-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine as well paid $305 & free ship from Mechanics Warehouse in March 2007. Those guys rocked, ordered it online on a Sunday night & Fedex delivered it on a Tuesday.

I have used it a lot, it installs super easy, comes off easy, stays dry, works well in super cold temps, snow & rain. I do have it with a popnlock & its as good as its going to get for a soft cover. Hopeful that thieves move along to easier pickins. Mine doesn't lift up off the back though very easily....

As you can see in the pic, along the edges it does lie 100% flat though it doesn't effect keeping out rain, snow etc. Its more the vinyl from the folding & how it attaches to the internal frame. This wasn't a big deal for me, but if you want a tight looking fit, this one isn't as tight as say an Access Rollup. I have had that brand too, but wanted a cover that comes completely off when I took it off. This is why I went with a trifold.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Maybe it's adjustable and can be tightened. I'll have to look at it.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Trifecta Signature Series

Old 10-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichiiwa View Post
Ive searched for more info on this tonneau cover but have not found alot. i was hoping trifecta owners could give me a hand and give a review good and bad.

some things to focus on:

waterproofness
price; what you paid or where to buy
pictures
installation ease
pros and cons
lockability( with or without pop and lock) is it posssible?
why you chose this tonneau over others when the price is so hard to beat?
what other folding tonneaus are out there?

I have little to no Water Issue
I dont remember how much I paid but I got it from AutoAnything.com
Installation was easy as hell..

PICS

Had to re attach this thing

Add Brackets

Lay out cover and Tighten

Finished Product

Next day .. after stretching out

and finally adding the bad ass puppy Mod

Old 10-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
what is the difference between the signature and the normal trifecta? other then fabric. Is one better then the other ?

also why is the trifecta's sides look like they are all weak, flapping or maybe not flat( ironed). It doesnt look to clean. does the signature series have this issue too?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about the signature vs normal series.

The sides aren't weak at all. No flapping what so ever on mine. What your seeing is the area where the cover folds. My flattened out over time and it's not half as noticable.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #12
grammy is on a distinguished road
grammy's Tacoma Gallery
Capita, where did you get your license plate cover?? CB??
Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
Signature is a canvas. Reminds me of my carhardt coat. My sides flattened out too.

Oh and as far as installation, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8xlov3jewM

Didn't notice any mpg difference, so it's not "paying for itself" like they said. But it is easy to install.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #14

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy View Post
Capita, where did you get your license plate cover?? CB??
Got it at Walmart last year in Corner Brook. It was really cheap. Under $5 if I remember correctly
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Any pics with the it folded back?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
yhiki is on a distinguished road
Army: sp5
yhiki's Tacoma Gallery
You can tighten the spring handles so you can not get your hand under the cover. I also put lock nuts on the front tie downs so you can not remove them by hand.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
Ausgebombt is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
Ausgebombt's Tacoma Gallery
Folded up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
Any pics with the it folded back?
Here's some of it folded up:

Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #18
DCG is on a distinguished road
DCG's Tacoma Gallery
Jammed up and jelly tight!

Thanks for everyone's input on this thread. Based on the comments, I purchased the 6' Trifecta Signature series. Two weeks later I drove from DC to Cleveland. It poured on the PA turnpike. No leaks! All of our gear was bone dry. I'm sure some water was forced in since I was going 60-70 mph, but if there was any, it was negligible. I'm very happy with the purchase. Through the mountains and then driving around the city I got ~23.4 mpg (stock ATs, 35 lbs). On the way back traffic prevented me from using the cruise control so I got 22.8 mpgs. My wife uses the truck more and has noticed increased gas mileage because of the cover. I love the look too. I decided to not use the extra brackets. They would probably make lining it up easier, but I like the idea of being able to totally remove it if I have to. My buddy was pushing the Bak Flip, which is a nice unit, but several posts and reviews mentioned leakage. The price, leakage and lack of ease of removal kept me away. The whole reason for the cover? The new puppy rides behind the seats.
Attached Thumbnails
extang trifecta review and pictures  please!!!-img_0809-1-.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #19
Life Member
PaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaPaSpeed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Glenn
PaPaSpeed's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet looking puppy! I have the Trifecta also, I'm lovin' it so far. As far as security, not so much, but I'd rather the bad guy just open it up rather that cutting it.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
DCG is on a distinguished road
DCG's Tacoma Gallery
I thought about a Pop N Lock, but I figure that it is just a deterrent and would be easy to break or circumvent by sliding your hand under the cover. Living in DC, I was mainly worried about the cover getting stolen. The rule here is don't leave ANYTHING in your car or truck. I once had a topper lock busted open for a 1/2 quart of oil! Unless I'm traveling, I don't leave anything in the bed or cab. I figure that if I'm at a truckstop... I'll just keep an eye on the truck. The PNL would come in handy for when venturing away from a campsite for a hike or something.