Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09+ rear headrest removal

Old 10-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
03blk27 is on a distinguished road
03blk27's Tacoma Gallery
09+ rear headrest removal

When I was looking for info on removing my rear headrests to get my windows tinted i was left feeling it could have been a little more complete. So I took some pictures to help people out in the future. But you should read this thread first.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=264071

In this picture you see the plastic piece that sits below the head rest is removed. This part pops right off with very little force and no fear of breaking it.

Here you can see circled in red the green clips he speaks of and where they snap in. He says to get a screw driver behind them and pry out. I did the first one this way, and realized you could just pull on the panel. The area you dont want to pull on which he refers to as the "cloth covered plastic" piece is pointed to with the orange arrow, listen to him dont pull on it use the plastic around the piece and everything will pop out.

Another shot of the clips he speaks of.

Heres a shot of the bolts he speaks of removing, this should give you an idea of what your trying to reach if you dont want to pull the whole panel down.

Now if you want to completely remove the panel there are two plastic plates that go right here on the drivers side where the red arrow points. You can remove them from behind by pushing on them.

You'd also have to remove the drivers side rear seat bottom. The bolts are under the carpet but easy to get too.

What it looked like when it was done.
Now when you pull the panel off at first most of the clips will stay in the sheet metal and not in the panel. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and a flat head screw driver to remove them. Get behind the clip, in between it and the sheet metal and the clip and pry out with the screw driver and then grab it with the needle nose and pull. They suck but they'll come out, i didn't break any. Slide them back into the slots on the panel and then pop it back into place. I'm not responsible for you lacking any kind of mechanical ability, finesse or just being like a bull in a china shop while trying to remove delicate pieces of plastic. Hope this helps if these have been bothing you or you need to remove the rear panel.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
BlackRig has a spectacular aura aboutBlackRig has a spectacular aura about

Name: Craig
BlackRig's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, thanks for the write-up. I'll be doing this tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
J hate that stupid console in the middle!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
sweet, with the car seat in the back, the top of the seat hits the head rest, if i remove it i could gain probably around 2 inches of clearance, i will be doing this as soon as i get a chance
Old 10-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i did this a few months ago along with taking out the pointless center console, very glad i did it.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
i have that nasty looking sub right there in between the seats. But i am definitely taking those head rests out.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
cwrose is just really nicecwrose is just really nicecwrose is just really nicecwrose is just really nicecwrose is just really nice
cwrose's Tacoma Gallery
It's such a shame that Toyota made the changes they did. I understand that they needed to meet certain head restraint specifications, but the back seat of the 09+ access cabs are nowhere near practical.

I loved the rear seats on my 2006. Never had them out unless I had a passenger that needed them. I loved the flat rear deck. Great place for anything, especially a dog.

With a Tacoma redesign not too many model years away, I'd be shocked if Toyota addressed the functionality of the AC rear seats before then.

... what a shame.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
RWS_350MAG is a jewel in the roughRWS_350MAG is a jewel in the roughRWS_350MAG is a jewel in the roughRWS_350MAG is a jewel in the rough

Name: Don
RWS_350MAG's Tacoma Gallery
Tagged, for future reference.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
FLJB will become famous soon enoughFLJB will become famous soon enough

Name: Juan
FLJB's Tacoma Gallery
Just Completed this mod. Very easy. i did break on of the clips though, i think they were smashed in badly on assembly...

Rep for you for great writeup!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Steve_P is a glorious beacon of lightSteve_P is a glorious beacon of lightSteve_P is a glorious beacon of lightSteve_P is a glorious beacon of lightSteve_P is a glorious beacon of light
Steve_P's Tacoma Gallery
I removed my rear seats, console, seat belts, and the headrests. If you get creative you can remove the headrests without removing the trim panel- you can pry it forward enough to get wrench access. Some might find it easier to just remove the panel but I had no troubles cheating.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
Did this easy mod this afternoon. Back looks SOOOO much cleaner. Once you get the first blue tab out, the rest come out with some force. A lot easier if you have a second set of hands.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
I looked the first day (last week) to see if the headrests would slip out.

This was a great find .... about 1/2 hour .... nice clean look.

To ensure that I knew where the clips were from the finished side I placed painter's tape on the opposite side of clips in order to know where to push.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for sharing this. I deleted my rear headrests in my Access Cab today and like it so much better. This definitely helped me know what to look out for and it went fairly smooth.

Very Good Post.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
I need to add something to this.
When you pull to remove the rear panel, the top tabs definitely come out with the panel.
All the rest were stuck in the metal framing.
I broke half of them lightly pulling on the panel to remove it. Other posts have indicated that this process is easy and you won't break many. The upside is that even partially broken, by design they will still work to hold the panel onto the panels so not all is lost.

When people deconstruct the access cab, I would take the opportunity to wire in a subwoofer if you ever plan on it. Very easy job with the rear panel off.
My 2 cents...
Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Welcome to the abusement park.
bschmitt09 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
bschmitt09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebottomline View Post
I need to add something to this.
When you pull to remove the rear panel, the top tabs definitely come out with the panel.
All the rest were stuck in the metal framing.
I broke half of them lightly pulling on the panel to remove it. Other posts have indicated that this process is easy and you won't break many. The upside is that even partially broken, by design they will still work to hold the panel onto the panels so not all is lost.
^^This.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
mikesfarm is on a distinguished road
mikesfarm's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for taking the time to document this. I did my 2011 a minute ago.
I just pulled it down far enough to get to the bolts and kept a eye out to not
drop my socket.
Mike

PS I will not let people sit back there.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
J hate that stupid console in the middle!
you will find things to put in there, a .45 fits perfect in there for example.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
Landscape Photographer
harleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura about

Name: Harley
harleyg's Tacoma Gallery
Did this mod yesterday. It was easy and went very well. Since I never have a rear passenger other than my Labrador, I pulled the seats out too.

Thanks for the info. This thread made it quite easy and smooth!!

Harley
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
MarAgt will become famous soon enoughMarAgt will become famous soon enough
Marines: Master Sergeant (Ret)
MarAgt's Tacoma Gallery
I know it's an onld one; but, Great Instruction, Thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
JirafaBo is on a distinguished road

Name: Bo
JirafaBo's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to say thanks. Got the seat bottoms out rather easily, and had to come inside and look for a way to get the headrests off. Was hoping to not have to rip that whole panel off but now I see it's a must. Thanks for posting.