Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Old Technology

Old 10-12-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
GTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura about

Army: Base Defense Systems
Name: SOHAIL
GTVAPSAMTIK's Tacoma Gallery
Post Old Technology

I just purchased myself 2010 V6 Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD and Ive been driving it for past 7 days now. This morning I just noticed that Rear brakes are Drum braks and I was really surprized that Toyota still use old Drum brakes. While my friend have old Frontier and even those have 4 Disc Brakes. Why Toyota went with drum brakes instead of Disc. I would expect a new truck to have disc's.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
KodiakVA is on a distinguished road
KodiakVA's Tacoma Gallery
I thought about that too.

For what it's worth, the gas door doesn't lock either. Trying to stay old school.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #3
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
my guess is because it works

a lot of new cars still roll with rear drums.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
It's not all that "old"-Even tho it's not the high end 4 wheel discs it's perfectly acceptable for safely and efficiently stopping the truck. It's also cheaper while being perfectly safe...so they can spend the money elsewhere in production.

Considering most of the stopping power comes from the front end disc brakes anyways...It's not really all that big a deal imho.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
There's a lot of things about these trucks that aren't updated technology.

But guess what? Drum brakes work and there's not a damn thing wrong with them.

If these trucks had all the updated things that all the other cars/trucks have - they'd cost $10,000 more.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Rear disks are a bitch to get off because of the emergency brake. Drums work fine.
Rear Disks are just a selling point.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Consider they have 4 piston calipers at each front corner.....I bet you couldnt find 4 Non sports cars that had that....Let alone any other trucks.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
Slowpokeologist
AZFizik has a spectacular aura aboutAZFizik has a spectacular aura aboutAZFizik has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
AZFizik's Tacoma Gallery
I remember when I got my taco how impressed I was with the stopping power. Having rear disc isn't all its cracked up to be for a truck. Sports cars, yeah, fine. But when was the last time you had brake fade in the rear of your truck.

Even when towing and the extra tounge weight on the rear, the drums still only provide something like 15-20% of the total braking force.

And don't the X-Runners have rear disc?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Consider they have 4 piston calipers at each front corner.....I bet you couldnt find 4 Non sports cars that had that....Let alone any other trucks.
yep. Suprisingly the tundra has the same front calipers as the tacoma. But the tundra is much heavier. I would presume than the taco has much better stoping distance than even the tundra
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
The crazy thing is that I don't think the drums get used that much. I have the original stock drum shoes on my 96' and the thng has 223,000 miles. I checked them last year. They look like they've barely had any wear!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
I'm a TW addict!
BIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to behold

Name: Luke
BIGLuke's Tacoma Gallery
To my understanding the rear brakes in majority of vehicles account for 20% of braking but their main porpose is to keep the rear end in a stright line when braking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
I'm a TW addict!
BIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to behold

Name: Luke
BIGLuke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
The crazy thing is that I don't think the drums get used that much. I have the original stock drum shoes on my 96' and the thng has 223,000 miles. I checked them last year. They look like they've barely had any wear!
Thats weird I was always taught to change the rear pads everyother time you change the front pads.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
yep. Suprisingly the tundra has the same front calipers as the tacoma. But the tundra is much heavier. I would presume than the taco has much better stoping distance than even the tundra
The Tacoma has best in class stopping distance. Not sure about the Tundra....
Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFizik View Post
And don't the X-Runners have rear disc?
the XR's come with rear drum brakes just like our trucks...but the FJ cruiser comes with rear disc brakes and are the same lug pattern as our trucks (6x5.5)...i'm sure you could find 1 in your local junk yard and pull the rear discs off if you wanted to upgrade...
Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0LLPHR33 View Post
the XR's come with rear drum brakes just like our trucks...but the FJ cruiser comes with rear disc brakes and are the same lug pattern as our trucks (6x5.5)...i'm sure you could find 1 in your local junk yard and pull the rear discs off if you wanted to upgrade...
And the brake booster, and resivor.....You cant just slap on some isks and call it good. FWIW, Most disk brake swaps result in less stopping performance.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
I was surprised that my 07 had rear drums- I don't mind them, I feel like they are lower maintenance? But I was surprised nonetheless Just seemed kinda oldschool. No worries- I'm keepin em!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #17
JayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to behold
JayAre's Tacoma Gallery
I remember reading an article that said Toyota's "official" reason for this is because they work better in wet conditions, but off the record, they admitted it was because they are cheaper.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAre View Post
I remember reading an article that said Toyota's "official" reason for this is because they work better in wet conditions, but off the record, they admitted it was because they are cheaper.

It's actually quite the opposite, drum brakes are more prone to failure in wet conditions.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
Same here, my 97 went to the crusher with the original rear brakes.