1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership f*cking up sound system!?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOH, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    SLOH

SLOH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    haha no i wouldn't let them touch that shit either...i thought it was under warranty is the only reason i went to the dealership for it, otherwise i would have gotten a DeWalt or something and had that put in...the dealership ended up giving me a new one for free cause i'm a new customer, great impression right? okay so how would hooking up the battery wrong do that...i mean, the car starts fine and everything works fine...i'm a newb when it comes to electronics....so i don't understand arcing something and screwing stuff up either haha, if you want you can just pm me

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    okay went out there and checked...couldn't seen anything wrong with the battery, i mean i didn't know exactly what i was looking for what but the only wires that connect to the battery are on top and too the red and black, the black looks like it is ground to the truck and the red looks like it is ground to a separate part of the red side, started playing with the cables going to the amp and theres a thin blue, a red, a clear black, and then the normal black cable that looks like what is used to give power to the amp...so moving that one produced the thump that is completely out of place relative to the song and i could make it fast or slow, it also at one point made the bass louder and sound a shit load better...i had this problem before when my amp came loose off roading...the black cable the ground got screwed up but in that case, it was either all or nothing or barely anything, now it will still play, but not to 100% potential, maybe 80% and now there is like an "impulse" bass hit...if that is the problem

i had bestbuy install it originally, i have lifetime warranty on there install, they fix it for free everytime i bring it back there with screwed up shit...should i just bring it back to them or do you think they might screw up with the wiring since i had the HU wired past the factory amp last week or that won't affect anything should it..? or should i take it back to where i had the HU and all that wiring done..

the only thing is that i wouldn't want a random ass bestbuy to do it down here in san diego, i the best buy back at home, i know the guys that work on my truck and the main guy, who usually works on my truck, nows his shit and i trust him fixing stuff....

got any suggestions for stabalizing an amp while off roading, its come loose 3 times now...

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    yeah i know...i have to go to a hardware store and buy 1/4" thick L-joints, i have 2 of them holding my bass and drilled into the truck, the bass used to come loose too, that puppy wouldn't budge if a freight train hit my truck...to bad i can't do something like that with the amp, thats a little bit trickier and i couldn't tighten the ground wire back cause i have 0 tools here, not even a screw driver, i seriously have nothing, so i'll run by the shop that i had the HU done at tomorrow

OH another thing, as soon as i turn the key, so the car gets power from the battery, the bass goes does it, just once...thwump, its almost a weird hit that sounds like a long piece of plastic when you wiggle it, you know that sound, mixed with a bass hit, i've heard the bass do that before but as soon as it gets some juice it does it once and then thats it until music starts playing

4. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    There is a TSB out for your sub.

5. Oct 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    No offense bro, but I can't believe you called the dealership accusing them of messing with your gear and negligent work when you obviously know little to nothing about it yourself to conclude a diagnosis.

There is nothing wrong with questioning things around you and being protective of your possessions, but it is also important to have your facts straight before accusing someone of negligent work.

6. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    i didn't accuse the dealership of doing anything to my tacoma...all i stated when i called them is that i THINK somehow my alignment may have been screwed up, possibly when rotating the tires? I'm not sure of how this would have happened because i know none of the work done had anything to do with my suspension and what not but now there is oscillating in my steering wheel from left to right at speeds 40+ and it pulls left...is what i told them..i also told them feel free to test drive it to see what i am talking about, so i didn't out right accuse them of anything but informed them of the current condition of my truck after they had it...

and as for getting my facts straight, i've been getting them straight prior to me going back to the dealership which is tomorrow

as for "knowing little to nothing" youre right, i don't know shit about electronics, haven't dealt much with them or studied them, maybe you have good for you, i don't and thats why i'm on here asking around "getting my facts straight"

i don't have to know everything about electronics or suspension to know that a problem wasn't there prior to them handling my car and after picking my car back up there are problems

which after this thread we were able to narrow the bass problem down to a ground cable in my amp

7. Oct 13, 2009 at 6:16 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:

Your message was implying Toyota was at fault and messed with your system - which is what I referred to when I posted you should get your facts straight before presenting accusations. To sum it up, you blamed your dealership before you knew the problem and/or its cause, case closed.

Also you stated in one of your first posts that they aligned your rear drums? If you still have your invoice, I would be curious to hear how much they charged you for that service.

I'm glad your gear has been given a clear bill of health once again. As for the truck pulling to one side, it is possible for one of the tires that used to be on the rear to pull the truck to one side or another now that it is up front. The cause could be as simple as low air pressure. Other causes could include improper balance, a messed up tire belt, or irregular tire wear on older tires. Either way it isn't uncommon with larger truck tires versus passenger cars. A tire inspection and re-balancing should clear the issue. I would also crawl under the truck to see if one particular rim combo took an irregularly large amount of weight to balance. That could possibly be an indicator of a manufactured tire/rim out of spec.

For a quick check to see if it is indeed one particular tire/rim combo causing the problem, swap it with the other front tire on your truck and see if the truck now pulls the opposite way. If so you found your problem. I see no reason why a tech would mess with anything alignment related for a simple tire rotation. Whether or not the lot boy struck a curb remains an unknown. The oscillation in the wheel however would suggest a balance problem. Just because the tire combo is new doesn't mean anything - it could have been balanced incorrectly or the weights could have fallen off since balancing.

8. Oct 13, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    regarding the drums, they said they were dirty and had to be cleaned so they had to pop them off and clean them is what the guy told me and when they put them back on they had to "align" them to make sure they were on straight and right, i don't have the invoice with me currently but i don't think they charged me much for it...as for tire weights, i'll have to go check....i'm pretty sure the my truck didn't strike a curb cause the rims are black so scratches would be really seen very easily so that can be ruled out

as for tire balance....why would it be fine in one set up, like having that tire in the rear, but then once it get rotated to the front it becomes noticeable

9. Oct 13, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    I don't know the scientific answer behind it, but as I stated earlier I have one tire/rim combo that provides a "Shimmy" only when mounted on the front, usually most severe at 45-55 mph (80-90 Kmh)

I would guess the out of balance oscillations are so insignificant that they are unable to be transmitted through the entire chassis when mounted on the rear (which would need to happen for you to notice them). When mounted on the front, the oscillations are transmitted through the steering system directly to your hand and steering wheel.

10. Oct 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    scott i can fix your stereo for you. might benefit you more to just stop by the install bay of best buy for 10 mins rather than driving to the SFV, but i'm just throwing it out there for ya

11. Oct 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    SLOH

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    no yeah, im just going to the audio shop i had the HU installed and remember, im back in sd haha

Products Discussed in

To Top