1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

back up camera useful !? wow !

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NetMonkey, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    my truck came with the backup camera, but i never really considered that useful... until i was getting back in my truck from lunch today.

when i came out from the restaurant, i found that my truck had 2 huge vehicles parked on either side of it (a ford econoline passanger van and a raised up chevy suburban). i sat in the drivers seat and i couldnt see a damn thing down the parking lot aisle on either side of me. but, to my surprise, my back up camera has a wide enough lense that i could see if anyone was coming as i nudged out of the space. it made it easy to manuver out of the parking space.

brilliant :)

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I must say at first I thought it was just a gimick to sell the truck but I find it very useful as well. Great for hooking up trailors and seeing if any kids are playing in my driveway when I back down.

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Yeah, I use mine every time I park in our structure at work. I back in nearly everywhere, and with the camera I can get to within about an inch of the back wall, thus keeping the front end out of the line of traffic. We've got relatively narrow traffic lanes...

I also back in at home, and it's helpful to make sure the 3 and 7 year olds next door aren't running up on me (Apparenlty I'm their father figure... )

4. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    That's really all it's useful for though; stuff directly behind the truck.

There is a warning that says something to the effect of, "The backup camera lens is of wide angle type and may distort image size, shape, and perceived distance."
    When I read that the first time I thought, "Then what the hell is it good for lol!"

5. Oct 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya... i back into my space as well. i still dont have full confidence in where the wall is in the camera though :)

6. Oct 15, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    If you know how to drive, it is a huge bonus. With modest driving skills, you should be able to get within a few inches of something within a week or so of getting used to it.

The wide angle lens is also great if you have little kids, old pets, or are backing out from a spot and can't see if someone else might be backing out of theirs at the same time. Used in conjunction with the side mirrors, great tool.

7. Oct 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    You'll get used to it.

Get out of teh truck and check 5-10 times to gain a perspective for what you are seeing through the lens and you will have it dialed in in no time.

8. Oct 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    Slygrin

Slygrin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab V6 SR5 Timberland Mica
    De-badged, Foglights on anytime, Tailgate hose clamps, GPS semi-permanent mount, WeatherTech mats, Front mounted hitch, Blacked out front emblem, Color matched grille, Running boards, Bed mat, UWS low profile toolbox, Scanguage II, Prestige Alarm w/remote start, Snowsport snow plow
    First time I parallel parked using the camera was great. It was a tight squeeze and I could back up and get within an inch or so of the car behind me. I'm not sure what they would have thought if they had been in the car.

Hooking up the trailer is a lot easier too. In my old truck I'd just back up until the trailer hit, then I knew I was close.

9. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    K5423

K5423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa,AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double cab V6 SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N air filter
    I drive down the freeway in reverse when i'm bored thanks to my backup camera.:D

10. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Trust me, try closing your eyes its alot funner.

11. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    mike s

mike s Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Can someone post a half decent picture of what the camera image looks like? I have been curious about this feature and havn't seen one in person.

thanks

12. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    I did a mod to be able to turn mine on whenever I want to. and its great on the freeway, and really make ppl freak out when change lanes real close!! also found out it good for the blind spot too!!!

13. Oct 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    Slygrin

Slygrin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab V6 SR5 Timberland Mica
    De-badged, Foglights on anytime, Tailgate hose clamps, GPS semi-permanent mount, WeatherTech mats, Front mounted hitch, Blacked out front emblem, Color matched grille, Running boards, Bed mat, UWS low profile toolbox, Scanguage II, Prestige Alarm w/remote start, Snowsport snow plow
    With my front hitch and using it to park, I want one in the front now. Maybe have it come on when it's in first gear.

14. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    '20 Grey TRD Off-Road 6spd
    TC +2 LT, Kings, BAMF Armor, 35s, gears
    I wish all models would of had it. I wouldn't be out 900$ if they did!!

How much would it be to install it on an 05? Any body know?

15. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    WCJR

WCJR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W
    I do not know what the dealer might charge. However there are aftermarket units out there for like a $100. Check them out before you buy. Sams did have them.

16. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I really don't know how I got around without one now. I look in that mirror when backing up but the ONLY thing I see is that camera.

I place 100% of my trust in it. One of the best features of the truck. And having it hidden in the mirror turns a lot of heads.

17. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    hockey1chick

hockey1chick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redondo Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Sports
    RBP grilles, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, BF Goodrich All Terrain tires, MotoMetal Rims, Smittybuild stepers, tip..debadge-- no chrome for me!, front windows , tailights, fog lights and front headlights tinted!!
    I love love mine --except the one time when i got a tad cocky looked into the camera looked out the window and decided i can still squeeze a little more --hit the garage door --chipped my back paint --now everytime i am in reverse -- i bow and obey to the camera!!!!! =)

18. Oct 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    Johnny72381

Johnny72381 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma pyrite mica
    AMS oil and filter every change, K/N air filter, XM radio, Cb radio, and alot more to come.
    I love it for hooking up my trailor. I saves alot of time of going back and forth plus once you get used to it you can park really close as other users have stated. I use my Bumper as a referance point for distance when backing up using the camera works well.

19. Oct 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:

here you go....

the pictures of the screen arent as clear as actually seeing it in person (the digital camera picks up the reflections in the rear view mirror), but this should give you a good idea of what you can see behind you. the red spots against the wall are the brake lights from the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Oct 17, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    zjolsen

zjolsen Go Huskers!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Omaha,NE
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab TRD SPORT 4x4
    Pro dry S, Secondary filter removed, LaminX yellow fog light covers, Westin Step Bars
    How did you mod the camera to be turned on at any time? Tried searching, but didnt pull anything for camera mod

Products Discussed in

To Top