1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wheel spacers and wheeling/daily driving

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by j1999t, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    j1999t

j1999t [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    hey all, im wondering about wheel spacers for my 06 dbl cab 4x4, i would get a set (4 spacers) to widen my stance, and making it look cooler, but what would the effects be on daily driving and wheeling ( i dont go wheeling too often)

for those of you that have them...

thanks!

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    TreyMR2

TreyMR2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    still saving... :(
    I have some on my Jeep I daily drive and I haven't had any problems. They're 1.5'' ones I bought off ebay for like $110 shipped for the whole set.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    j1999t

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    im gonna get a set of spidertrax hub centric

4. Oct 17, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've got a set of those on my rig (1.25's) right now. And they haven't given me any trouble.

Took a bit of work to get them tight...but once they were- All set and I've wheeled it, driven 220miles each way to new Orleans several times.

So go for it!!!

5. Oct 17, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    Reaper22

Reaper22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmyra Missouri
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tacoma
    Radient Red, Red Grille, Debadge'd, Blacken'd Headlights, DTRL's, Cruise Control, Fog Lights, 2 1\2" suspension lift, 285\75\16 Nitto Dune Grapplers, Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB stereo, Pioneer 3 way fronts with factory tweeters & Kenwood tweeters, Kenwood truck boxes behide seats with 8" subs in each, Wet suit like tacoma seat covers
    I have got the Spidertrax coming (be here Monday) and lots of good things about them, The most important is that they are hub centric and that is really what you want, I guess you could get by with lug centric if you are not going offroad and they are cheaper (1\2 the price) and could give you that out a round effect but why sacrifice. Spend the xtra money and feel better and safer..That's just my $0.02.
    Got mine at http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPIDER-TOYOTA they have them in stock..

Good luck..

6. Oct 17, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    I have some eBay lug centric ones. I don't wheel, but I definitely have a heavy right foot and love to hear my CAI and exhaust scream together. That said, I think if anything were to go wrong if the spacers I have, it would of happened by now.

The hub centric ones are preferable to most (even me) but they are designed to go on OEM rims or rims with a 105mm hole for the hub. So if your rims aren't 105mm in the back you might as well have bought lug centric spacers.

The most important thing with lug centric is to take your time lining up the rim on the hub as you gradually tighten each lug. Making sure the whole time that you're not digging a lug into the side of your rim-lug-holes.

7. Oct 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    you can buy hub rings if your wheels have a larger hub. I run hub rings on my truck and it rides great. It rides great with 285/70/17 bfg all terrains as well.

8. Oct 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I'm using Spidertrax as well. Its been since June and they have been holding up fine.

9. Oct 17, 2009 at 12:25 PM
    j1999t

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    can i see some pictures of your trucks from the front? and how does it affect your driving? wider turns? parking etc?

10. Oct 17, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    I have not seen or felt any real changes in my truck since I added them on two weeks ago. I did follow the instructions and use a torque wrench which you will need. I took off my wheels, put spacers on, noted where lugs would fit over then added lock tight that is included with kit. Put nuts back on and torqued to specs as indicated by instructions. Put wheels back on and torqued again per directions. Drove about 50 miles, took wheels off, checked spacer nuts for proper torque then re attahced wheels. Done!

The off thing I am curious about lately is my gas mileage. I cannot tell if I have lost mileage as a result of it, or if I have just been giving a little more lead foot with my new look and feel.

11. Oct 17, 2009 at 12:55 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I've got some factory Steelies w/ winter tires on them and I hate how narrow it makes my truck look with them vs my aftermarket wheels. With that said, I think I might have to get some spidertrax spacers for my truck as well. I've never heard of anyone having issues with them in particular.

12. Oct 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    Again, these are 1.5" eBay lug-centric spacers... not spidertrax

IMG_2029_2af0ed213730223867b95e22b1b21814c6208d95.jpg
    IMG_2030_277654120cf0ef99fe6cc5d81fd24d1d7200d5cc.jpg

13. Oct 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    There is some pics of mine on this page"My Rhino Build Pics"

...my tires are about 12 inches wide so keep that in mind. 305/70/16 General Grabber AT2s. As for driving and turning i cant pull all the Uturns i used to but it isnt that bad. of course i got bigger tires as well so that plays in. Concerning parking, some times i have to back up once to get lined up right but i dont mind cuz its worth it for the Taco to look like it does:cool:

14. Oct 20, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    scott69

scott69 Member

Member:
    Hood River OR
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma double cab sport
    fog lights any time, light up 4x4 switch,on/off drls,3"toytec,255-80-17-km2's
    any body know if you can run chains on the front with spacers on a stock truck

15. Oct 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    I'm curious as to why the wearing or not wearing of chains would be affected by having spacers on your truck?

chains on your wheel is like your tires driving on a gravel road with bumps or something. there should not be a problem. Maybe there is something i am missing and someone can clear it up for me...Anyone?

16. Oct 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    scott69

scott69 Member

Member:
    Hood River OR
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma double cab sport
    fog lights any time, light up 4x4 switch,on/off drls,3"toytec,255-80-17-km2's
    my upper control arms are only about a 1/4 inch away from my tire.i just want to be able to use them if i need to a lot of snow here at times

17. Oct 24, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I had some on the front and they are solid, the spidertrax, only problam I had was that with them on my truck it made my tires rub very bad on the cab mounts and backside of the fenders.

Products Discussed in

To Top