Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

headlight aiming

Old 10-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
fibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant future
Name: roger
fibertop's Tacoma Gallery
headlight aiming

Does anyone have a tutorial on headlight aiming? I recently lifted the front of my truck by 3 inches. Now i'm getting headlight flashes. I will soon be adding xenon lights to the brew and I would like to compensate for the lift. Is this something a layperson can do or should I take it to a dealer?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go
Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
fibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant future
Thanks. This is way to much work for me. I will have to pay a dealer I guess
Old 10-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibertop View Post
Thanks. This is way to much work for me. I will have to pay a dealer I guess
Its really easy. Do you have anyone near by that can help? Where do you live?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its really easy. Do you have anyone near by that can help? Where do you live?
a few miles from AZ. I'm in Ontario Canada. Maybe I will give it a try.

Thanks
Roger
Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
a few miles from AZ. I'm in Ontario Canada. Maybe I will give it a try.

Thanks
Roger
If you have a long screw driver, use that. Aim the truck at a flat block wall, and move the light down a little bit. If your 10 feet or so from the wall, aim down about 3 to 6". AK27 is near you, I think...He could probably help.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Thanks, that sounds more my speed.

What I love about this forum is that there are so many of us on it that you get instant replies.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks, that sounds more my speed.

What I love about this forum is that there are so many of us on it that you get instant replies.

In the link I sent, It shows which adjuster moves the light down. Just make sure you use the correct adjuster for each light, and you can do it your self, if you have a long phillips head screw driver.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight adjustment

Take it easy. There's a post out there claiming the gearing on the screw is low, requiring a lot of turns to adjust. Not true!!
For my lift, which is 3" rear 2 1/2" front, I think I ended up with about 3-4 turns clockwise. (After reading the "low gear" post, I started with ~20 turns!!) Take your long #2 Phillips screwdriver, and a flashlight (do this at night). Give the screw 2-3 turns on both lights (adjust them evenly) and go for a short drive. Continue adjusting until you're happy with the light and no-one flashes you. Keep track of how many turns you've made so you know how much adjustment you need on each pass. Done! Also, with every adjustment check your brights. Need to get the balance between good low beam visibility and keeping the brights usable. Realistically, if your lows are too high to make the highs usable, you'll get flashed by oncoming drivers!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rock Taco View Post
Take it easy. There's a post out there claiming the gearing on the screw is low, requiring a lot of turns to adjust. Not true!!
For my lift, which is 3" rear 2 1/2" front, I think I ended up with about 3-4 turns clockwise. (After reading the "low gear" post, I started with ~20 turns!!) Take your long #2 Phillips screwdriver, and a flashlight (do this at night). Give the screw 2-3 turns on both lights (adjust them evenly) and go for a short drive. Continue adjusting until you're happy with the light and no-one flashes you. Keep track of how many turns you've made so you know how much adjustment you need on each pass. Done! Also, with every adjustment check your brights. Need to get the balance between good low beam visibility and keeping the brights usable. Realistically, if your lows are too high to make the highs usable, you'll get flashed by oncoming drivers!
The link says that turning the screw counterclockwise moves the beam down. Your post says you ended up turning it clockwise. Were you adjusting your beam up?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
hey roger, if you need a hand let me know!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
hey roger, if you need a hand let me know!
Thanks AK. I see the screw and I should be able to handle this. Where are you located? Are you the guy in the beach?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks AK. I see the screw and I should be able to handle this. Where are you located? Are you the guy in the beach?
nope, i'm in barrie. not to far away

meaford mike is not to far from ya
Old 10-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight aiming

My lift raised the rear a good 1/2+ inch higher than the front, so yes I needed to RAISE the headlight aiming point. If you're leveling, you'll need to lower the aim. Each lift result is different!! Remember to keep the left light a bit lower than the right- that's how all vehicles come aimed stock. Helps keep oncoming traffic happy. Right side a bit higher won't blind oncoming traffic, allows better side visibility and makes signs a bit easier to see.
Keep the screwdriver in the truck, and you can re-aim on the fly if you're temporarily carrying a load, dirt bike or ATV....just keep track of the turns so you can return to original setting!!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rock Taco View Post
My lift raised the rear a good 1/2+ inch higher than the front, so yes I needed to RAISE the headlight aiming point. If you're leveling, you'll need to lower the aim. Each lift result is different!! Remember to keep the left light a bit lower than the right- that's how all vehicles come aimed stock. Helps keep oncoming traffic happy. Right side a bit higher won't blind oncoming traffic, allows better side visibility and makes signs a bit easier to see.
Keep the screwdriver in the truck, and you can re-aim on the fly if you're temporarily carrying a load, dirt bike or ATV....just keep track of the turns so you can return to original setting!!

Interesting about the left being lowered more than the right. My son's hummer is like that which we noticed after converting to xenons. Now I know why, thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
Thanks to all for the help!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: RCR( Royal Canadian Regiment) INF
Name: Mike
meafordmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
nope, i'm in barrie. not to far away

meaford mike is not to far from ya
If I can help I will, have not done this yet but maybe should since I tow a heavy trailer, and get flashed all the time.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #20
b168 is on a distinguished road
b168's Tacoma Gallery
how does the left and right aiming works whne u turn the screw?
is it when turned clockwise does it go right?

thanks for the help