Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best Battery

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info. i was looking at consumer reports and they had the duralast gold as the number one battery for our group. honestly i think it's all based on opinions.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Well I just had to rid myself of mine 2 weeks ago. I had a optima red top and it failed completely. I was kinda dissappointed in it. I had done all the research and saw people getting 7-8 years out of them. Of course I know I live in the south and the weather it hard on batteries but I only got 4 years out of mine. The battery place I got mine at quit carrying them due to too many failures. I tried going to autozone as they sold them...and the only warranty the 1st 3 years not the prorated warranty. They said you had to deal with optima about that. From what I've heard optima isn't fun to deal with either. The place did knock $25 off the price of one of their batteries but it's still not the same as what I wanted. I would have liked to stay with optima but now I'm considering going with something else next time. The guy at the battery place said I was lucky to of gotten 4 years out of it. I think it kinda sucks that you buy that expensive of a battery and when it fails while still under warranty that the dealers won't honor the whole warranty (autozone). Now I have a crappy regular battery back in my truck cause I needed one then and found out all this when I got there. I guess it's back to research time again for batteries. I was thinking well I'll get a new truck before long but, I'm thinking I might just keep this one a little longer and will not be looking forward to getting another battery sooner than expected.

Murph
Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
ive always heard alot of good things about the optima yellow top. since it is a gel battery and not acidic it is more likely to not fail on a trail truck with alot of lights and toys and things
Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Optima FTW Thanks for the info guys
Old 10-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Wow ! I said Arguably. Now I have to re-think after your post. Just about any battery will get you 4 or 5 years and for less $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Well I just had to rid myself of mine 2 weeks ago. I had a optima red top and it failed completely. I was kinda dissappointed in it. I had done all the research and saw people getting 7-8 years out of them. Of course I know I live in the south and the weather it hard on batteries but I only got 4 years out of mine. The battery place I got mine at quit carrying them due to too many failures. I tried going to autozone as they sold them...and the only warranty the 1st 3 years not the prorated warranty. They said you had to deal with optima about that. From what I've heard optima isn't fun to deal with either. The place did knock $25 off the price of one of their batteries but it's still not the same as what I wanted. I would have liked to stay with optima but now I'm considering going with something else next time. The guy at the battery place said I was lucky to of gotten 4 years out of it. I think it kinda sucks that you buy that expensive of a battery and when it fails while still under warranty that the dealers won't honor the whole warranty (autozone). Now I have a crappy regular battery back in my truck cause I needed one then and found out all this when I got there. I guess it's back to research time again for batteries. I was thinking well I'll get a new truck before long but, I'm thinking I might just keep this one a little longer and will not be looking forward to getting another battery sooner than expected.

Murph
Old 10-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Cunuckoma 98 - 425,000 Miles
Canuckoma is on a distinguished road
Canuckoma's Tacoma Gallery
When my alternator went after some serious mudbogging not only did my red top get me home, but I drove the truck for 2 days before having to charge the battery manually. I use my truck in the arctic and the red top has lots of cranking power and good reserve. They are cheap at both Costco and Walmart. Resist the temptation to buy a cheap battery at Costco the Kirkland brand aren't all they are chalked up to be.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Well there's one vote for and one against. Now I don't know which way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckoma View Post
When my alternator went after some serious mudbogging not only did my red top get me home, but I drove the truck for 2 days before having to charge the battery manually. I use my truck in the arctic and the red top has lots of cranking power and good reserve. They are cheap at both Costco and Walmart. Resist the temptation to buy a cheap battery at Costco the Kirkland brand aren't all they are chalked up to be.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Huntr Pat is on a distinguished road

Army: Retired Flight Engineer
Huntr Pat's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Huntr Pat
I currently use a red top in my taco. I think its great! Now I'm researching some exhaust mods and headers. I currently have a revtek kit on my 98 taco but also have an inch height difference between from and rear. I may have to got with the toy teccoil overs for the xtra winch/ bumper kit with the 5100 bilstin.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Get a Sears Die Hard Platinum. People are saying they are made my Odyssey batteries.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think it kinda sucks that you buy that expensive of a battery and when it fails while still under warranty that the dealers won't honor the whole warranty (autozone).
I'm sure it's due to the fact that Autozone probably wouldn't see any reimbursement from Optima and that is the reason they probably didn't honor the manufacturer's warranty.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho?;
Get a Sears Die Hard Platinum. People are saying they are made my Odyssey batteries.

X2, pretty sure Sean with silverback uses Odyssey and swears by them.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
optima yellow top, I've had one in a truck for almost 10 years now, great product that just works...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtTaco View Post
optima yellow top, I've had one in a truck for almost 10 years now, great product that just works...
10 years is great. Just curious, googled yellow top, said deep cycle, red top starting battery. Don't we need a starting battery for our truck ? Isn't deep cycle for marine use ? Curious George.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
What he said !! I have had a group 31 Die Hard platinum for a little over two years now which is no big deal. But I have run a Engle fridge 24/7 since the first day with no problems. It also runs the winch longer and the big 12V onboard Compressor without worries. I do know of a couple people that have had problems with them but mine has been golden so far!

Products Discussed in this Thread