Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

When will the Tacoma get the 4.0 Dual VVT-i?

Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
When will the Tacoma get the 4.0 Dual VVT-i?

Toyota just came out with a new 5th gen 4runner with a revamped 4.0 V6 with Dual Variable Valve Timing that puts out 270 HP and 278 foot pounds of torque. This revamped engine is now on a level footing with pretty much every other engine in other Toyota vehicles now, where , each engine has Dual Variable Valve Timing that enhances HP, TQ Curve flatness, and fuel efficiency compared to previous engines with single (intake) variable valve timing. Well, except the Tacoma, and the Yaris. The Tacoma lags behind the rest of the Toyota line up with what is now hopefully dated technology with single variable valve timing.

Yes, the TAcoma is a potent performer as is, but when will Toyota bring the engine technology in the Tacoma up to par with the rest of their cars, trucks & SUV's?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Banned
K5423 will become famous soon enoughK5423 will become famous soon enough
K5423's Tacoma Gallery
I'd rather have the tried and true 4.0 that's in my 2010 then a brand new designed motor.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think the Dual VVT-i is anything to get too excited about. Its nothing new at all, was around in the 90s.

The reports of the 2010 FJ cruiser with the dual vvt-i have the 0-60 times being either the same or slower than the 2009 which had what we have. The gas milage ratings are the same or 1mpg better in the best case.

Not to mention those 4runner numbers call for premium fuel and the ratings for the current tacoma v6 with premium fuel are 245HP and 283 pound-feet of torque...

When it does come we might get 1 or 2 mpg better and performance most likely on par with what we already have.

I'm also 99% sure its not a newly designed motor, its the exact same motor with added control over the exhaust timing...
Old 10-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure it will be in the next gen. taco Why would it not be if its in everything else?
I really like the new design of the 4runner. I am quite sure the new taco is going to be badass. But I am still gonna keep my 2nd gen.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The VVT-i 4.7 get 270 hp. The Dual VVT-i 4.6 gets 310 hp. You don't call that a significant improvement?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The VVT-i 4.7 get 270 hp. The Dual VVT-i 4.6 gets 310 hp. You don't call that a significant improvement?

Thats the tuning of that engine on the 4runner...

The same dual VVT-i engine on the FJcruiser has 258hp and 270ft/lbs... (still talking premium fuel)

Say we have 245hp/283ft/lbs, all the numbers on premium, its as much about tuning for the specific vehicle as anything.

Also the 4.6 ltr's big advantage isn't the dual vvt-t. Its a completely new engine than the old one and runs at a higher compression ratio.

And after looking into it more the new 4runner and the new Fj reach their max hp/torque at higher RPMs than we do.

The gain is probably as much due to playing with the fuel curves as anything. The dual vvt-i is probably more about the 1-2 extra mpgs.

Ofcourse its welcome and nice to have, but its nothing to get excited about because the numbers aren't much better when its all said and done.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
I don't think the Dual VVT-i is anything to get too excited about. Its nothing new at all, was around in the 90s.

The reports of the 2010 FJ cruiser with the dual vvt-i have the 0-60 times being either the same or slower than the 2009 which had what we have. The gas milage ratings are the same or 1mpg better in the best case.

Not to mention those 4runner numbers call for premium fuel and the ratings for the current tacoma v6 with premium fuel are 245HP and 283 pound-feet of torque...

When it does come we might get 1 or 2 mpg better and performance most likely on par with what we already have.

I'm also 99% sure its not a newly designed motor, its the exact same motor with added control over the exhaust timing...
245 hp with premium??? How do you figure?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
245 hp with premium??? How do you figure?

Thats the advertised ratings for the 2005 tacoma, when they called for premium fuel. Starting in 2006 the changed the ratings and changed the recommended fuel to regular unleaded.

I had a press release from the time but the link won't work now.

It stated premium fuel was recommended, and was required for full performance at advertised spec, but lower octane fuel could also be used.

In 2006 they dropped the whole premium thing, there was alot of bitching about it in the early days of the 2005 model, and when they did they dropped the specs aswell.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
Thats the advertised ratings for the 2005 tacoma, when they called for premium fuel. Starting in 2006 the changed the ratings and changed the recommended fuel to regular unleaded.

I had a press release from the time but the link won't work now.

It stated premium fuel was recommended, and was required for full performance at advertised spec, but lower octane fuel could also be used.
Well...They are rated at 239hp 278 torque on premium, and 236hp/266tq on 87 with the new rating system.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
not to guide away from the issue but...for people that arent too knowledgable in the mechanics, what exactly differs between single and dual vvt-i? not really sure what it has to do with
Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Well...They are rated at 239hp 278 torque on premium, and 236hp/266tq on 87 with the new rating system.

Well thats fair enough, my numbers were from the window specs advertised at the time.

"Dual VVT-i takes conventional VVT-i a step further by varying not only the intake camshaft timing, but the exhaust timing as well. In essence, it continually adapts to the driving conditions so flexible driving performance is maintained while fuel economy and exhaust emissions are constantly managed to provide an excellent balance between performance and economy."

Its biggest advantage is reduced hydrocarbon emissions. Then it slightly improves fuel economy. As far as performance, I just don't think it does much other than allow them to eek out a tiny amout of performance at around the same MPGs by altering the fuel curves.

Can probably get the same performance with a URD MAF sensor calibrator which has a dyno proven 15hp gain on a stock v6 tacoma.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoit View Post
not to guide away from the issue but...for people that arent too knowledgable in the mechanics, what exactly differs between single and dual vvt-i? not really sure what it has to do with
Dual VVT-i has variable cam timing on both intake AND exhaust valves.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #14

The current 1gr-fe has VVT-i on the intake cam/valves only.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The theory is to increase scavenging capabilities.