Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What antifreeze to use?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
\m/.....\m/
ph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ph16drive's Tacoma Gallery
What antifreeze to use?

Now that I'm becoming more familiar with the 08 taco, I started wondering what type of antifreeze I'm supposed to use should my reservoir need refilling in the future. I searched the forum and did not find any threads about types of antifreeze. I saw Prestone had an "any vehicle" antifreeze the last time I was at Autozone but I assume it's green. Is that okay to mix with the factory red antifreeze?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phofener View Post
Now that I'm becoming more familiar with the 08 taco, I started wondering what type of antifreeze I'm supposed to use should my reservoir need refilling in the future. I searched the forum and did not find any threads about types of antifreeze. I saw Prestone had an "any vehicle" antifreeze the last time I was at Autozone but I assume it's green. Is that okay to mix with the factory red antifreeze?
it is ok to mix it says on the bottle
Old 02-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
the antifreeze in your radiator is toyota long life coolant, so thats what i got from the dealership, around $15 for a gallon of the pink 50/50 mix. i think its ok to use something else, as long as its a 50/50 mix.....just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
natrlyst will become famous soon enough

natrlyst's Tacoma Gallery
Just a quick question, why do you need anti-freeze already for an 08 tacoma?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
emad is on a distinguished road

emad's Tacoma Gallery
he dosent he said if he needs to in the future he was curious on what to use
Old 02-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Good post. Something that often gets ignored....

(not ignored, just forgotten about)

This makes me wonder what our antifreeze protection is? I've got one of those cheesy little tubes w/ floaters in it to check the temp rating (I think).
Laugh - that just shows how long its been since I used it.

..too lazy to look it up and keep this topic going for the hell of it...

What does the newer generation trucks recommend in the form of flushing & replacing? I think my 96 tacoma was 30k miles?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
\m/.....\m/
ph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ph16drive's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a link http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php to a scheduled maintenance guide that I don't know if it's thorough enough . . . just something I found quick. You can use the pull-downs to find your vehicle. For an 08 Taco, I couldn't find an entry such as "replace engine coolant." What I did find were several entries for "inspect engine coolant" . . . this is what makes me think this may not be thorough enough.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
The "new" pink toyota antifreeze is rated for 100,000 miles or 10 years. They reccommend every 50,000 miles or 5 years after that. They also state to NOT use any green antifreeze with the stuff. It a different chemical composition.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #10
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
The "new" pink toyota antifreeze is rated for 100,000 miles or 10 years. They reccommend every 50,000 miles or 5 years after that. They also state to NOT use any green antifreeze with the stuff. It a different chemical composition.
Thanks Roland for bringing that up. With that kind of rating, why would anyone concern themselves with replacing the fluid. If you need to add an amount of fluid you should have the dealer do some checking on where it went to! ! Just my observation! !

Don G
Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
natrlyst will become famous soon enough

natrlyst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phofener View Post
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it . . . as emad said, I just wanted to know what to use in the future . . . the truck does not need antifreeze yet.

Ssorry my bad, will read again next time...
Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
special pink stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
okay so we know it's the pink stuff, does anybody know the actual
dealer number/name of the stuff either pre-mix or what?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
Smile coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotarob2005 View Post
Use the factory stuff from Toyota, it isn't cheap, but I would recomend it over anything else. It is not pre mixed, use it 50 /50 with distilled water
I hear from my mechanic that 60/40 H2O/coolant is still acceptable. I believe that if you need to add a little to the reservoir topping it to the
desired line with distilled/deminiralized water is okay. Just dont' put regular tap water man. your make a big NO, NO if you do.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
sweater914 will become famous soon enough
sweater914's Tacoma Gallery
From the 2009 Factory Service Manual, Cooling page CO-3

Use only Toyota Super Long Life Coolant or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology (coolant with a long-life hybrid organic acid technology consists of a combination of low phosphates and organic acids).

Prestone Extended life coolant will work, even though its green.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Doesn't Prestone still make the long life orange antifreeze/coolant?

Marc M
Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
Redsoxnation is on a distinguished road

Redsoxnation's Tacoma Gallery
diy

anybody have a DIY work up on flushing and refilling Taco's my 06 will be five this April.. but it only has 40k on it.. pictures are nice thanks..

they want $89.99 at the dealer to this...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #18
House Doc is on a distinguished road
House Doc's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure if you do buy coolant it is SILICATE FREE. Otherwise you will introduce silicates and that will lead to premature wear on water pump, etc.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
easiest thing to do is go and get a jug from toyota. That way you know for sure its the right stuff.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #20
kd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rocky
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend that works at a radiator shop. He said that the Red Toyota antifreeze is the best stuff he has ever seen. He also said that he would buy in drums if he could. He said that it does not last forever but it lasts longer than any of the others and I should continue to use it for the life of the truck.