1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deciding against suspension TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by topdec, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Oct 20, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    frankrizzo1

frankrizzo1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab TRD Prerunner
    5100's at 1.75, Firestone Destination AT 265/75/16
    Where were all you guys when my truck was still under warranty, I want it done now! I would much rather have the tsb than add a leaf, but guess that is my only option if need be someday. Oh well :rolleyes:

2. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass

"go buy a cadi" maybe you could explain to me how you load your 4-wheeler in the back of a caddy? Or how you tow a large camper with a cadi? or how you go off-road in a cadi? Haul deer, bear or elk in a cadi? oh and while your at it......where exactly did I say I want a "super soft ride"? Are you just making stuff up?

Exactly what should a truck ride like?

What you fail to understand is many people use trucks in different ways, what works for you may not work for everyone. If I ran 9 leaf springs on the roads I drive on daily you would get bounced right of the road everytime you hit the washboards.

My truck spends more time empty than it does loaded. Does this mean I do not need a truck? Thats ridiculous.....should I put up with a stiff ride 100% of the time when I only haul stuff 40% of the time and have only bottomed out once in five years? ..that makes no sense either.

3. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Yep exactly 1". Measured it the morning of the service and immediately after I got home. Empty bed both times. Same spot in my garage too. I like my truck so much more now that since my tsb last week I've ordered an afe pro dry-s filter and clay-bared/waxed it yesterday. Plus got me thinking of more crap to buy...

By the way, it was my first clay bar experience. I nearly jizzed in my pants.

4. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Your truck looks exactly like mine. Now I'm racking my brain wondering if I should do this. My truck has never bottomed out, so they might turn me down anyway. I have some time to think about it, but you truck sure looks nice.

5. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    My truck still bottoms out on the bump stops with a full load of firewood after having the TSB done. The TSB should be a 5 or 6 leaf pack in my opinion.

6. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    Chill there E-Thug.
    [​IMG]

And I can tow a Trailor with my Cadi.

All I was saying is this: The TSB is to correct a Load issue with the truck, That one extra spring is not going to hurt your ride... and 2nd im running after market springs SO I can keep the Weight Carry Ability of my Truck. and Lift it. so Buzz off Mr. E Hard A$$...

And your Rear end should never Bottom out, unless your an Idot and hauling to much weight... Now comes the TSB in which case, there seems Toyota has found an Issue with the Spring rate they put in that Truck and are fixing the Problem.

A Truck should Ride like a Truck.

7. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    And I Guess My 9 springs are To Stiff for me to have flex, with a Bed loaded with gear.

IMGP5812_fdee701b37f45209f1bd81c74447f321e9e3e253.jpg

8. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    Well I dont know about flex but a 2,000 mile road trip pulling a 23' camper with your truck would not be much fun now would it?

you say:

well if thats the case I guess a truck should have power like a truck...and your little 4 banger would not be the best tow vehicle.... would it?

No e-thug here......everything in my post was fact.

You know its perfectly ok for people to have different opinions and its perfectly ok for people to use trucks in a different way, that does not make either one wrong. Just different.

9. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well, here's another................Decide NOT to decide not to get the TSB. :D

10. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    Ok Again you go off Topic, this is all about the TSB..
    Not what My Rig can tow and how far and what Size Motor I have. I was not being biased. I dident buy my truck to TOW a 23' Camper. I do Tow a 3k Pop-up with no Issue however.

I wasn't knocking anyone for being different.

Also If I wanted a TOW Truck I would have bought a Diesel to tow with.

and again to make my Point, Toyota Realized there was an Issue with the rear springs on the 2nd Gen Tacoma.(PERIOD) thats whats this thread is about...

And they give you a choice to get it installed or not. But dont come crying on this board when your truck is a couple years old and your leaf springs are reversed arched...

11. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    Still on the fence here too, so far I've decided not to get it. Only bottomed out once, I had 4 guys in the cab, and all of our bows/gear in the bed...we hit a speed bump at a little too much speed.

Largest load I've had was 8-9 treestands with ladders. My boats are not heavy either.

What does the 1st gen taco use for stock leaf springs? 3 leaf or 4 leaf with overload?

12. Oct 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    Yeah When it was Stock It had 4springs and 1 over load.

The Ones I run now are a Combo from Dakar that I put together.

7 Springs and 2 Over Loads.

13. Oct 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    lowcountry

lowcountry Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Savannah Ga
    Vehicle:
    06 DoubleCab Off-Road Indigo
    Leaf Spring TSB,Bilstein 5100@1.75,BFG/AT 265/75/16,Trimmed Flaps,Secondary Filter Removed,Foglight Anytime,Tint
    I had the tsb done a couple months ago and the difference is even better than I had anticipated. My truck looked like it sagged a little even when empty and definitely sagged way too much even with a couple hundred pounds, now, the truck has a slight rake and the ride is way,way better. I think your making way too much out of it and I bet you $20 that if you get it done you'll kick yourself for stressing so much! You'll be on here the next day telling us how incredible your truck feels compared to before.:)

14. Oct 20, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    How can anyone want that squirrely wheel hop feeling in corners without the truck even being loaded confuses me.:confused: Felt stupid as hell like somebody stole the sway bar & you aired down but didn't air back up for the road. Fuck gentleman's ride if that's what that is considered.

15. Oct 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    lowcountry

lowcountry Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Savannah Ga
    Vehicle:
    06 DoubleCab Off-Road Indigo
    Leaf Spring TSB,Bilstein 5100@1.75,BFG/AT 265/75/16,Trimmed Flaps,Secondary Filter Removed,Foglight Anytime,Tint
    Also, I know we all plan on keeping our trucks forever:rolleyes:, but how will this tsb affect future resale value? Will informed potential buyers in the future consider the 4 leaf trucks more desirable than the 3 leaf ones? Will it be harder to sell a truck that hasn't had this tsb done? Who knows, but any way you look at it it is a big improvement and this setup is the way it should have left the factory in the first place.

16. Oct 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    topdec

topdec [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your truck looks awesome. Thanks for the pix. This is really good info. I'm going to keep on reading the comments. Hopefully my thread helps more people that are on the fence.

17. Oct 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    Reason I asked is I had a 99 TRD that got bought back by toyota...I liked how that truck handled loaded and unloaded. It was all stock.

18. Oct 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    topdec

Member:
    Thanks for the comments. I always thought that having the rear 1" or 1.75" higher would make it feel lighter back there. From your experience, it sounds the other way around. More solid as you said.

19. Oct 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    topdec

Member:

Thanks for speaking up man. I appreciate you guys sharing your real-life experiences. I should be able to make an educated decision before my warranty ends this year.

20. Oct 20, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    topdec

Member:
    Interesting thought. I wish they either let us keep the old springs or can set us up for an appointment for the TSB after the warranty should you choose to do it that way and if you informed them before the warranty expires. But they don't.

Products Discussed in

To Top