Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Deciding against suspension TSB

Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
topdec will become famous soon enoughtopdec will become famous soon enough
topdec's Tacoma Gallery
Deciding against suspension TSB

Hi,

I'm a long-time member but have not been active for a few years. I have been following a few threads in multiple sites that are related to the Tacoma suspension 'harsh ride' tsb.

My wife and I hauled a lot of things during our 2-year, 1400 sq/ft basement project. I also helped a friend haul 1200 pounds of bricks where I measured the gap between the fender flare and the tire to be close to fist-size. Never did I feel the suspension bottom out.

But closing in on 3 years, I called my dealership last week to schedule my 30K maintenance work, and also told them about the tsb. The only thing the service guy said was that its going to be a stiffer ride if I get the 4-leaf spring assembly. That was it! He wrote up my appointment anyway after I said I wanted it done. This was over the phone!

Since I scheduled my appointment last week I've been researching on how others dealt with the rear being raised 1.75" post tsb. Some used spacers, some used advance coil-over systems, but the setup that caught my eye was the bilstein 5100 solution that lifts the front end to .85" or 1.75". I decided the latter is the best and cheapest solution for me.

I decided too that I had to get the tires I want for this winter to save myself the alignment fee since its part of the tsb work. So I did. I bought Firestone Destination A/Ts (265/70/17). I must say they look awesome with stock suspension. Very aggressive-looking but quiet tires, and I got 1 for free. But I digress.

Last night was the worst night of all. I was still researching until 3am 'cause today at 7am was my appointment to drop off the truck. I was still 50/50 on getting the tsb done. The reason this is such a difficult decision for me is because I've lowered a car not so long ago. What I found out in that project is that once you mess with suspension, the work is never going to end.

I ended up bringing the truck in this morning. But I decided against having the tsb done today. I postponed it for the end of November. The 30k maint work was done and I also paid for a $99- alignment work. Driving home I felt really good about my decision. My truck looks awesome and drives perfectly.

I'm going to try really hard to convince myself NOT to have the tsb done. That if later on I see sagging, I'll just pay for springs then. Or in case I need to carry heavier stuff, I'll invest in airbags.

Just wanted to share. Thanks for a great site guys.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
cobracomander is on a distinguished road
cobracomander's Tacoma Gallery
To each his own, I guess. As long as you are happy thats what counts. I got mine done because I wanted my truck to be able to carry safely a load that Toyota advertised. Now that it is done, the difference in driving is hard to tell. I have two buddies that don't have it done either. One has a 300lb shell, a 3" lift and sags lower than mine loaded with 200lbs of sand. I have stock suspention, and I have no problems. The 1.75" is now really more like 1". The other thing is that it is like $1400 for the TSB. Why would you pay for it later when you can have it done for free?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
frankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrankrizzo1 has a spectacular aura about

frankrizzo1's Tacoma Gallery
I went through the exact same dilema upon approaching 36,000 miles. I decided against it because I dont haul much of anything really. On the other hand..... have you looked under our trucks and seen the 3 leaf pack? Its not that impressive. Its a personal decision I guess. If I could do it over again, I might lean more towards getting it done.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
JTDTacoma is on a distinguished road
JTDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You thought about it too much. The ride isn't at all stiffer with the new springs, in fact it's better even with an empty bed. Much better actually. The tsb raised mine exactly one inch and isn't even noticable. The new springs are what should be put on at the factory in my opinion. Best thing I've done for my truck is the rear leaf tsb. Nice choice on the tires. Got that size on my sport too. If you want me to email you a pic of my sport post-tsb, with 265/70/17 tires then pm me your email and I'll send it from my iPhone. You will see how level the truck remained after the new springs.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
I really couldn't tell that much of a difference after I got my tsb done. the big difference came when I had the lift and new tires and rims installed.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
09sportowner is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
09sportowner's Tacoma Gallery
So, when you get the TSB done on the leafs, you have to do purchase things to go along with it (spacers, coil over)? I'm confused! I thought that Toyota did everything that needed to be done when the TSB is performed. I want to get mine done, but all this talk about suspension problems and alignment issues afterward makes me nervous.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Spootypuff is on a distinguished road
Spootypuff's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spootypuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
long as ur happy........Personally I didnt notice any issues with my TSB done. Sure I want the 5100's, but I wanted those anyways so the TSB isnt to blame in my case.
This. The ride is certainly not worse, in fact I'd say it's a little better. I wanted 5100s before I even knew about the tsb.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure why the tech's try and talk you out of it. My guy told me that it is going to be such a stiff ride, and there was no going back. I never regretted it for one minute. I haul stuff quite often though. Just landscaping stuff usually, but I can tell a huge difference. Before I had the TSB done I hauled a yard of mulch, bumped the hecked out of the bumpstops. The tech told me they were scratched up pretty good, so they didn't question my tsb at all. Since I have hauled multiple yards of dirt, mulch, and rock. Never have I had that problem since. I set my billies at 1.75 right before I took the truck in, got the free alignment and never looked back. I don't think with this set up I will have on-going issues at all. My alignment was spot on, and my tire wear has been just fine with the rugged trails. If you are worried about the 1.75 height in the rear, it does settle to about an inch, especially after a couple loads. At 1.75 in front, my truck is just about level, very slight front rake.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
Nothing else needs to be done. The rear is raised an inch because there is 4 leafs instead of 3. The allignment is done by Toyota after the new spring assembly is installed. No cost to the customer if within warranty. The allignment is part of the tsb. Some People add 5100s to the front to raise the front a little to match the raised back but I didn't find it necessary.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
rachunter will become famous soon enough
rachunter's Tacoma Gallery
Ok this will not be too popular but we are each entitled to our own opinion.

I have had two Tacomas TRD Off-Roads a 2005 and now a 2008 model. In owning both of these trucks I have only had the rear end to bottom out one time and that was when I was hauling a 4-wheeler off-road over some very large bumps.
I also pull a 23' camper about 10 times a year and I have had zero problems and have never bottomed out while towing many, many miles.

I friend of mine has a Tacoma and has had the rear leaf tsb done on his truck and it does ride rougher and the rear end also sits up higher.
I know the rear end only raises up about 1 3/4" but to me that does not look good at all. I also know you can install the 5100's on the front to make the truck sit more level but then with the factory size tires on the trucks it leaves too much empty space between the tires and and the fenders to look good (my opinion only). So if I got the tsb I would also need to get a set of 5100's for the front and 4 larger tires to help fill the gap in the fender wells, I also have a different set of wheels I run in the summer so that is 4 more tires I would need to buy in order to get a look that I would be happy with and still I would have a rougher ride that I do not like.

So for me to get the tsb to fix a problem that I have only had once in 5 years of Tacoma ownership would not make any sense at all. Just because something is free does not mean that I need it.
I would much rather have my truck bottom out once every 5 years than to have the issues that I have listed above.

I do use my truck, I do haul loads and I do tow with my truck. I use it the way it was meant to be used and I have not had any issues besides the one incident listed above.
If I hauled bricks or stone or other very heavy material on a daily basis then maybe the tsb would be for me......but then again if I were going to haul that much on a daily basis I would have bought a bigger truck.

Again this is just one mans opinion and I do not expect everyone to agree with me and thats fine just remember you have you opinion and I am allowed to have mine.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I had the TSB done and feel the trucks handles great w/o any load. With a load it is like a dream. For me, the TSB gave me some stability in the rear of the truck. Before the TSB, I felt like the rear end was rather soft, handled poor and gave a swishy ride. Now, I feel like the truck is solid in the rear, handles good especially around corners and the ride is nice and tight.

As for it being stiffer, I wold say only if you hit a pothole etc would you notice it. Not a milkshake experience at all. Too bad you cannot drive your friends truck that has the TSB and see for yourself. The ride does not change to the point that is makes the truck not fun to drive. Not in the least.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #12
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
I don't regret it. After it was done it felt stiffer, And more stable in corners. It softens up after awhile. I had 500lbs of plaster in my truck before the tsb, and it bottomed out on the smallest bump. After the tsb, i have had up to 1,200lbs of plaster in the truck, And never felt it hit the bump stops once! I knid of like the jacked in the ass end look. And now at red lights, My headlights don't blind people.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #13

here's a picture of mine post-tsb with stock front. Level enough for me.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
Spootypuff is on a distinguished road
Spootypuff's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spootypuff
pre tsb

post tsb

Old 10-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Its a Truck. Its supposed to Ride like a Truck. If you wanted a super soft ride go buy a Cadi. The TSB fixes the screw up from Toyota. Period.

I Run 9leaf springs. yeah with no load the rear is a little stiff. but again its a Truck not a Car. Its going to be a tab bit rougher with no Load in the Rear.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #16
DaveInVT is on a distinguished road
DaveInVT's Tacoma Gallery
Had the tsb done on my 08 dbl cab, very happy with it. the ride is a little stiffer, but its a truck. In the winter I pick up sand to put on my driveway, usually 600-800 lbs a load. No more issues bottoming out on the frost heaves. It did pick up the back end a little bit, not enough to really notice. For me I am glad I did it. ---DaveinVT
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Amen Redz!!!! SPEAK IT BROTHER!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
I would think if you register the complaint now (whilst it's within warranty) you could get the TSB done at a leter point (when it's out of it's warranty period). Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Topdec, heres a couple of pictures of my 08 before and after TSB
before

after

I've been driving it for over 10,000 miles since the TSB was done and I'm happy with it. Pictures are just to help you decide if its for you. Good luck with the decision.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #20
Sandfire will become famous soon enough

Sandfire's Tacoma Gallery
Like someone already said, the rear leaf TSB only raised the rear of my truck about 1" and that was measured right after it was done, I'm sure it has settled a small amount since. It is really not that big of a deal, I had no noticeable changes to the ride quality. The change I noticed was positive and that being it seems to sag less when pulling trailers.