1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this paint repair DIY-able?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by glwood6, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Just purchased this 2006 Prerunner, and it has one defect. The previous owner hauled something long and heavy, and it scraped up the back top edge of the cab:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this in any way a do-it-yourself project to fix (which I don't have any experience doing, but am game), or should I be looking for a paint and body shop?

2. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    Padilla1880

Padilla1880 "Let's Ride!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad V6 SR5 PreRunner
    Anything can be a diy project. Just need the know how. If your not confident in doing it yourself then considering having it done professionally.

Check out
    www.automotivetouchup.com for paint.

3. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    The good news is it is on the roof of the cab, not really visible from the ground unless you are fairly tall (which I'm not), so I'm game to give this a try. What I was hoping for was someone who had tried a similar repair that might be able to walk me through this. Worse come to worse, I can always have it repainted at a shop.

I'm also willing to do any prep work that might bring the paint shop price down if that is my only option...

Meanwhile, I'll get some estimates.

Thanks.

4. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    Padilla1880

Padilla1880 "Let's Ride!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad V6 SR5 PreRunner
    Yea doesn't hurt to give it a try. If you click that link there is a video that shows an actual touch up job for an example on how to prep and paint.

5. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    yeah thats a good one... too big for them small touch up paints I think.
    That video from autotouchups.com is good. You can hide it a little with paint, but I bet you would need a full spray on the roof/rear to really fix it because it's silver mica (metallic). I have tried many small chips on mine with the dealer touch up and the match really isnt a match. But its paint in the hole and it stops rust... so... also try this kit from http://www.langka.com/complete-paint-chip-repair-p-30.html

it works good for the small stuff, or you could buy some "blob remover" at an auto parts store + touch up pen and have almost the same results as the Langka kit.

6. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Maybe wet sand the area to the primer, tape off the sanded part, and paint and clear coat

7. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    that would be the best way in my opinion.. but that kind of stuff i'd have done professionally

8. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    I agree. If you have enough confedience then by all means go for it.:)

9. Oct 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    I need you guys to help me decide which way to go. I went for 3 estimates today, just for reference's sake. Two were pretty big paint and body shops that do a lot of insurance work. The other was 1-Day Paint, of which there are two in town. These are the results:

They all pretty much said they would do the same thing. Prep the area that needs fixing, paint with base color coat from the window up around the edge about 6-8" back from the corner onto the roof. Then they would spray the entire roof (between the black trim strips) with clear coat, with all the prep and protecting the rest of the truck involved. Makes sense.

These are the cost estimates:

Body shop 1, which is two blocks from my work - $400
    Body shop 2, about a half mile from work - $525
    One Day Paint, on my way home from work - $219

I decided since I really don't have the right equipment, and it would seem beyond using spray cans for the clear coat on the whole roof, plus I don't really have a place to do this myself, I would have a shop complete the work. Can I trust the shop with the lowest price to do the work well? My son used to use the One Day Paint to paint cars that he would fix up, and they seemed to do a decent job, I just am a little leery, but the price is tempting. Let me know what you think. I am sort of leaning toward the middle priced shop.

I have one more option to find out about tomorrow. The dealer where I got the truck has a body shop, and I am going to see if they will do the work there at a discount price since I just got the truck. I'll find that out tomorrow. The big drawback there is it is 25 miles away.

10. Oct 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    i wouldn't do those macco style places.. private body shops can do a great job. $400 is about what i was thinking for something like that. I think it's a fair price. I just finished the restoration of my 1965 dart about a year ago from a local place and it looks amazing for not so much $$, and it's nice to support local business. here's a pic of her:

[​IMG]

BUT long and short of it - i'd say go take a look at the work the $400 guys are doing. Go see a finished car, one in progress.. so on. Meet the paint guy and body guy and see some of their work. If you feel confident, and their warranties sound good, go for it.

the guys who did my car, they messed up a section that i noticed 6 months later. Took it into them and they fixed everything perfectly and reminded me to take it back whenever i'd like if i see anything else. Look for those qualities.

$200 is great for a car that you're fixing up to sell.. but not for your OWN car :)

11. Oct 20, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    C-Hawk

C-Hawk Active Member

Member:
    If the scratch bothers you enough to get fixed, don't cheap out and get the work done at a reputable shop. Ask around locally and look at some of the shops work, then decide.

12. Oct 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    I love that dart post some pics and sell it to me:D

13. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    or do the prep work (sanding and primer) then have a shop paint it.???

14. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    haha thank you..! here's ONE picture.. (i cant help it.. she loves showing off!!)

[​IMG]

:threadjacked:

and moving on.. :cool: :D

15. Oct 21, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    I wanted to say I appreciate all the non-Dart input about the paint fix (just kidding, that's really a nice car).

I ended up talking to 5 body shops after all and got estimates from all of them for repairing the scratches on the cab roof. Most of them are around the same price, but one stood out as being really knowledgable and helpful. The owner really spent a lot of time going over the process, showing me examples of his work, and assuring me of a great paint job, with an exact color match. I feel pretty confident that this shop would do the job right. They even gave me a little break on their hourly rate, which doesn't hurt. They weren't the least expensive, but came in slightly under three of the five. Looks like they can take care of the paint job on Monday, so when I pick it up I'll post the results and show how it looks. Again, thanks for the help and encouragement. :thumbsup:

16. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    thats so awesome! Exactly what i woulda done. Congrats..! I'm excited to see how it turns out.. :D

17. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    I never did post results on the paint fix, so decided to update my old thread. I ended up having the work done at a custom paint and body shop near where I work, and was completely impressed and satisfied with the turnout. The owner spent a lot of time discussing his process, and made me feel very comfortable with his shop doing the work. He had tons of photos and vehicles that he could show me, so I went ahead. His price was not the most expensive or the least, but I went with him based on the one-on-one attention he gave me prior to the fix...here are the after photos, compared to the before pix above:

[​IMG]

Driver's side
    [​IMG]

Passenger side
    [​IMG]

Not only did he fix the paint, they did the entire truck with claybar and waxed it when they were done...

18. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Sounds like one hell of a shop. I sometimes find myself in similar predicaments with daily decisions and usually do the exact same. I would rather spend a little extra and support an individual who takes pride in their work and operate their business on the basis of customer satisfaction and care.

19. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Sounds like one hell of a shop. I sometimes find myself in similar predicaments with daily decisions and usually do the exact same. I would rather spend a little extra and support an individual who takes pride in their work and operate their business on the basis of customer satisfaction and care.

Quick question:

Did the salesman at the lot where you purchased point out the scratch before you signed the papers? If not, maybe a pleasant visit with receipt in hand might result in some rewards. Maybe not cash in hand, but free oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

20. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    I've gone down that road already. I asked for some reimbursement on the paint job, they declined to help out. I had some other issues with their customer service after the sale that were negative also, so I decided to just take care of it myself, and will not do any more business with that dealer, nor send anyone else there.

Products Discussed in

To Top