1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Skid Plate Enhancement"--Gulf States Part/Substitution

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomaatw, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:26 PM
    tacomaatw

tacomaatw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    010 TRD Off-Road Super White
    Avid Off-Road Bar, Superbumper, Weathertechs, Hunter 4x4 Nerf Bars
    As some of you know, I recently took delivery on a 2010 DC OR. I had to order it from the factory through the fleet manager, since the dealer didn't have what I wanted (and I was also considered as part of a special program group). My salesperson was great, but neither he nor I saw the truck before delivery.

One of the options listed was "skid plate enhancement." Having obsessed over the 2009 Tacoma brochure, I thought this was the front silver/gray skid plate featured in all the photos and on toyota.com with the DC OR truck. I was wrong, as you'll see in the photo below.

The piece of metal looks like it costs about $25, but on the window sticker, it's listed as $205. I was shocked. And disappointed. Gulf States had obviously duped me when the truck had arrived at port in Houston.

The day after I took delivery, I contacted Toyota's national customer service number. I explained the situation, was given a case #, and told I'd be contacted in 1-3 business days. Today I called, since it was the 4th business day. I spoke to another representative, and he told me Toyota would reimburse me for the cost of buying a new front skid plate. I wanted to install it myself.

When I spoke to my salesperson today, he told me that when they looked up the part number for the front skid plate, PT212-35051, it was substituted with "GS." I would assume this is Gulf States.

I'm not sure if this is a nationwide change. More likely it's Gulf States. Had I seen the truck on the lot before delivery, I would have declined the "skid plate enhancement."

Anyway, for those of you that have to order a truck in the Gulf States region, be aware. The "front skid plate enhancement" may not be what you expect. I wanted to give everyone a heads-up...I hope this doesn't jeopardize my reimbursement from Toyota!

Photos are below. Those are water droplets on the truck bumper.

IMG_4273tw.jpg
    IMG_4306-tw.jpg

2. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:27 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Southern California. Fountain Valley
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    thats not 205$

such a joke

take it off!

3. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    Shame on toyota that thing looks like shit. No offense to you or your truck but someone at toyota is an asshole

4. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    x2

5. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:54 PM
    tacomaatw

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    This is the front skid plate I was expecting.

5382.jpg

6. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:59 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    i got the "im lazy one lol"

7. Oct 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Southern California. Fountain Valley
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    it looks bent and warped

8. Oct 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    tacomaatw

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    bump.

I want to be sure a lot of people get a chance to read this.

Marc

9. Oct 22, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    hahaha...

10. Oct 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    cobracomander

cobracomander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Talk about cutting corners!

11. Oct 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    yes zziirr

12. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    You're not the only one, I've seen a few Tacomas even Tundras with that "skid plate". POS IMO.

13. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    did they get lazy..?? was it the dealership or toyota...???

14. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    haha yea i have one on my truck want to buy it 25 bucks haha

15. Oct 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    tacomaatw

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:

It was neither. Toyota shipped it to the Gulf States port in Houston, and Gulf States decided to add this "skid plate enhancement" while the truck was in Houston. I took delivery on the truck in San Antonio. I bet Toyota's going to be mad about this, given that most people consider it an awful look.

I'm not upset with Toyota or the dealer...Gulf States fuels my ire.

16. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:16 AM
    spearhead

spearhead Taco Supremist

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    09 4DR Mag Grey 4WD Sport
    TRD CAI Eibach Springs 5100s all around Front set to .85 Toytec AAL
    Thats just pathetic

17. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Did you pay for a skid plate? The aluminum looking one that you expected? The enhancement thing is new I'm guessing? The skid and enhancement are two different items. The black skid that you have is what mine came with and it's not a very good one. It's better than nothing?:rolleyes: I was expecting the same one. It was my fault for not asking. Sounds to me that you ordered two of something and didn't bother to ask? Now in my opinion the black skid is better or stronger than the silver one. It my not look nicer but I think the black one is stronger? Just my 2 cents?

18. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    those have been offered for awhile...on both the older tundras and at least 01-04 tacomas...

19. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:54 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    looks like a metal wind screen. dont touch anything with it, It will bend!!! every one of those I have seen on older trucks has been nearly torn off.

20. Oct 23, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    That looks like poop. Can you take it off and give it back to them for the $200? lol

Products Discussed in

To Top