Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Skid Plate Enhancement"--Gulf States Part/Substitution

Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
tacomaatw is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
tacomaatw's Tacoma Gallery
"Skid Plate Enhancement"--Gulf States Part/Substitution

As some of you know, I recently took delivery on a 2010 DC OR. I had to order it from the factory through the fleet manager, since the dealer didn't have what I wanted (and I was also considered as part of a special program group). My salesperson was great, but neither he nor I saw the truck before delivery.

One of the options listed was "skid plate enhancement." Having obsessed over the 2009 Tacoma brochure, I thought this was the front silver/gray skid plate featured in all the photos and on toyota.com with the DC OR truck. I was wrong, as you'll see in the photo below.

The piece of metal looks like it costs about $25, but on the window sticker, it's listed as $205. I was shocked. And disappointed. Gulf States had obviously duped me when the truck had arrived at port in Houston.

The day after I took delivery, I contacted Toyota's national customer service number. I explained the situation, was given a case #, and told I'd be contacted in 1-3 business days. Today I called, since it was the 4th business day. I spoke to another representative, and he told me Toyota would reimburse me for the cost of buying a new front skid plate. I wanted to install it myself.

When I spoke to my salesperson today, he told me that when they looked up the part number for the front skid plate, PT212-35051, it was substituted with "GS." I would assume this is Gulf States.

I'm not sure if this is a nationwide change. More likely it's Gulf States. Had I seen the truck on the lot before delivery, I would have declined the "skid plate enhancement."

Anyway, for those of you that have to order a truck in the Gulf States region, be aware. The "front skid plate enhancement" may not be what you expect. I wanted to give everyone a heads-up...I hope this doesn't jeopardize my reimbursement from Toyota!

Photos are below. Those are water droplets on the truck bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
"Skid Plate Enhancement"--Gulf States Part/Substitution-img_4273tw.jpg   "Skid Plate Enhancement"--Gulf States Part/Substitution-img_4306-tw.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
thats not 205$

such a joke

take it off!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
Shame on toyota that thing looks like shit. No offense to you or your truck but someone at toyota is an asshole
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
This is the front skid plate I was expecting.
Attached Thumbnails
"Skid Plate Enhancement"--Gulf States Part/Substitution-5382.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
it looks bent and warped
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
bump.

I want to be sure a lot of people get a chance to read this.

Marc
Old 10-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
cobracomander is on a distinguished road
cobracomander's Tacoma Gallery
Talk about cutting corners!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
You're not the only one, I've seen a few Tacomas even Tundras with that "skid plate". POS IMO.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #14
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
haha yea i have one on my truck want to buy it 25 bucks haha
Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman427 View Post
did they get lazy..?? was it the dealership or toyota...???

It was neither. Toyota shipped it to the Gulf States port in Houston, and Gulf States decided to add this "skid plate enhancement" while the truck was in Houston. I took delivery on the truck in San Antonio. I bet Toyota's going to be mad about this, given that most people consider it an awful look.

I'm not upset with Toyota or the dealer...Gulf States fuels my ire.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #16
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
Thats just pathetic
Old 10-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #17
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Did you pay for a skid plate? The aluminum looking one that you expected? The enhancement thing is new I'm guessing? The skid and enhancement are two different items. The black skid that you have is what mine came with and it's not a very good one. It's better than nothing? I was expecting the same one. It was my fault for not asking. Sounds to me that you ordered two of something and didn't bother to ask? Now in my opinion the black skid is better or stronger than the silver one. It my not look nicer but I think the black one is stronger? Just my 2 cents?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
those have been offered for awhile...on both the older tundras and at least 01-04 tacomas...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #20
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like poop. Can you take it off and give it back to them for the $200? lol