Notices

Why is my fuel mileage so bad???

Old 02-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Conservative
Motorkopf is on a distinguished road

Marines: 3002
Motorkopf's Tacoma Gallery
Why is my fuel mileage so bad???

I bought my 2.7L prerunner certified used. Last week I got the best fuel mileage since I bought it in November because I drove it mostly highway at around 65mph. I got 22mpg. I've heard others getting quite a bit better than that. Anyone have any idea why my fuel mileage is so low? I was really driving with a light foot. My worst mpg so far has been about 18mpg. Or is what I'm getting pretty normal?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What's your truck rated to get in gas mileage?

3" lift isn't gonna help... if you have bigger tires, that ain't gonna help either.

Since you bought it used - have you gone through and done some maintenance and maintenance checks?

Here in PA atleast, the gas changes (formula) somewhat and it affects gas mileage a bit.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
hokihigh is on a distinguished road
hokihigh's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Not to sound like a broken record but... everyone is pretty much right. Think of it this way, none of the domestics are even close to what you're getting...not even the diesels.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What's your truck rated to get in gas mileage?

3" lift isn't gonna help... if you have bigger tires, that ain't gonna help either.

Since you bought it used - have you gone through and done some maintenance and maintenance checks?

Here in PA atleast, the gas changes (formula) somewhat and it affects gas mileage a bit.
Thanks all- I have stock tires and wheels, and the gas mileage wasn't any better before the lift, but I had thought of that. I got it "Certified Used" with low miles (20K). My truck is rated 20/25, so I suppose it is well within the expected range, but I keep hearing others with the same truck getting 26, 27 and even 28mpg and I'm nowhere near that high. Maybe it's CA gas???
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Not to sound like a broken record but... everyone is pretty much right. Think of it this way, none of the domestics are even close to what you're getting...not even the diesels.
Absolutely, and I knew I was bringing up an overused topic, but that's what these forums are for- getting others' opinions and recommendations. And I appreciate yall's feedback! It does seem like I am very much on the bottom of the spectrum of 2.7L owners for gas consumption, but you're right- it's still much better than the vast majority of other trucks.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorkopf View Post
Thanks all- I have stock tires and wheels, and the gas mileage wasn't any better before the lift, but I had thought of that. I got it "Certified Used" with low miles (20K). My truck is rated 20/25, so I suppose it is well within the expected range, but I keep hearing others with the same truck getting 26, 27 and even 28mpg and I'm nowhere near that high. Maybe it's CA gas???
Thanks.
I don't know about CA gas...but I'm pretty sure the winter gas over here on the east coast is a different formula and causes worse gas mileage. I've seen it in every vehicle I've ever owned.

You can always add some fuel injector cleaner to the gas and see if that helps any....won't hurt. Check all other maintenance.... REsearch for some gas saving mod's. Tonneau covers have always worked for me. I've also had luck with either exhaust upgrade or air filter upgrades (just not exhaust AND intake upgrades together).
Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Tire pressures OK?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Has it had a tune up lately?....I know toyota claims some 121 point inspection but you never know?..I once bought a used "certified" truck and when I went home and looked at the filters they were dirty,the oil was dirty,4 different psi in tires,and little or no trans fluid!...WTF Toyota?...."Oh what a feeling"....my ass!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Surfsupl makes a good point, check it all out.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Has it had a tune up lately?....I know toyota claims some 121 point inspection but you never know?..I once bought a used "certified" truck and when I went home and looked at the filters they were dirty,the oil was dirty,4 different psi in tires,and little or no trans fluid!...WTF Toyota?...."Oh what a feeling"....my ass!
Yeah, I agree. And it doesn't matter where you take it.... If you don't do the work yourself, you can't trust these places. Unless you're lucky enough to find a good mechanic that you stick with all the time and build some trust in....

Or you gotta atleast know to check & verify that everything you paid for (in maintenance work) was done and done properly.

Anytime I buy a used vehicle - total maintenance check (like you did) and all oils changed, and everything else looked at, cleaned, etc.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
maybe you can use a scan gauge II
Old 09-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Larger tires will probably hurt mileage on acceleration since it takes more throttle to get the truck moving, but would having less revs per mile on the highway, or whenever you're up to speed, more or less make up for it?
Old 09-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
feelinthegz is on a distinguished road
feelinthegz's Tacoma Gallery
Don't go to Valley-Hi

hey motorkopf, I used to live in Victorville, run as fast as you can away from Valley Hi Toyota, they are scammers including the service dept. I bought 2 Hondas when I lived there and went down the hill to buy. The funny thing is one of the cars was dealer swapped from Valley Hi. Good Luck with your truck!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #15
Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Hadoken's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it's the exact same truck that people are getting 26/27/28 mpg?

I researched into getting a 4 cylinder PRERUNNER and found out that even though it is stickered with the same MPGs as the regular 5 lug model, the Prerunner has different rear end gearing than the regular 4 cylinders.

From what I have researched a regular 5 lug 4 cylinder standard Tacoma should get 24-28 and a 4 cylinder Prerunner gets about 19-23, which unfortunately is not much better than the 2WD V6.

Here is the thread on this forum where I asked about the 4cyl Prerunner MPG.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...acoma-mpg.html
Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
tires 5 psi over door specs, Keep your foot out of it and change the air filter, run syn oil etc...all will add to your mpg.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 AM   #17
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
everything everyone here has said is good advice. I'd also check how your tires are wearing. You may need an alignment.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #18
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Agreed with everything above. I think the ones getting 26/27 aren't pre-runners to start. When I was looking, I considered the i-4 at first but a test drive and realization there's about 3mpg different with the 4.0 was a no brainer for me... Unfortunatly crappy mpg is what we have to pay to drive a truck, any. My Ranger Edge I used to own (3.0 v6) used to get about 17-18... almost exactly what my 4.0L prerunner is getting. I doubt I need to say which is better :P