Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Going to Paint Skid plate need help with paint

Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
Going to Paint Skid plate need help with paint

500th post booya! Anyway I decided I am going to paint my skid plate black. Now how clean do I have to get it before painting? I tried to clean it up, but some of the dirt wont come off. Its been scratched in from wheeling. I am thinking of matching my sliders so I will use some rustoluim hammered finish. Should I use a primer before?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksRig View Post
500th post booya! Anyway I decided I am going to paint my skid plate black. Now how clean do I have to get it before painting? I tried to clean it up, but some of the dirt wont come off. Its been scratched in from wheeling. I am thinking of matching my sliders so I will use some rustoluim hammered finish. Should I use a primer before?
Thanks in advance.
Anywhere there is any dirt, the paint will not stick. Scrub, scrape, hammer, burn, whatever it takes to get that thing clean. PREP IS KEY! Use a primer or a bonding agent to help. Take your time. Easy light coats. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Tried a wire brush to get the thing clean?

Remember, it's a skid plate. You can do a spectacular job prepping, painting, clearcoating, polishing, waxing, etc., but it's still gonna get scraped up and need to be painted again. Do a decent job but don't go too crazy on the thing. You'll be periodically spraying it in the future anyway.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
Right on thanks guys. I will get a wire brush and see what I can do to get it a bit cleaner.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Use hand sander--sand with 80 grit till its almost chrome colored... then prime with filler primer, then paint with textured black paint and call it a day

I've had it like this for about a month and no visible chips
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt primer or anything. Just made sure it was clean and used rubberized undercoating. Already came in black. Been done for about 6 months now and no chips yet!! Just a few minor scratches from rocks but thats about it.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a skid, but have some experience w/ painting metal stuff.

If you have exposed scratches, you probably have rust. Use this http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=398.

Use wirebrush or paint scrubber wheel. It's the paint and rust remover: http://www.gatorfinishing.com/products/19/

As for the final finish, that's your choice. I think the bedliner paint would be a good idea, but don't know.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
go have it line-x'd
Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
I don't have a skid, but have some experience w/ painting metal stuff.

If you have exposed scratches, you probably have rust. Use this http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=398.

Use wirebrush or paint scrubber wheel. It's the paint and rust remover: http://www.gatorfinishing.com/products/19/

As for the final finish, that's your choice. I think the bedliner paint would be a good idea, but don't know.
Good info..
I used spray can bedliner and holds up well, save the rock scrapes. Those are sanded and re-painted as needed.